No room in Auckland Lounge

Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
It’s ok. A domestic strata lounge landslide coming soon at Auckland airport.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
AKL Domestic this afternoon about 1630, chokka, not a single seat. People standing etc. Even all the PC areas behind reception were full too. Horrible atmosphere. If it was a nice terminal it would be much more pleasant outside but AKL Domestic is such a s**thole
They could thin out the crowd playing the latest Inflight Safety Video rap over the PA in a continuous loop.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
AKL Domestic this afternoon about 1630, chokka, not a single seat. People standing etc. Even all the PC areas behind reception were full too. Horrible atmosphere. If it was a nice terminal it would be much more pleasant outside but AKL Domestic is such a s**thole
It's not so bad between gates 28-30. Plenty of seats, big windows. In the mornings I have taken to buying something from Shaky Isles and enjoying my breakfast there in peace and quiet, rather the zoo that is the Koru Club. I suppose in the afternoons there might be a more even distribution of busy across both Koru and non-Koru than early mornings, though.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
On the subject of lounges. I just tried out the Qantas First Class lounge in Sydney. What a DREAM! If only we had something like this for Elite.
libertyuk and poopbunny like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
On the subject of lounges. I just tried out the Qantas First Class lounge in Sydney. What a DREAM! If only we had something like this for Elite.
Wouldn't work due to the number of Elite pax now. It would have to be BP only.

In recent months they've even stopped Elite welcomes TT (and arrival passes) simply because of the number of Elite pax on some flights so there is no time - it's not uncommon now to have up to 1/3 of pax on TT A320 flights to AKL being Elite.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle

In recent months they've even stopped Elite welcomes TT (and arrival passes) simply because of the number of Elite pax on some flights so there is no time - it's not uncommon now to have up to 1/3 of pax on TT A320 flights to AKL being Elite.
Goodness! I assume by 'elite' you don't mean only NZ*GE, but anybody with lounge access.

The list could be quite long, and it'd be interesting to know the proportions (for both dom and intl lounges):

Business Class pax
NZ*GE and higher
NZ*G
Other *G
NZ*GE Partner
Koru Club
NZ*S using a voucher
Credit Card holders using a voucher
Guests of any of those above with 'guesting rights'
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:53 pm

Nice eh!
I achieved QF Platinum shortly after NZ fiddled with the APD and SC earn and aligned it to spend in a ridiculously complex manner.

I am glad they did. As it cured my "Stockholm Syndrome" for NZ.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:07 pm

Surely Qantas platinum aren't much higher in number than Air NZ elites? I thought I read somewhere it's easier to achieve platinum than it is to reach Air NZ elite...

​​​​As for Air NZ, unless you utilise APDs like I do a lot, I agree its a terrible FF program. If you DO utilise them though, I haven't seen anything quite like it. You can buy unlimited APDs so you can get guaranteed upgrades for all long haul flights booked relatively in advance.
WoodieNZ likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:50 pm

Qantas platinum I thought I read somewhere it's easier to achieve platinum than it is to reach Air NZ elite...
- QF SC required & requal is lower. NZ you need 150 SC more.
- on TT flights, QF earn could be 2x 3x more. Particularly on sale where not too much SC earn with NZ.
- QF has more double SC promo to everywhere.
- OW alliance partner earn, on average not as heavily penalised by QF as NZ

If Plat/Emerald achieved = First Lounge access with benefits > NZ EP1

For me, a choice of much better wine, choice of always 4x French champagne with restaurant dining manned by Sofitel waiters and quiet private rooms is the main plus.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
From MEL and SYD it is a big factor in picking QF Trans Tasman, it's just another level and means no need to think about economy class food on the flight. Not that MEL or SYD NZ lounges are bad, but at peak times they are more like a noisy rabble with adequate buffet food, rather than a quiet place to work and relax and have a full meal. Once QF finally gets to improving the AKL lounges into something akin to the BNE, HKG, SIN lounge then it will be competitive with the NZ one. As for now, unless the EK lounge is available for a QF AKL departure, neither QF nor NZ have lounges worth spending much time at in AKL.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Once QF finally gets to improving the AKL lounges into something akin to the BNE, HKG, SIN lounge then it will be competitive with the NZ one.
I actually prefer the QF F lounge to NZ in AKL. Mainly for the champagne and there is always hot food. Yes, it can be busy (QF has a lot of Plats too) however the business area is not often utilised which helps.

The lounge is dated, but to me it feels less sterile.

I thought I read somewhere, the lounge is due for a refurb soon removing the F Lounge and probably the champagne too.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
How, precisely, do you have access to this level of granular, ostensively private, data?

Originally Posted by sbiddle

Bub001 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It was very easy to see how many Elite and Elite partners there were on A320 services - you just needed to look who they were greeting, and on flights to Aussie who they were handing express arrival cards to. Ex WLG this would often be a minimum of 20 people, more of busier flights such as Sunday afternoons or Monday mornings over.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:17 am

I have never once received a welcome on any flight as an elite let alone an arrival card, and I have definitely been on planes with less than one third pax elites. I know that because I know how many of us left the lounge, and less than one third of those on the plane did, and as we know, a good number in the lounge are obviously not elite.

I suspect its more just laziness/overworking most of the time. I flew with Qantas LAX to Brisbane in J and didn't get a single hot towel. Low and behold, venture in Qantas forum, it turns out whether you get one is the whim of the cabin manger that day.

Not that I care about a greeting, but damn, I would like those arrival cards...
jawnbc likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I have never once received a welcome on any flight as an elite let alone an arrival card, and I have definitely been on planes with less than one third pax elites. I know that because I know how many of us left the lounge, and less than one third of those on the plane did, and as we know, a good number in the lounge are obviously not elite.

I suspect its more just laziness/overworking most of the time. I flew with Qantas LAX to Brisbane in J and didn't get a single hot towel. Low and behold, venture in Qantas forum, it turns out whether you get one is the whim of the cabin manger that day.

Not that I care about a greeting, but damn, I would like those arrival cards...
my advice is, if you don’t get one from ISM, then ask. I notice varying levels of service fro handshakes and hellos to dropping paper, water etc in seat along with express pass (pre boarding), then no contact.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.