FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Oh No ... not another one ! (A blockbuster Air NZ Safety Video) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1931990-oh-no-not-another-one-blockbuster-air-nz-safety-video.html)

ottiehund Sep 23, 2018 12:30 am

Oh No ... not another one ! (A blockbuster Air NZ Safety Video)

Air NZ has a 'summer wonderland' safety video, and it's quite the blockbuster

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/107299606/air-nz-has-a-new-summer-wonderland-safety-video-and-its-quite-the-blockbuster

Maybe it is just me, but I do cringe when faced with these long safety videos.

I actually tend to feel there is a real risk that the message gets lost as well, I know I tend to pay less attention for example.

Perhaps it would be an interesting study to be done to test recall of safety instructions after viewing a standard video and a themed video, from non- regular travellers.

RTWFF Sep 23, 2018 1:14 am

Originally Posted by ottiehund (Post 30234963)

Air NZ has a 'summer wonderland' safety video, and it's quite the blockbuster

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/107299606/air-nz-has-a-new-summer-wonderland-safety-video-and-its-quite-the-blockbuster. Maybe it is just me, but I do cringe when faced with these long safety videos. I actually tend to feel there is a real risk that the message gets lost as well, I know I tend to pay less attention for example.Perhaps it would be an interesting study to be done to test recall of safety instructions after viewing a standard video and a themed video, from non- regular travellers.

Given the prevalence of mobile phones and tablets, and gate-to-gate use of mobile devices in Australia I'm surprised anyone takes the slightest notice of safety videos

sbiddle Sep 23, 2018 2:15 am

I always enjoy flying on the 1st of the Month when the manual safety demonstration takes about 1/2 the time -.. and people watch assuming that the screens are broken or something.

cavemanzk Sep 23, 2018 2:24 am

Originally Posted by ottiehund (Post 30234963)
Perhaps it would be an interesting study to be done to test recall of safety instructions after viewing a standard video and a themed video, from non- regular travellers.

Mutli choice quiz you have to answer to unlock your PTV?

ottiehund Sep 23, 2018 4:18 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30235118)
I always enjoy flying on the 1st of the Month when the manual safety demonstration takes about 1/2 the time -.. and people watch assuming that the screens are broken or something.

Being in a regional centre the first leg of many trips are manual demonstrations - maybe that makes the contrast even more stark for me. They had a novelty factor once, but no more, that ran out rather quickly.

drajknox Sep 23, 2018 5:32 am

I’m just really pleased that there is a new one imminent. I’ve heard the Antarctica one so many times - 8 in the last couple of weeks (I’m sure others have suffered even more) - and frankly am bored with it - I didn’t think it was much good to start with! The video is one of the first impressions some people get in respect of NZ and New Zealand and it should be impressive with respect to our country and its talents and features. I do think that many have been too long and/or disjointed. It is also important that in being impressive they appeal to non-New Zealanders and don’t require knowledge of nuances of our culture or history to impress or be understood.

Top of climb Sep 23, 2018 10:17 pm

1. My wife is thoroughly sick of the Antarctic video, and the Summer of Safety video, and pretty much every Air NZ video going.
2. I showed her TK's Lego Movie safety video, and she declared it the most awesome safety video she had ever seen and that she wouldn't mind watching that over and over. At 3 and a half minutes it is also mercifully shorter than any of NZ's efforts.

kyanar Sep 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Phew - it's just another safety video. I was concerned they'd won another Airline Ratings Airline of the Year award to smack us in the face with every time we buckle up!

sbiddle Sep 24, 2018 12:32 am

Originally Posted by kyanar (Post 30237970)
Phew - it's just another safety video. I was concerned they'd won another Airline Ratings Airline of the Year award to smack us in the face with every time we buckle up!

Haven't heard that for a while now. Maybe somebody finally realised how cringeworthy it is.

Trumpkin Sep 24, 2018 12:57 am

https://www.carat.com/nz/en/work/a-f...ney-into-data/

Some interesting reading about the level of marketing that Air NZ put into making the videos get 10 million+ views and the effort to make it happen.

It is clear that the safety part isn't the prime driver for making the videos.

Kiwi Flyer Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin (Post 30238243)
https://www.carat.com/nz/en/work/a-f...ney-into-data/

Some interesting reading about the level of marketing that Air NZ put into making the videos get 10 million+ views and the effort to make it happen.

It is clear that the safety part isn't the prime driver for making the videos.

Of course not. There is no safety reason for updating the video a few times a year.

sbiddle Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm

And the Antarctica award won big at the APEX awards yesterday.

jawnbc Sep 25, 2018 8:31 pm

If they're gonna hire Americans for these things, at least hire Americans whom we might recognise. Still have no idea who the Antarctic dude/guest is. Also, if you're doing an (Ant)Arctic video you obviously should've used a Canadian celebrity.

Sorry.

nzkarit Sep 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc (Post 30245918)
If they're gonna hire Americans for these things, at least hire Americans whom we might recognise. Still have no idea who the Antarctic dude/guest is. Also, if you're doing an (Ant)Arctic video you obviously should've used a Canadian celebrity.

Sorry.

Why? NZers are not the target for the marketing via the safety video. NZers already have brand awareness of AirNZ.

The number of people in NZ who fly/looking for flights and don't know that AirNZ is an airline will be fairly close to zero.

kiwifrequentflyer Sep 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Do I get sick of these videos? Yes. Do I prefer simple safety videos (or even no videos) as a frequent flyer? Yes. Do I care? No. These videos are a great marketing ploy for Air NZ and I welcome them getting more business. And also, for my friends/family that travel very infrequently, they make the trip a bit more "fun" for them, and set a warm tone on the plane.

The only thing I dislike is that my partner doesn't like it if I put headphones on and ignore the safety presentations (despite the fact we fly all the time) so if we travel together, I have to watch these videos again and again, haha.