No room in Auckland Lounge

Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Strata has hit back at suggestions that their offering is second class. It suggests they are better than NZ's Koru.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12140630
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Does anybody know what award they got second in? I certainly can't see reference to one anywhere.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
Strata has hit back at suggestions that their offering is second class. It suggests they are better than NZ's Koru.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12140630
"Arrived at Strata lounge - limited food choices and no fresh coffee and certainly no soy"
I think we may have just hit peak first world problems
ps107 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Does anybody know what award they got second in? I certainly can't see reference to one anywhere.
Priority Pass:

Best Lounge in Asia-Pacific: SATS Premier Lounge T2, Changi International Airport

The SATS Lounge offers travelers a true experience of Singapore's culture, food, and entertainment. This lounge is continually ranked high on the "Best of" lists because of its unique features and superior service. One of the most popular items offered at this lounge are the Mooncakes, which are made only during the Mooncake Festival.

The second place in this category was awarded to Strata Lounge at Auckland International Airport.
https://news.get.com/priority-pass-u...-around-world/
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I’m surprised Luxton lasted so long .... period
Bub001 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Wasn't the SIN SATS lounge the one everybody hated?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:29 pm

Its a Priority Pass award, so second best Priority Pass lounge? Which all the airlines owned lounges weren't part of it.

Its just like every airline having a rated in as best airline by X in 2018 award.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Nz*G
Strata lounge guy gave Koru Lounge a really good booting haha
love his comment
"I highly recommend that kiwis start booking instead of wasting big bucks on membership of other, ex corporate lounges that now prefer to fill up on noisy children (as they eat less)."
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Now the Travel Editor of the NZ Herald has written an article comparing the two lounges. The Strata lounge comes out of the pretty well, I think.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/ne...ectid=12140933
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I like how the winner in a contest between Strata and Koru is Qantas First.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Since I have started flying Chinese carriers, i have used the Strata lounge a few times and its really not bad. I agree with some comments that the food is on a par or better than NZ lounge. in Christchurch China Southern uses the Manaia lounge, which apart from its shortage of power ports is not bad either. And the ANZ international lounge in CHC is nothing special

My only comment would be on the kids and families, the NZ International lounge in AKL actually caters well to kids, they have a very cool kids area that is totally separate from the rest of the lounge. You have got to give ANZ credit for that, it keeps kids entertained and keeps them apart from other guests. Even in CHC they have a separate kids room
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
My only comment would be on the kids and families, the NZ International lounge in AKL actually caters well to kids, they have a very cool kids area that is totally separate from the rest of the lounge. You have got to give ANZ credit for that, it keeps kids entertained and keeps them apart from other guests. Even in CHC they have a separate kids room
Which is in hindsight one of the issues with the NZ Lounge - its too kid friendly, and kids don't count towards 'guest allowances'. Then leads to over crowed lounges durring the School Holidays.
Ellice and Erasmus III like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:05 pm

How did we all survive ~3 years ago when the Strata lounge was the Koru lounge?

​​​​​
jawnbc likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by ps107
How did we all survive ~3 years ago when the Strata lounge was the Koru lounge?

​​​​​
not so sure what this suppose to mean?
the only thing was the location and may be the floor area
but it is not a fair comparison on other front - facilities, food options, seats etc.
I must say NZ has improved on food selection, but it is still way below when compared to SQ and food selection by TG
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
People outside the lounge pointing and yelling at staff on Wednesday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.