Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No room in Auckland Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:56 am

Got an email saying I've received 2 Koru lounge passes from my credit card spend today. Great timing!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
They could try the UA approach - Air NZ Business Premier "Polaris" type lounges with access only for C passengers flying any *A airline departing that airport. Takes a few 772/773 loads of BP and equivalent pax out of the Koru lounge and with a stricter guesting policy and cutting out *G pax flying in Y or A class...
If they don’t supply a satisfactory offering for NZ*G and NZ*E flying Y or PE they would likely lose a significant amount of loyalty and revenue from many of their customers. There a significant number of us qualifying on mainly personal spend who don’t necessarily fly J all the time. While I have only flown Y I think one international flight in a number of years I often fly PE especially TT. If I cannot get decent lounge access for myself and my wife I would seriously reconsider my loyalty to NZ. As sbiddle has said I the past he and others find Y satisfactory TT given the quick flight. However many have pointed out in a recent thread the terrible Y food offering and how they rely on the lounge. Personally I think NZ would be foolish to try to create a Polaris type premium lounge for Business class passengers only as in many ports it would’ve an underused space in terms of their own Business passengers. I think the Elite guesting should be reduced to 2 guests with Gold and Koru at 1, children should count irrespective of age.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by edmm
Absolutely. We spent much of a day in the SFO Polaris lounge in May. It was great, everything a lounge should be- quiet, spacious, comfortable and good food. You pay huge money for NZ C. It's about time we got value for money.
This bring up the old argument around what constitutes a HVC to the airline (and alliance), and what the relative 'ranking' should be (or "who merits getting booted from the lounge first") - a business passenger, an elite G/GE in economy, or a Koru Club member?

The spend required to reach NZ*G/GE status (and *G in most *A programs) is non-trivial, particularly if self-paid.

What is the right answer?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by drajknox
Personally I think NZ would be foolish to try to create a Polaris type premium lounge for Business class passengers only as in many ports it would’ve an underused space in terms of their own Business passengers. I think the Elite guesting should be reduced to 2 guests with Gold and Koru at 1, children should count irrespective of age.
To be fair, in 5 years of Elite I think I have used the additional guesting once or twice and only on a domestic flight, so I wouldn't notice if it disappeared myself - I'm sure others do use it though.

I wonder if the answer is:
  1. Create a top tier lounge for Business/Elite/EP1
  2. Remove guesting off Koru, but reduce the price as well to compensate
  3. Reduce or remove entirely the contracting out of the Auckland International Lounge
I'm sure scenario's like this are the kind of thing that the AirNZ team is considering internally, but given the media attention over the last few days hopefully we will see a bit more movement over the next few months to fix it.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I also really wonder how much of a problem the Elite 5 guest allowance is.

Clearly in the domestic lounges at times there are corporate Elite's who will happily guest in multiple people and I've seen this plenty of times. For international lounges it isn't something I've ever seen.

The simple reality is that Air NZ clearly has too many HVCs - despite plenty of people in here believing they have the worst FFP in the world!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I just wonder with the huge increase in tourist traffic if in fact *A users could be a contributing factor given quite a few *A carriers now operate in and out of Auckland
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Let's be honest, if you don't fly NZ internationally (and use the NZ lounge), your alternatives aren't that compelling. Until QF upgrades its lounges, its offering is poor (both the Business and First ones are overcrowded and mediocre at times). Emirates is decent, but unless you are heading Dubai and beyond or Bali (or it is open when a QF flight is operating), it's of little real interest to NZ. Contrast AKL to SYD or MEL, where there are far more choices and NZ isn't a default to attract airlines as a contract lounge, nor is it dominant.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ClanJ
I just wonder with the huge increase in tourist traffic if in fact *A users could be a contributing factor given quite a few *A carriers now operate in and out of Auckland
My guess is that the swelling of numbers would be from Koru Club members - perhaps a sizeable (majority in domestic) proportion of those in the lounge - perhaps more so in the past 5 years with fewer public/private businesses allowing staff to travel in business class. I expect that some will have KC paid for by the company, rather than personally.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Have been in heaps of *A carrier lounges in the past 3 months and the most crowded one you guessed it was the Auckland one when we left. As an aside flew from Milan back home with Thai Air via BKK. in J. In the BBK to AKL had a faulty armrest in my seat which I informed them of. They got back to really quick with an apology and 5000 miles to my FF account which was totally unexpected. Great customer service.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The simple reality is that Air NZ clearly has too many HVCs - despite plenty of people in here believing they have the worst FFP in the world!
Agreed - which all comes down to NZ have an large monopoly over the New Zealand market. For most Frequently Flys NZ is really the only choice.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk

Agreed - which all comes down to NZ have an large monopoly over the New Zealand market. For most Frequently Flys NZ is really the only choice.
Totally. Not really any viable alternative to NZ when travelling for business if you want connection options and choice of flight times during the day. As you say, must be one of the strongest airline monopolies around.

I’d say by far the bulk of the elites are getting there by way of corporate travel, not through their discretionary, personal travel spend.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I guess the one thing that really interests me about this whole issue is why things are so bad this week. Yes lounges are always busy during school holidays, but it's the end of school holidays so you'd assume most international traffic is inbound, not outbound.

I really think both AIAL and Air NZ are just as bad as each other in many respects. As we all know Auckland Airport has been a construction zone for literally the last 20 or so years with almost permanent "upgrades" taking place. AIAL's tendency is to do things long after they're needed, and if you look back at their annual reports you'll see most planned works do happen - but years after they were actually required.

As of this years annual report they're still saying the new domestic terminal will be ready in 2022 but the 2022 has a big * next to it and will probably end up being the date they finally decide on the final plans.. It'll be an awfully expensive new regional lounge if it's only going to have a life of 3 years before being scrapped.

Overcrowding at International Koru has been an issue essentially since the lounge was opened and Air NZ's response has essentially been to do very little. If they'd genuinely thought they had needed a 2nd lounge in the new pier then surely they would have begun construction of this in conjunction with the new pier, and not waited until it was complete to announce something.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Swings and roundabouts

After all the bad press, I was expecting the AKL domestic Koru to be busy this morning (even though I know the media focus has been international). Instead, it’s empty. It’s a nice reminder of what lounges are “meant” to be like.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Overcrowding at International Koru has been an issue essentially since the lounge was opened and Air NZ's response has essentially been to do very little. If they'd genuinely thought they had needed a 2nd lounge in the new pier then surely they would have begun construction of this in conjunction with the new pier, and not waited until it was complete to announce something.
I raised the problem of the International lounge directly with Mr Luxon two years ago. He was very frank that they had an issue and were working on it.
Two years later and nothing has improved. It is time for Mr Luxon to walk the walk. Not just admit they have problems and do nothing about it.

In my business if we did not address client issues within two year we would have been out of business long time ago.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
I

In my business if we did not address client issues within two year we would have been out of business long time ago.
The joys of being a monopoly. Ultimately we are stuck with them. Currently on the phone negotiating with them wanting to charge a service fee for me changing flights on a flexi which I was unable to do online.

Their charging of service fees for everything, even for Elites, is outrageous, but like this Koru lounge issue when we have no viable alternative, at least for domestic, what can we do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.