FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Air points accrual rates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1934676-air-points-accrual-rates.html)

Jan@BRU Oct 9, 2018 7:12 am

Air points accrual rates

Hello folks,
Was just wondering -- is there any documented airpoints dollars and status points accrual table for Air New Zealand operated flights.

I'm aware of the online calculator, but I was wondering whether the underlying "rules" for that calculator are documented somewhere?

I more or less figured it out by trial & error for Star Alliance partner flights (there seems to be fixed values by distance category and cabin/sub cabin class), but even there it's a bit fuzzy for (e.g. sometimes Premium Economy gives additional mileage e.g. SQ, while sometimes it does not e.g. LH).

But my real question is with respect to NZ operated flights in that respect.

Many thanks

Jan

Xiaotung Oct 9, 2018 7:28 am

There is no real table as such. As the programme is not based on distance nor spend, they can allocate whatever points they want. And it's even harder to keep track. Some of my recent long haul flights are earning cents not whole Airpoints Dollars. Since when did they introduce "Airpoints Cents"? I don't think it has ever been communicated.

Regarding SQ, it's the only Star partner that has Premium Economy earn level. While they keep doing patchwork, they don't seem to be bothered to review the whole programme even a little bit.

KiwiJC Oct 9, 2018 7:29 am

There's definitely nothing openly documented, typically I think the view of regular NZ frequent flyers is points earn on NZ is a 'magic' combination of; The price of your ticket, the type of plane, the amount of tax etc. etc. but there's definitely no documentation anywhere to show what those rules actually comprise.

sbiddle Oct 9, 2018 10:36 am

Cents were introduced when they announced the changes about a year or so ago (and cut regional earn at the same time).

oranjemakker Oct 9, 2018 7:26 pm

The airpoints programme is such a product of a monopoly...its so hopeless. is it actually the worst value loyalty programme of any major carrier? (if you consider ANZ a "major carrier"?

KiwiJC Oct 9, 2018 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 30297796)
The airpoints programme is such a product of a monopoly...its so hopeless. is it actually the worst value loyalty programme of any major carrier? (if you consider ANZ a "major carrier"?

For earn & burn, sure, but I would argue the program benefits are better than others (eg. SQ, United etc).

I was very amused to read of the recent "Enhancements" to Krisflyer, including a "short haul upgrade"... but only on effectively a flex economy ticket - great deal for 75K miles on SQ aircraft only! :rolleyes: