Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No room in Auckland Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
A FA from Air NZ told me the seat greetings for Elite are optional for the FSM’s. They can decide not to do it. So if you get a flight that’s busy or they dont want to/don’t like doing them they don’t have to. Obviously the customer service oriented ones will
jawnbc likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
A FA from Air NZ told me the seat greetings for Elite are optional for the FSM’s. They can decide not to do it. So if you get a flight that’s busy or they dont want to/don’t like doing them they don’t have to. Obviously the customer service oriented ones will
Hopefully not too off topic, but I've been flying EK a bit lately and chuckle to myself a bit at the HVC obligatory greetings they carry out. It always seems to be a fashionably ironic sullen looking young lady who looks like she hasn't had her morning coffee wobbling down the aisle while furiously scrolling through a tablet and a "Welcome on board Mr..... *consults tablet* ....Smith etc." *brief fake smile*
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jawnbc
How, precisely, do you have access to this level of granular, ostensively private, data?
There is a list that they often hang quite openly in the galley on the TT flights. When you are waiting for the toilets its pretty obvious. It says who is NZ Elite, Gold (and Silver I think) and also Star Gold. presumably there is also a category for EP1. Not sure if its the names or just seat numbers
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Markhm

my advice is, if you don’t get one from ISM, then ask. I notice varying levels of service fro handshakes and hellos to dropping paper, water etc in seat along with express pass (pre boarding), then no contact.
Agreed, while the personal greeting is nice to have (and it doesn't bother me at all if i don't get it) the landing cards for Australia are pretty useful at times. I ask (discreetly and not in a DYKWIA way!) if they don't hand them out. Its never been a problem and they happily provide it.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: Air NZ*GE
We all just got the welcome, cards and express ticket wlg to Sydney. In fact they’ve done them the last three trips I think.

I thought everyone got got the landing cards?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by hodi
We all just got the welcome, cards and express ticket wlg to Sydney. In fact they’ve done them the last three trips I think.

I thought everyone got got the landing cards?
Sorry! My typo, i mean express cards!!! yes of course everyone gets the landing cards!!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
3:45pm on a Sunday.
12 people in the whole lounge.
Perfect time to be here!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Wouldn't work due to the number of Elite pax now. It would have to be BP only.

In recent months they've even stopped Elite welcomes TT (and arrival passes) simply because of the number of Elite pax on some flights so there is no time - it's not uncommon now to have up to 1/3 of pax on TT A320 flights to AKL being Elite.
Which is similar to domestic flights within the U.S. when you look at the board and see 86 people awaiting upgrade. At some point the system becomes absurd.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jawnbc
How, precisely, do you have access to this level of granular, ostensively private, data?
​​​​​
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
There is a list that they often hang quite openly in the galley on the TT flights. When you are waiting for the toilets its pretty obvious. It says who is NZ Elite, Gold (and Silver I think) and also Star Gold. presumably there is also a category for EP1. Not sure if its the names or just seat numbers
Well, not just TT.

I saw the PIL for my recent NZ TPAC (I was also curious how my name and info appeared). I see them all the time on AC and other airlines where the sheet is taped to a wall etc in the front galley. This is more often used for the galley FAs to note if someone wants to eat their main meal later in the flight or if I ask cabin crew to not serve the full meal, that I only want the salad and dessert for e.g., they note it on the PIL.

In some cases, the in-flight cabin managers (different titles on each carrier) will have it on their iPads/tablets. It will be a similar grid and may show status color-coded.

On one AC TPAC to TPE, I saw program and *A etc status for AC, UA, NZ, OZ, and BR members. Fascinating really. lol

BTW, on AC, it is also used when taking meal orders as AC status (pecking order if you will) matters. Tiny benefit but not so much when on the typical wide-body YYZ-YVR, or even flights to HKG, everyone in J is 100K. And MMs rank even higher. (Of course this would all be solved nicely if AC could manage pre-order of meals like BR, CX, SQ etc)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Wouldn't work due to the number of Elite pax now. It would have to be BP only.

In recent months they've even stopped Elite welcomes TT (and arrival passes) simply because of the number of Elite pax on some flights so there is no time - it's not uncommon now to have up to 1/3 of pax on TT A320 flights to AKL being Elite.
not sure how we get to this logic given that QF is substantially larger than NZ and has a much larger total FF base (and you would therefore assume more elites). Given QF manage to give First Lounge access to all Platinum (NZ*GE equivalent) and above, it would stand to reason that Air New Zealand could do this at least at their main hub airport.

To me it’s just another example of how AirNZ like to talk about how “innovative” and “industry leading” they are and how “customer focused” they are, but in reality their customer focus relies on hiring nice staff. Don’t get me wrong - they are a decent airline by most standards, but they should really stop taking NZ loyalty for granted and actually invest in the customer experience. They charge premium prices - they should offer a premium product.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
[QUOTE=24left;30489168]​​​​​

"BTW, on AC, it is also used when taking meal orders as AC status (pecking order if you will) matters."

Let's not make a meal of this.....
Tag1987 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Air NZ lounge sending people to Strata on Saturday am - the one person i saw and his family being directed was using lounge vouchers.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: NZ *E
I went in Saturday just before NZ8 and actually asked to go to Strata since could barely find any seats in the lounge!

Then there was a long long line up for the US flight security interviews -- I'd just been on a United operated flight LHR-SFO a couple of weeks earlier and this wasn't a thing (just people with ''ssss" being secondary screened. I wonder why New Zealand is taking a more intense approach?

They really need to sort the situation out at Auckland Airport -- I never thought I'd ever say this, but makes the US airports I come back to seem relaxing in comparison (especially when you add the Polaris lounges into the equation)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz
I wonder why New Zealand is taking a more intense approach?
It is what the US wants, New Zealand doesn't have a say in this.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by nzkarit
It is what the US wants, New Zealand doesn't have a say in this.
Indeed as was explained to me by the NZ AKL agent who scanned my passport, and as I was reminded at the bottom of the escalator at AKL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.