Search

No room in Auckland Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Rebound
People outside the lounge pointing and yelling at staff on Wednesday
That's sad, it's not their fault.
Whatever they did on Thursday worked. We got there about 0820, deliberately just after the busiest time period, and it was the quietest I have seen it in a very long time, it was actually pleasant for once.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmonster
not so sure what this suppose to mean?
the only thing was the location and may be the floor area
but it is not a fair comparison on other front - facilities, food options, seats etc.
I must say NZ has improved on food selection, but it is still way below when compared to SQ and food selection by TG
how does the NZ lounge compare with the Polaris lounge ?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Beano
how does the NZ lounge compare with the Polaris lounge ?
There is no comparison. The Toyota Yaris and the Mercedes C class are both cars with 4 wheels and an engine, but I know which I'd rather drive to Auckland in.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by edmm
Whatever they did on Thursday worked. We got there about 0820, deliberately just after the busiest time period, and it was the quietest I have seen it in a very long time, it was actually pleasant for once.
just to be clear, is there a chance that Koru members are being turned away from the lounge / sent to another lounge?

Is this just for school hols or permanent?

I can understand voucher holders being turned away, but if you or your company had paid for Koru benefits, and lounge entry was denied, isn’t that a breach of contract?

Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging

just to be clear, is there a chance that Koru members are being turned away from the lounge / sent to another lounge?

Is this just for school hols or permanent?

I can understand voucher holders being turned away, but if you or your company had paid for Koru benefits, and lounge entry was denied, isn’t that a breach of contract?

They are just load balancing between lounges. They never say which lounge in T&Cs
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by mmonster
I must say NZ has improved on food selection, but it is still way below when compared to SQ and food selection by TG
SQ is using the NZ lounge in Auckland. On my recent trip to London in J, I thought the NZ lounge was far superior to the SQ lounges in SIN and LHR. The SQ business facilities were especially poor, but I found the food underwhelming too. YMMV.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Wasn't the SIN SATS lounge the one everybody hated?
It's better than the Krisflyer Gold lounge, which admittedly isn't a high threshold to cross. I've been to domestic United Clubs in the US that beat the Krisflyer Gold lounge.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by edmm
My understanding is they are telling people on select flights to use the Strata lounge, looks to be the islands as far as i could tell. I don't know if that affects Elites
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
No issues before NZ8 on Friday night. Plenty of space in there.

I was going to head to the Strata lounge as well to compare the two but had a bad day and didn't have time.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I retain elite status the hard way, crawling up the tiers flying NZ mostly regionally and on trunk routes. The attempt at culling the regional qualifiers by halving the status point earn a year ago has clearly not worked, or more likely that was not the cause of the crowding. A relatively buoyant economy keeps us travelling (and adding to the NZ record profits) - we have had three years of Jetstar regional operations and NZ regional lounge use is climbing.
Part of this is also NZ's JV mania (which actually might get some respite from the VA divorce, though QF could replace some of them). Cathay, Virgin and to some extent Aerolineas' and Etihad passengers have right of entry.
This looks like the loyalty and alliance team have exceeded their targets with little consideration as to the impact on other bits of their business.

And whilst the schools might head back next week, I can assure you plenty parents take their kids out of school to 'enjoy' the cheaper fares. My Wife is a primary school teacher and attendance gets a little sloppy either side of the official holidays.
Ellice and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I agree. Having heard great things about it for so many years, the actual experience was "meh". It's yuge, but super busy. Hot food was variable in quality. Coffee was not great. I think the NZ international lounge at AKL is streets better--even when busy.

Originally Posted by gratn
SQ is using the NZ lounge in Auckland. On my recent trip to London in J, I thought the NZ lounge was far superior to the SQ lounges in SIN and LHR. The SQ business facilities were especially poor, but I found the food underwhelming too. YMMV.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: CX, NZ, EK, SQ
Air NZ's AKL International Lounge (including past) only has a "wow factor" if Air NZ lounge are the only lounges you've ever experienced. Even Iberia's flagship, and similar "1960's public cafeteria" concept, Business Lounge leaves Air NZ's unimaginative and grubby (food and drink strewn floors, toilets awash in urine puddle ... as, generally, are all Auckland Airport toilets) in the dust.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by gratn

Fair enough, I am thinking that the SQ lounge in SYD is a lot better than the NZ lounge in terms of food selection, the one in HKG is good too and much better than UA one, and even CX on some occasions.
Ellice likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
My question would be, at the time they are rejecting passengers from there own lounge. How manny passengers from other contracted airlines will be using the NZ loubge? One would hope they got bounced to the Strata Lounge first.

For one I really think in the mean time they need to make it an non-star allowance Gold lounge.
NZ can easily proactively contact its own passengers and ask them to use the Strata lounge. Whereas for other airlines' passengers they either need to redirect at lounge entry (risking confrontation) or ask the other airline to redirect for them.

NZ lounge will always be *G lounge as long as NZ remains in *A. AFAIK the only instances of *A-operated lounges not being *G lounges are where they are F/top elite status only (eg LH F/HON lounges), or where there is a backup *G lounge available (eg SQ Silver Kris lounges at SIN T3).
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
NZ can easily proactively contact its own passengers and ask them to use the Strata lounge. Whereas for other airlines' passengers they either need to redirect at lounge entry (risking confrontation) or ask the other airline to redirect for them.
I am sure some would be happy for NZ to contact them with a Strata Lounge alternative during busy periods plus x APD / x SC compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.