Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ gold status match

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
One other thing about APD is that is really locks you in. I don't think you can use Airpoints to buy award flights from partners (only single-cabin upgrades) and so you're pretty much locked into flying Air NZ, whereas if you're earning United Miles you have access to the Star Alliance network.
You would actually be wrong. You can redeem on any Star Alliance carrier with availability using a chart (or for the Aussies...) - however, some of the redemption options are literally impossible, and it's a real pain if any part of the journey is forced onto NZ, as you cannot redeem a *A award on NZ metal. Obviously, subject to dismal availability.

One important note is that 1APD = 1NZD, however 1AUAPD = 1AUD. Australia is an exception, having its own Airpoints currency denominated in AUD (hence the second award chart, with lower numbers).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by SeaProf
Also make sure you meet the requisite Air New Zealand points on Air NZ flights as part of the overall total.
I can just fly on any star alliance airline to qualify though right? Air NZ website says this: (at least half on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, or Star Alliance qualifying flights)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by braiden9
I can just fly on any star alliance airline to qualify though right? Air NZ website says this: (at least half on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, or Star Alliance qualifying flights)
I just had a look at the website and it appears you are right. I was going off of what is needed for Elite, which requires a certain amount be on NZ flights only according to the app, while the American NZ website adds qualifying partner flights (but not Star Alliance flights).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
For this particular promotion, as part of the status match AirNZ has gifted the 450 of the required 900 status points for Gold, and they have specified that these count as the required spend on NZ (or "qualifying partner flights"). That means that the 450 status points required to retain Gold can be on any Star Alliance airline (or status earning partner flight, presumably), but then once you have 'normal' Gold it will be back to the usual requirement for requalification.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Oh wow - good to know. I thought it was any Star Alliance flight as well.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mad_atta
For this particular promotion, as part of the status match AirNZ has gifted the 450 of the required 900 status points for Gold, and they have specified that these count as the required spend on NZ (or "qualifying partner flights"). That means that the 450 status points required to retain Gold can be on any Star Alliance airline (or status earning partner flight, presumably), but then once you have 'normal' Gold it will be back to the usual requirement for requalification.
The requirement for half the status points to be earned by NZ or qualifying partner flights is only to qualify/requalify for Elite.
The requirement for Gold can be met with NZ flights, qualifying partner flights OR Star Alliance flights. You can technically get NZ Gold without even flying on a single NZ flight but not Elite.

See link below:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/status-points
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BZNZ
The requirement for half the status points to be earned by NZ or qualifying partner flights is only to qualify/requalify for Elite.
The requirement for Gold can be met with NZ flights, qualifying partner flights OR Star Alliance flights. You can technically get NZ Gold without even flying on a single NZ flight but not Elite.

See link below:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/status-points
Oops, my mistake. I thought the website was just badly written (wouldn't be the first time with NZ). So when it says that of your status points, "(at least half on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, or Star Alliance qualifying flights)", what does that leave out? Or is it referring to status points earned other than by flying, eg credit cards?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Oops, my mistake. I thought the website was just badly written (wouldn't be the first time with NZ). So when it says that of your status points, "(at least half on Air New Zealand operated flights, qualifying partner airline flights, or Star Alliance qualifying flights)", what does that leave out? Or is it referring to status points earned other than by flying, eg credit cards?
Yes, credit cards. They might just as well say it. It would just leave anyone outside New Zealand scratching their heads as to what that could possibly leave out?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
When I received confirmation of my status match a couple of days ago it linked to a web page that says "status match offer now closed"
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:51 pm

Still waiting to hear...

Originally Posted by RTWFF
When I received confirmation of my status match a couple of days ago it linked to a web page that says "status match offer now closed"
Interesting. I submitted mine about 9 days ago and haven't heard anything (other than the automated acknowledgement email and incident number). Fingers crossed
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:45 am

Interesting. I submitted mine about 9 days ago and haven't heard anything (other than the automated acknowledgement email and incident number). Fingers crossed
I suppose they have not yet reviewed all the applications...which piled up like a mountain
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Mine took over a week to come through, so I'm assuming there's a significant backlog
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:09 am

I finally heard back re my status match request (successful - hurrah!) this morning, exactly two weeks after submitting the request.

Does anyone know whether the short-haul recognition upgrades that come as part of this package are able to be gifted? It seems like a bit of a grey area, as typically Golds can't gift upgrades (I think?) but short-haul RUs are typically only awarded to Gold Elites, who can gift them... I'm guessing the answer is no but am holding out some hope.

Assuming they can't be gifted, does that also mean you can't apply them to someone else even if on the same booking? Eg I couldn't use two RUs to upgrade myself and my partner on the same PNR?

One other reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth trying to channel some flying to NZ to keep Gold for another year, which at least makes my trans-Tasman travel a little better, and the (normal) RUs would be the key additional benefit if we flew to the US or South America... but if we'd have to use a mix of OneUps and RUs and always be worrying about one of us getting upgraded and the other not, it would take the shine off the experience a bit.

If I'm honest, I'm just being enticed by the thought of a shiny gold card and a couple of freebie upgrades. I suspect that a far more sensible answer to all this is: enjoy my short-haul RUs and my short-lived NZ*G status, but don't make any effort to gain proper Gold status. Once that lapses, I can just put my OZ*G in the booking to get Gold benefits and make peace with the fact that many trans-Tasman fares won't earn me any miles. It's not like the Airbucks I'd earn would be worth much anyway. It would also mean I don't distract myself from building towards lifetime *G on OZ.

Feel free to chip in with your views on this!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I finally heard back re my status match request (successful - hurrah!) this morning, exactly two weeks after submitting the request.

Does anyone know whether the short-haul recognition upgrades that come as part of this package are able to be gifted? It seems like a bit of a grey area, as typically Golds can't gift upgrades (I think?) but short-haul RUs are typically only awarded to Gold Elites, who can gift them... I'm guessing the answer is no but am holding out some hope.
I would say not. It's likely they gave you short haul RUs solely for the purpose of ensuring you can't apply them to flights to Buenos Aires, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, or London - consider them cheaper versions of the ones you otherwise would have gotten.

One other reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth trying to channel some flying to NZ to keep Gold for another year, which at least makes my trans-Tasman travel a little better, and the (normal) RUs would be the key additional benefit if we flew to the US or South America... but if we'd have to use a mix of OneUps and RUs and always be worrying about one of us getting upgraded and the other not, it would take the shine off the experience a bit.
If you're hoping to apply RUs as NZ*G to transpacific flights, forget it - the premium cabins on those flights are pretty packed, and you've got very little chance of it clearing. It's a "nice to have" when it happens, but I wouldn't change your travel patterns just to get into that lottery.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I submitted my application a few days after this promotion closed (received an auto-email basically saying "sod off, too late") - and got an email yesterday advising me that I had been comped to Gold.

QF LTG and VA Platinum, which might have helped.

Main attraction for me is access to the proper SQ lounge when flying on SQ in SIN - as opposed to the pov lounge that VA Plats are bumped to.

If I can keep this with some flights on Singapore and Silk Air, plus the odd NZ AKL-CHC flight, I'm sorted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.