Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Non-NZ/Aus residents can't book through AU website?

Old Oct 7, 18, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, BA Gold, QF Gold, AF Ivory, FlyBe, ANA, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Gold

So I sign onto my account through the UK portal, all fine. Then try to book Australia-NZ flight. It tells me it is redirecting me to the com.au site. Fine.

On that site I am NOT logged in. So I do a search, get a fare for a flight, then try to log in and it says "Airpoints members not living in New Zealand, Australia or Cook Islands cannot book online"

SO then I log in through the NZ portal, and I can book the exact same flight no problem, except that the fare is significantly higher. A$441 has become NZ$625 (A$571).

So back to Qantas then, which doesn't care where my QFF membership is, it quotes everything that starts in Australia in $A at the same price.
Old Oct 7, 18, 2:04 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Can you book without logging onto your airpoints account? e.g. just adding your airpoints number on the booking instead?
Old Oct 7, 18, 2:30 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Won't that be somewhat related to Aussie's having their APD in AUD opposed to everyone else who has their APD in NZD?
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I just tried booking a SYD-WLG flight after logging into the UK site and see this priced in UKP. Obviously this is more expensive than both NZ and AU sites since they don't sell S2S product outside NZ and AU.

Obviously there are pros and cons of booking on the NZ or AU site depending on whether there is a sale on. Either one could deliver the cheaper fare.
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:41 pm

As mentioned by others if you aren't using Airpoints then just book without logging in. You can add your number after booking to get the frequent flyer seating etc.

If trying to use Airpoints then you'll need to book through the New Zealand website. Otherwise you could try using a website like webjet an online based Aussie travel booking site which does show the different products.
Beano likes this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:07 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Won't that be somewhat related to Aussie's having their APD in AUD opposed to everyone else who has their APD in NZD?
Yes it's possibly related to the fact that in Australia, our Airpoints are denominated in AUAPD. That said, we can book on the .co.nz site, and the APD are converted automatically into AUAPD, so they can obviously handle it.

I think it's more likely however that it's because Air New Zealand has significant competition for flights departing the Australian east coast, so offer significantly cheaper fares ex-Australia, but obviously don't want people in NZ using positioning flights to Brisbane or Sydney and taking their flights ex-AU.
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:12 am

Just book on Aussie site without AP number then when ticketed sign into your AP account, enter booking code and then pick seats etc. Do it all the time to get cheaper fares ex Aus, nothing to do with being in UK but cannot use AP$ as far as I know.
serfty and Beano like this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 4:02 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
The only way to use your APD to book is to change your address to an AU (and your APD will be converted to $AUAPD) one otherwise as others suggest, book without logging in.
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, BA Gold, QF Gold, AF Ivory, FlyBe, ANA, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Gold
Ah I was trying to do CBR-WLG (added complication with the QF leg), which wont book on the UK site at all. Not trying to use APD at all.
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
Ah I was trying to do CBR-WLG (added complication with the QF leg), which wont book on the UK site at all. Not trying to use APD at all.
Interesting.

It looks like no journeys that involve a QF flight can be booked from either to or from NZ can be booked from the.co.uk site but are instead redirected to the .co.nz or .com.au sites. They can be booked from the .com site

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some fine print in the QF/NZ partnership imposing this restriction.
Old Oct 15, 18, 12:29 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime Gold (MR)
Always use a VPN that "locates" you in NZ or Oz!
Old Oct 15, 18, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
No need.
Old Oct 15, 18, 4:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
It's not geolocated, it's a POS restriction. UA does the same thing - you can't book a UA flight in $US if you log into a MileagePlus account located in another country, even if you have a $US denominated payment instrument - and the markup is hideous.