No room in Auckland Lounge

Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
They really should have not given up the old lounge space - but instead kept this as there *G/Koru Lounge for passengers traveling in Y/PE. Then made the new lounge for Business // Elite Only
+ A la carte dining
+ Premium wines and champagne
+ Spa or similar
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny
+ A la carte dining
+ Premium wines and champagne
+ Spa or similar
That is what you would get a first lounge. Something that NZ doesn't offer on board. And to really make it a selling point would need the same service at the out stations, so can offer the entire journey. Is it worth adding all that if can't really use it as a selling point to get more business? Don't see NZ giving access to the *A First lounge in LAX for BP.

These things often attract the once a year flyers, are those that attractive for the person who flys week in week out and actually brings money into the airline? For me I like to be able to find a seat, by myself, have a charging point and have the buffet stocked (often see the item run out and not replaced for a bit) and a bigger buffet menu so it doesn't repeat as often (lost count of the number of times I had the beef cheek and chicken targine)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by nzkarit
That is what you would get a first lounge. Something that NZ doesn't offer on board. And to really make it a selling point would need the same service at the out stations, so can offer the entire journey.
Times are changing, see F&B in UA's Polaris lounges. QR are another good example of how to get the ground experience right in J.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by samyoull
Times are changing, see F&B in UA's Polaris lounges. QR are another good example of how to get the ground experience right in J.
Agreed. The bar has been set much higher for a business class lounge experience by United.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Originally Posted by nzkarit
That is what you would get a first lounge. Something that NZ doesn't offer on board. And to really make it a selling point would need the same service at the out stations, so can offer the entire journey. Is it worth adding all that if can't really use it as a selling point to get more business? Don't see NZ giving access to the *A First lounge in LAX for BP.

These things often attract the once a year flyers, are those that attractive for the person who flys week in week out and actually brings money into the airline? For me I like to be able to find a seat, by myself, have a charging point and have the buffet stocked (often see the item run out and not replaced for a bit) and a bigger buffet menu so it doesn't repeat as often (lost count of the number of times I had the beef cheek and chicken targine)
Interestingly enough the *A Lounge (F and J) are run by Air NZ. F access is given to their top tiers; there's also a separate area for either the top tiers or VVIPs at AKL
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
Interestingly enough the *A Lounge (F and J) are run by Air NZ. F access is given to their top tiers; there's also a separate area for either the top tiers or VVIPs at AKL
@PacificStandTime

Actually, no.

I used to visit the NZ lounge when it was in LAX T2. A few years back, the manager told me that when LAX moves all of the international airlines over to TBIT, NZ will run the *A lounge - and it did in the beginning.

I've had recent conversations with the manager of the *A lounge and it is now run by Sodexo.
The is the same group that runs some of the CX lounges HKG and used to run the AC lounges in Canada at least. (AC switched to Compass Group and the quality declined, but I will wager that when you pay less, you get lower quality.)

As for *A LAX TBIT, the Business side is large and spacious of course and the outside deck is great - day and nighttime. But I found the staff not paying attention to keeping things clean (serving areas with drinks and food), same with the washroom/showers - which were not exactly clean, and is how I ended up in conversation with the manager in the first place.

At least they are trying out new food items.

Based on my visits to the F lounge, sometimes they have decent items on the menu, or will make you something. The buffet food are is sad and of course you can go to the Business side for showers, deck and food.

The only highlights in F is that there are few pax, it is quiet and the Beau Joie champagne is fantastic. That lounge needs a makeover though.

BTW, here is the link to the CX thread on the lounges at HKG and Sodexo

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ge-sodexo.html
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
F access is given to their top tiers; there's also a separate area for either the top tiers or VVIPs at AKL
What is the NZ definition of top tier to garner access to the F lounge at TBIT?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by taupo
What is the NZ definition of top tier to garner access to the F lounge at TBIT?
EP1
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:18 pm

@24left - True - Sodexo run, but Air NZ funded lounge. Interestingly enough, saw a BBQ grill out on the deck last time I flew out - anyone see that in action?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:19 pm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/68839546/null
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@24left - True - Sodexo run, but Air NZ funded lounge. Interestingly enough, saw a BBQ grill out on the deck last time I flew out - anyone see that in action?
I have some great photos from the nighttime wine & cheese etc and they light the fire pits and it’s fantastic compared to sitting inside

I’m just catching my flight to NRT now but here is one photo

ottiehund likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:38 pm

Always great to see to see those pits up in action, especially with a drink.
Being a post rain night, probably even better! So no one manning the grill at the southern wall I assume (probably for special events is my guess).
Safe travels!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:44 pm

Got an email this morning saying I’ve been moved to strata as the international lounge is full.

Flying Akl-Mel on Monday NZ123, *S, Koru, going Prem Econ.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by expression
Got an email this morning saying I’ve been moved to strata as the international lounge is full.

Flying Akl-Mel on Monday NZ123, *S, Koru, going Prem Econ.
Welcome to FT!

Of course, being Koru is likely the reason of being 'moved'. As you may know, neither being *S or being in the PE cabin are relevant to consideration of lounge access.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Welcome to FT!

Of course, being Koru is likely the reason of being 'moved'. As you may know, neither being *S or being in the PE cabin are relevant to consideration of lounge access.
Indeed, still peeved but not much I can do about it. Clearly I need to spend more with Air NZ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.