Wiki Posts
Search

AirNZ Gold vs. Elite Partner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand
AirNZ Gold vs. Elite Partner

I was named Elite Partner (when I was Silver) and now I am Gold. I just looked at my digital card (on the App) and although my AirNZ status shows Gold, it still has the Silver *A badge which seems odd?

I will be traveling through Asia from next week (and flying Singapore Airlines in Asia so would be entitled to use the lounges), however it is very unlikely I will receive my new Gold pack beforehand so having the Gold *A on my App is necessary!

I just spoke to someone at AirNZ and was advised to have myself removed as an ELP as it is overriding my own status. Does this sound right? I've been in this position before and it's never been an issue. But now I've been told that being an ELP overrides my own status and if I don't have myself removed as ELP, my bookings going forward won't recognise my Gold status.

I would have thought having both would be useful? Anyone been in this situation and have removed themselves as ELP?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
When did you qualify for Gold? My assumption is it's recently and your Gold status hasn't actually started yet?

You can be Good and Elite Partner at the same time. There are benefits to both.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
When did you qualify for Gold? My assumption is it's recently and your Gold status hasn't actually started yet?

Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
When I tried to nominate my wife as Elite Partner, I was told that because she was already Gold, I would need to nominate someone else. I definitely remember in the past she had been both Gold and Elite Partner so it must be a recent change. It probably also means Elite Partner means nothing more than Gold on NZ services.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Yes, just over the weekend! I got the email today advising of my new tier status benefits "available to you immediately" (while my pack slowly takes it time to arrive).

Thanks, I won't have myself removed as ELP - even though the lady I spoke to was quite adamant being ELP doesn't help when I'm Gold on my own and I should have myself removed ASAP.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm maybe. Because I have been both previously and it certainly had its advantages. Now what to do...? Such first world problems.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:22 pm

What does elite partner have that gold doesn't? I always thought elite partner was just a fancy name for a free Koru membership?

Doesn't getting Elite Partner removed mean the elite can gift it to someone else?

As with the app, do a force close and few pull downs to refresh it. The data cache and refresh is a little buggy. Like can get notification for earning APD and SP, the numbers update but the transaction history doesn't for example. Sometime need to force close the app to get a seat number to update etc. I have found what the web site is more consistent between all the fields on the page.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
My mother is my E partner, she became Gold again a couple of months ago. Called NZ to have her removed as my E partner and replaced by my spouse, to be told this can only happen on one's AP anniversary.

Gold is definitely preferable to EP given the RU's and access to *A lounges.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:34 pm

It's unlikely you'll have *G status across the *A system for lounge access for next week if you only qualified so recently.

When you qualify for status it's updated in the NZ system but doesn't officially start until the following month.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
My mother is my E partner, she became Gold again a couple of months ago. Called NZ to have her removed as my E partner and replaced by my spouse, to be told this can only happen on one's AP anniversary.

Gold is definitely preferable to EP given the RU's and access to *A lounges.
You've only ever been able to change a ELP once per year just before it renews. If you could change it at any time of the year people would cop and change continually.

There are advantages to having both together - ELP does give you the same benefits on the plane as an Elite so you will get headphones and a greeting along with being treated as an Elite for purposes of standby or wait listing.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
You've only ever been able to change a ELP once per year just before it renews. If you could change it at any time of the year people would cop and change continually.

There are advantages to having both together - ELP does give you the same benefits on the plane as an Elite so you will get headphones and a greeting along with being treated as an Elite for purposes of standby or wait listing.
Fully understand the once a year change rule, makes sense.

Elite greeting? That disappeared with the dinosaur. This coming Friday may prove me wrong.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
Fully understand the once a year change rule, makes sense.

Elite greeting? That disappeared with the dinosaur. This coming Friday may prove me wrong.
Still happens TT and is supposed to happen long haul.. it's just that some FSMs are better than others at doing their job.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Still happens TT and is supposed to happen long haul.. it's just that some FSMs are better than others at doing their job.
Ive had it the last few.

Anyone know where the greeting on the IFE comes in, I never have the kia ora Hodi, my biggest first world problem...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses! Interesting feedback.

I guess I'll just leave both my status as is for now to be on the safe side. Surely my Gold status isn't "invisible" just because I also have ELP (which is what was alluded to me by a call centre member). I have had ELP status for years (as Silver and Gold) and it's been useful as sbiddle said above with regards to headphones (sometimes greetings!) and I've even had Skycouch rows blocked for me on busy SIN routes at check-in if my RUs or APD upgrades haven't come through as ELP.

I paid J to DPS next week, but PE on return hoping my (Silver) RU will come through (there are 12 J seats available, plus 4 blocked, currently on a dummy booking!). Fingers crossed!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:10 pm

IFE greeting it loaded onto the aircraft and synced with your Airpoints profile name which you can edit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.