Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Flight changed by Air NZ but not bookable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I was booked on an Auckland to Melbourne flight, but Air NZ e-mailed me to say it was cancelled and I've been booked on the next flight of the day. But, when I go to the Air NZ website and try to make a booking, this next flight is not an option. What is going on? Have I been moved onto a 'secret' flight?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What does your booking say when you look at it? If they've said they have moved you, why are you trying to rebook yourself?

It's pretty common to find all flights blocked out on a route if a cancellation is made in advance. This allows them to try and accommodate all pax without new bookings occuring.

There are 2 other threads in recent days which will no doubt be similar cancellations due to the Dreamliner issues. They discus this in a lot more detail.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Cheers sbiddle. Very frustrating because I originally booked Air NZ as they have a wide variety of flights throughout the day which gives me lots of options. For them to cancel 4/6 flights of the day and rebook everyone on the remaining 2 is really frustrating for my plans. If I wanted unreliability and inflexibility I would've gone for Jetstar.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by curioustill
Cheers sbiddle. Very frustrating because I originally booked Air NZ as they have a wide variety of flights throughout the day which gives me lots of options. For them to cancel 4/6 flights of the day and rebook everyone on the remaining 2 is really frustrating for my plans. If I wanted unreliability and inflexibility I would've gone for Jetstar.
They wont have cancelled 4 of 6 flights. Until they have passengers rebooked for a flight that is cancelled, the others are not available for sale to other bookings.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:55 am

Have you talked to them on phone? Did they only give two options? Is it possible the they gave you two options as one was early and one was later than the original flight?

Also what is your status? As they will do the reaccommodate in status order.

It is a crap situation but the Trents have issues and there is little AirNZ can do when the engine manufacturer and the regulators say an engine can't fly. AirNZ has already sourced two 777 and a third is on the way. And Rolls Royce has said the issues are going to take to 2022 or so to solve.

I have heard they are giving 787 cabin crew secondments to the 777. Not sure if they are doing the same for pilots.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
It is a crap situation but the Trents have issues and there is little AirNZ can do when the engine manufacturer and the regulators say an engine can't fly. AirNZ has already sourced two 777 and a third is on the way. And Rolls Royce has said the issues are going to take to 2022 or so to solve.
Basically its starting coming down to fly Qantas on the Tasman until 2022. Its the lack of transparency from NZ that makes it worse e.g. they are barely updating the information resulting to 787 service disruption.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Yes I called them (spent 1 hour on hold) and only two options were given - one earlier and one later. The earlier flight is bookable on Air NZ website but the later one is not. I am a peasant - I use AirPoints but I have no status, never knew this would affect my rebooking. You would've thought that if I bought a flight to arrive in Melbourne at X o clock I wouldn't want a flight that arrives at Y or Z o clock!
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:46 pm

Yes I called them (spent 1 hour on hold) and only two options were given - one earlier and one later. The earlier flight is bookable on Air NZ website but the later one is not. I am a peasant - I use AirPoints but I have no status, never knew this would affect my rebooking. You would've thought that if I bought a flight to arrive in Melbourne at X o clock I wouldn't want a flight that arrives at Y or Z o clock!
AIr NZ also thought when they brought the 789s they wouldn't have the Trent issues and that they would have a fully operational fleet of 789s right now.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You would've thought that if I bought a flight to arrive in Melbourne at X o clock I wouldn't want a flight that arrives at Y or Z o clock!
Airlines generally don't have lots of spare aircraft to be swapped in. If the arrival time for the rebooking options bothers you then you should be able to get a refund, and you can then make a new booking on another airline.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:51 pm

You would've thought that if I bought a flight to arrive in Melbourne at X o clock I wouldn't want a flight that arrives at Y or Z o clock!
It's probably worth pointing out here that whenever you buy a ticket with any airline you buy a ticket for them to get you to your destination. The arrival / departure times do not represent any part of your contract of carriage with them.

Delays happen all the time with every airline for a multitude of reasons. If you're unhappy about the alternative options take the refund and book with somebody else.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. Wasn't able to get any refunds over the phone - instead they insisted they were doing me a favour by not charging me anything to rebook my flight?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:02 pm

Interesting. Wasn't able to get any refunds over the phone - instead they insisted they were doing me a favour by not charging me anything to rebook my flight?
Did you specifically ask? A refund is always an option if a flight changes and forms part of the T&C.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's probably worth pointing out here that whenever you buy a ticket with any airline you buy a ticket for them to get you to your destination. The arrival / departure times do not represent any part of your contract of carriage with them.

Delays happen all the time with every airline for a multitude of reasons. If you're unhappy about the alternative options take the refund and book with somebody else.
This is not strictly correct. At a minimum, airlines travelling domestically in NZ may be liable for damage caused by delay in the carriage of passengers under the Civil Aviation Act.

Civil Aviation Act 1990 No 98 (as at 28 September 2017), Public Act 91Z Liability of carrier in respect of delay ? New Zealand Legislation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.