An Update from Air New Zealand

Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:38 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
An Update from Air New Zealand

Email just received.

Kia ora WLG Base

As New Zealand’s national airline, I’m very conscious that we occupy a special place in the hearts of Kiwis. It’s an affection and responsibility that generations of Air New Zealand staff feel and has driven them to deliver a truly world class travel experience.

Frustratingly, our ability to deliver this over the past year has been severely impacted and many of our customers have experienced disruptions and delays, rescheduled flights, unexpected replacement aircraft and over-crowded lounges. I really do apologise and thank you for your patience and support of the airline at this time.

Consequently, I thought it might help if I shared some context with you as to what’s going on and more importantly what we are doing about it.

What's been going on?

It’s been an incredibly challenging year at Air New Zealand dealing with some extraordinary operational challenges that started with the rupture of the fuel pipeline north of Auckland and a series of extreme weather events. However, the biggest challenge has been the unscheduled global maintenance issues with the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines that power our 787 Dreamliners. Some of these engines have experienced durability issues which have increased the number and frequency of engineering checks required. This has meant that at any time up to five of our 13 787 Dreamliners must be grounded while the engines are serviced in Singapore.

This has placed significant pressure on our whole interconnected network of over 3,500 weekly flights and I will be meeting with Rolls Royce management in London in a few weeks to further seek personal reassurance that all is being done to get our affected engines back in service as soon as possible.

While I’m immensely proud of the agility and resilience of all Air New Zealanders in responding to these recent challenges, we now need to implement more assertive actions so that we can more reliably deliver our schedule for our customers.

What are we doing about it?

To cope with our reduced fleet, we have had to lease three other aircraft from two of the world’s top airlines. These are flown by Air New Zealand crew and have been equipped with our food and beverages, but do come with a different interior configuration to our own fleet.

We will also further protect ourselves from unexpected disruptions by stopping flying to Vietnam next year, suspending our services to Haneda in Tokyo and slightly reducing our frequency to Argentina and Taipei. These are big decisions to make but are vital to free up capacity and let us concentrate on delivering a better experience across the board.

Another issue that has disrupted our operations has been the significant increase in people passing through airports in New Zealand. Simply put, some airport facilities, especially in Auckland, are struggling to keep up with the surge in demand for air travel due to under investment by the airport companies. Currently, I am working with the Chief Executive Officers of several airports to do whatever we can to accelerate improvements. We have also invested in a lounge redevelopment programme and plans are well underway for a new regional lounge and upgraded domestic lounge in Auckland and another lounge at the international terminal. We also have upgrades planned at Wellington and several regional airports.

A strong theme of feedback from customers has been frustration about call wait times into the Contact Centre, especially during periods of weather disruptions. So, we’re in the process of hiring a further 80 Contact Centre employees and have committed to expanding the self-service options and digital tools over the next six months.

In closing, thank you for your loyalty, patience and support as we are working through these recent operational challenges. While these are not in our direct control, how we choose to respond certainly is.

Going forward, I want you to know that I am committed to keeping you informed each month and sharing the way that Air New Zealand will grow and adapt to continue delivering a truly world class travel experience.

Ngā mihi

Christopher Luxon

Chief Executive Officer
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:46 pm

Is this the first time Luxon has made reference to the Trent issues and the over crowding?

I hope the Wgtn Airport CEO is on the list to talk to, as the International lounge needs room particularly with the A321 coming online soon.

More contact centre staff will be handy. (though could also reduce the wait time by shorting the IVR intro. Don't need say and wait for a timeout saying we have recognise your Airpoints number from your phone number, press one to change or wait 5-10 seconds for it to timeout if it is actually you.
Having more self service like accept time changes online would be nice, particularly the five minute changes.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:52 pm

Great...I think the explanation and solutions have been a bit late coming, but it’s good to hear there’s a plan. Now here’s my challenge to him...when he flies to London, try doing it in Economy using no staff or FF benefits at all. No lounge, no preferred seats, no priority lines...nothing, and do so in the centre block of seats not on the aisle...then stand up and extol the virtues of Air NZ. I believe the previous CEO used to do a day a month in the trenches...would do the current CEO no harm to fly once a year as a “seldom” flyer.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bub001
Great...I think the explanation and solutions have been a bit late coming, but it’s good to hear there’s a plan. Now here’s my challenge to him...when he flies to London, try doing it in Economy using no staff or FF benefits at all. No lounge, no preferred seats, no priority lines...nothing, and do so in the centre block of seats not on the aisle...then stand up and extol the virtues of Air NZ. I believe the previous CEO used to do a day a month in the trenches...would do the current CEO no harm to fly once a year as a “seldom” flyer.
On of the US airlines like AA introduced a policy, head office staff on business flights under four hours, basic economy (opposed to the space+ economy).

Yes Rob Fyfe did one day month on checkin, baggage handling, etc (the non certified roles), can talk with the workers to understand the business and their ideas for improvements. Also after the Chch earthquake he was going down on the first flight and out on the last flight and doing the day in the checkin area. Got to see the passengers & staff's issues first hand and address the problems.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Yeah my Haneda flight is January has just been cancelled. a shame as I prefer it over Narita
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Interesting about second lounge in AKL Int. Wonder if it will be a second lounge or if they’ll split into different tiered lounges.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Interesting about second lounge in AKL Int. Wonder if it will be a second lounge or if they’ll split into different tiered lounges.
My understanding is that it will be on the new pier, so it will just be a lounge. Will be interesting to know if it will be pre or post the secondary screening.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Sam_87
Yeah my Haneda flight is January has just been cancelled. a shame as I prefer it over Narita
It is rather interesting, I have read from airline route that it is due to seasonal availability to slots at HND.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:36 am
THR

I assume the Haneda suspension is genuinely temporary - given RWC next year...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by Bub001
Luxon should make sure it’s an overnight flight along with all the other criteria you’ve listed there...

Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Just had two MEL flights cancelled, a SYD flight moved 4 hours, my HKG flight retimed and my HND cancelled (and no overnight option - only day time from AKL) - frustrating...
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mmonster
It is rather interesting, I have read from airline route that it is due to seasonal availability to slots at HND.
Air NZ only have a night slot into HND (2200-0600) for NZ91/NZ92 which is why they land at 0555 and takeoff at 2205 but this means they have an aircraft on the ground for 18 hours.

They were unable to change this slot time so in light of the 787 shortage having a plane on the ground for 18 hours simply doesn't stack up, in part because they also need a 3rd 787 for KIX which is seasonal.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Haneda is the best option for flying into Tokyo. So much closer to town, and quicker to access than Narita.

The scheduled flights from Auckland to Narita require an overnight in Auckland if travelling from the regions. And then a daytime flight.

Very disappointing to loose this option.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC:E - NZ:G-E - Virgin Australia: G - Hilton:G- AF:blue
I have been told that, in order to be allowed to fly to Haneda, you need to have a regular service to Narita. This is probably why NRT remains
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jdavido
I have been told that, in order to be allowed to fly to Haneda, you need to have a regular service to Narita. This is probably why NRT remains
Correct. Most airlines would ditch NRT in a heartbeat if they could, but keeping this rule ensures that this doesn't happen so NRT remains sustainable as an airport now that international slots are available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.