Search

Airpoints or Mileage Plus Crediting

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity
Airpoints or Mileage Plus Crediting

Hi All

I'm a Mileage Plus Premier Platinum (Star Alliance Gold) with 20,000 PQM's out of 50,000 PQM's to retain Gold. I'm also AirPoints Gold but need another 450 Status Points to get Gold status for the following 12 months.

I'm flying SYD-AKL-LAX return in Premium Economy next month and then a few United domestic flights in Y. What alliance should I credit to which will be closer to maintaining Star Gold?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
That's not really a question that had an answer. What FPP offers you the most benefit?

Did you take advantage of the Air NZ status match running at present to get your 450SP and Gold? If so if you rarely ever fly with NZ then it's going to be difficult to keep status with them.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
That's not really a question that had an answer. What FPP offers you the most benefit?

Did you take advantage of the Air NZ status match running at present to get your 450SP and Gold? If so if you rarely ever fly with NZ then it's going to be difficult to keep status with them.
I guess my question was would a return SYD-AKL-LAX flight in premium economy get me over the line for the other 450 status points.

And for the 810 to requalify does 405 need to be on ANZ aircraft or can it be on any Star Alliance carrier?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Notyourbag
I guess my question was would a return SYD-AKL-LAX flight in premium economy get me over the line for the other 450 status points.

And for the 810 to requalify does 405 need to be on ANZ aircraft or can it be on any Star Alliance carrier?
Whether a R/T PE flight if enough to give 450SP depends entirely on the booking class so the answer is both yes and no. You will need enter the route and booking class into the Airpoints calculator to show earn or do a dummy booking to show you. You are however going to be forking out some serious $$ for the answer to be yes off a single PE R/T flight.

Assuming you've just got Gold from the current status match promo this week and don't know much about Airpoints there are many things that are quire different to other FPPs

Earn can be off *A or partner flights as per the NZ website https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/status-points
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
The only advantage NZ*G has over UA*G is it gets you in UA lounges before domestic flights.

Unless you frequently travel in NZ Business Class, UA will almost always be superior in terms of earn/burn ratio and other benefits such as complimentary Marriott status.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
The only advantage NZ*G has over UA*G is it gets you in UA lounges before domestic flights.

Unless you frequently travel in NZ Business Class, UA will almost always be superior in terms of earn/burn ratio and other benefits such as complimentary Marriott status.
I was able to access UA lounges for domestic flights however it was on an international ticket so maybe that's why I got in.

I think I'll have a play around with the airpoints calculator and see what airline to credit to.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Am I reading this right...UA Gold doesn't allow you to access UA domestic lounges when flying UA, but if you're NZ Gold, you can?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AviationNZ
Am I reading this right...UA Gold doesn't allow you to access UA domestic lounges when flying UA, but if you're NZ Gold, you can?
That is correct for purely domestic US flights. It might be possible if the domestic sector is a part of an international itinerary, but I am not 100% sure on that.

From the Star Alliance website: https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling on Star Alliance Flights in any class

As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class of travel on Star Alliance Flights, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport

If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 9, 2018 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
That is correct for purely domestic US flights. It might be possible if the domestic sector is a part of an international itinerary, but I am not 100% sure on that.

From the Star Alliance website: https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
If part of an International itinerary you have same day access.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Yes, if your UA domestic flight is an international connection, you will have "international" printed on boarding pass and UA*G will have access to lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.