No room in Auckland Lounge

Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
So been in the AKL domestic lounge for a couple of hours (finished a meeting near the airport early, i would not normally arrive so long before a domestic flight!). Interesting how in the last 20 minutes from around 4pm the lounge is turning into a pub. People standing around with beers in their hands. No tank tops, builders cracks or hi-vis vests as yet....
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
So been in the AKL domestic lounge for a couple of hours (finished a meeting near the airport early, i would not normally arrive so long before a domestic flight!). Interesting how in the last 20 minutes from around 4pm the lounge is turning into a pub. People standing around with beers in their hands. No tank tops, builders cracks or hi-vis vests as yet....
give it time
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Anyone know if they are still turning away people to the Strata Lounge? I've got an paid flight in J next Wednesday morning hopefully its not paid J passengers that get send to the strata lounge.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Anyone know if they are still turning away people to the Strata Lounge? I've got an paid flight in J next Wednesday morning hopefully its not paid J passengers that get send to the strata lounge.
We are in the lounge currently, paid J, and I asked on the way in on your behalf. They said they will use the Strata lounge as necessary to balance demand. Judging from previous experiences in the last couple of months they have told me that it is the non J passengers they divert.
The lounge is already quite full. There are very large numbers of staff on everywhere saying it's the busiest day, so everything has been quick and smooth.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: NZ *E
The thing that really frustrates me about all this is that even when it first opened, that AKL international lounge seemed undersized for the crowds -- seems like very poor planning to me
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz
The thing that really frustrates me about all this is that even when it first opened, that AKL international lounge seemed undersized for the crowds -- seems like very poor planning to me
They really should have not given up the old lounge space - but instead kept this as there *G/Koru Lounge for passengers traveling in Y/PE. Then made the new lounge for Business // Elite Only
poopbunny likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AKL domestic lounge question.

I have a friend flying IAH-AKL on a Business Class award ticket (Aeroplan) with a separate AKL-CHC Economy ticket.
Will he have any trouble accessing the AKL domestic lounge?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
AKL domestic lounge question.

I have a friend flying IAH-AKL on a Business Class award ticket (Aeroplan) with a separate AKL-CHC Economy ticket.
Will he have any trouble accessing the AKL domestic lounge?
Unless they have *G they will not meet any lounge eligibility requirements.

I am of course presuming they don't have Koru membership or a credit card giving NZ lounge vouchers.

Last edited by sbiddle; Dec 23, 2018 at 10:11 am
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:52 pm

How long is there connection? The AKL domestic terminal is pretty tragic and not an place that you really want to spend too much time including the Lounge anyway.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Unless they have *G they will not meet any lounge eligibility requirements.
I am of course presuming they don't have Koru membership or a credit card giving NZ lounge vouchers.
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
How long is there connection? The AKL domestic terminal is pretty tragic and not an place that you really want to spend too much time including the Lounge anyway.
Thanks guys. Correct, no *G or other way to get in. Haven't booked AKL-CHC yet so I'll suggest a shorter layover.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
One option for a slightly longer layover is to visit the Villa Maria winery which is about a 5-10 min taxi ride from the airport - https://www.villamaria.co.nz/cafe-an...nd-cellar-door.

It has pretty good food and wine options, plus a tour you can go on. I'd rather a few hours there than in the domestic lounge.
cavemanzk likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks guys. Correct, no *G or other way to get in. Haven't booked AKL-CHC yet so I'll suggest a shorter layover.
Since your friend is travelling on two separate tickets they will not be protected if the international flight is late and they miss check-in for the domestic flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like he can add an AKL-CHC flight to the Aeroplan award ticket so he's protected on a misconnect, and presumably would be able to check a bag all the way to CHC.
With the AKL-CHC segment part of a LAX-CHC Business Class ticket, would that change AKL lounge access?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:38 am

Looks like he can add an AKL-CHC flight to the Aeroplan award ticket so he's protected on a misconnect, and presumably would be able to check a bag all the way to CHC.
All bags must be collected in AKL, then clear customs and MPI (bio security) with the passenger. Once that’s done either:

a. If greater than 60minutes before departure, drop the bags at the International to Domestic transfer check-in.
b. If less than 60minutes take your bags directly to the domestic termial.

With the AKL-CHC segment part of a LAX-CHC Business Class ticket, would that change AKL lounge access?
Didnt think *A rules allowed for access basses on the previous flight? While in the past NZ used to be soft on things like this, they have changed there stance recently with over croweded lounges.

Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:11 am
vga

Programs: yes
as i have always heard it is the busiest!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.