Multi-stop and paying by APD?

Old Sep 16, 18, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Multi-stop and paying by APD?

Hi there
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.
I wonder if it is possible to book a mutli stop itinerary on Air NZ's website and have it paid for by APD (of course excluding taxes?)
I have tried to make a dummy booking and that option is not available so I take it as a no. Alternatively, is it possible to book through an Air NZ agent with any fees waived?

Many thanks
Old Sep 16, 18, 4:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
There are no restrictions on paying for multi stop flights with APD - I've done this before and checking now this works fine.

Are you sure you're not including flights on a 3rd party carrier? Since you can only use APD for flights on NZ metal as as well as selected VA, SQ (to SIN), CX (to HKG) and UA (to SFO) flights.
Old Sep 16, 18, 5:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
There are no restrictions on paying for multi stop flights with APD - I've done this before and checking now this works fine.

Are you sure you're not including flights on a 3rd party carrier? Since you can only use APD for flights on NZ metal as as well as selected VA, SQ (to SIN), CX (to HKG) and UA (to SFO) flights.
Add CA to PEK to the list but I don't think you can do it with SQ.
Old Sep 16, 18, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

thanks, this highlight my problem, there is a leg operated by JAL from Tokyo to HKG.... so does it mean that I cannot pay for the itinerary because of this?
Old Sep 16, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mmonster View Post
thanks, this highlight my problem, there is a leg operated by JAL from Tokyo to HKG.... so does it mean that I cannot pay for the itinerary because of this?
Simple answer - no.

I don't know however if there is any way of getting a CSR to break the itinerary down and being able to pay using APD for the NZ metal component and then the tax along with JAL fare by credit card. I've certainly never heard of anybody doing this, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
Old Sep 16, 18, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Simple answer - no.

I don't know however if there is any way of getting a CSR to break the itinerary down and being able to pay using APD for the NZ metal component and then the tax along with JAL fare by credit card. I've certainly never heard of anybody doing this, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.
thanks sbiddle - always great to have you helping out, and also Xiaodung
like that attitude, but I am thinking they would could not want to let me know how much they are charged by JAL. To me (on the ground as a consumer) I hope I can just let they deal with it once they have given me the total price. I have got enough APD for that three leg trip and just because one leg is with another provider, I should not be be stopped from booking this using my points. Especially they make it sound like 1 APD is 1 NZD? My difficulty is that I am not 100% certain if I will travel but having this barrier just made it a lot slimmer.