Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Airpoints FF to Airpoints Booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
'If you leave your non-status Air NZ number in the booking, then NZ wont allow lounge access, even if you wave your KF Gold card. I believe this is not aligned to star alliance current policy, but others hold different opinions.[/QUOTE]

From ThaiKiwi's quote above, I believe that you can change your frequent flyer number to SQ at the door of the lounge, and then your gold status should let you in. I have obtained access to lounges on flights paid for by Airpoints by using a (non-AirNZ) gold star alliance card. Air NZ do not want people accruing to Airpoints and at the same time using non-Airpoints cards to access lounges.

I agree with ThaiKiwi's second sentence that Air NZ's approach contravenes Star Alliance policy. By introducing this uncertainty, it discourages me from flying Air NZ-you want consistency and no surprises when you are travelling and the contradiction between Air NZ's policy and what Star Alliance have stated leads to inconsistency and potential disappointment.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I will see when the FF seats open up (showing as unavailable at the moment, probably because the gold status has just come through last night). It would be a no-brainer if SQ had a mileage accrual on NZ domestic flights but they are very stingy.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ieuan1
' By introducing this uncertainty, it discourages me from flying Air NZ-you want consistency and no surprises when you are travelling and the contradiction between Air NZ's policy and what Star Alliance have stated leads to inconsistency and potential disappointment.
Would you mind quoting where in the *A T&C (or in fact any piece of *A documentation) that it permits mixing FQTV and FQTS? I don't see where the "inconsistency" is.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
@sbiddle. Is there any public information that support's NZ's position?

The *A lounge access policy makes no mention of FQTV and FQTS - that might be NZ's main implementation, but the public facing information on *A website make no mention of any requirement to be accruing miles into the same program as that where *G status is held.

From *A website https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy :

As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
◾You present your boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning.
◾If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
◾The lounge displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

I also note that there is nothing in NZ's public facing website on this topic as well that I can find:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/loun...s-terms-of-use

Terms of entry to Air NZ Lounges

Eligible Entrants and Occupants, upon request, must be able to present evidence to support their valid access and entry into a Lounge. Such evidence may include valid Star Alliance, Airpoints or Koru membership details and an applicable boarding pass.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
I only have a couple of things to add to Thai-Kiwi's post which seems to me to show that on Star Alliance website there is no prohibition on accruing to one program and gaining lounge access via a different one. In fact, I queried Air NZ as to whether this was allowed with programmes outside Airpoints and was told that it was. Subsequently I have done this (credited a NZ flight to a non-NZ Star Alliance airline, whilst using my gold card from a different airline to obtain access to the lounge) at Air NZ lounges in AKL and WLG. Thus it seems to me that it is permissible, even when flying on NZ, to split FQTV and FQTS. Air NZ, however, do not like this as under section 10 of the Terms and Conditions of Airpoints it states:

When you book your travel, you may only specify one Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme in your booking. Your loyalty or frequent flyer points will be credited to your chosen programme and you may only access the benefits of the chosen programme for that travel. For example, you cannot earn Airpoints Dollars or Status Points and use the benefits of another Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme. In addition, you cannot use the benefits of the Airpoints programme and earn loyalty or frequent flyer points with another programme.

This section is incompatible with what's on the Star Alliance website. The problem is not that NZ is unable to credit to one programme whilst the passenger is obtaining benefits from another: it just doesn't want to when Airpoints is involved.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by ieuan1; Sep 24, 2018 at 9:32 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks ieuan1 - that actually clarifies for me that NZ simply doesn't want Airpoints involved.

The additional text from Sect 10 that follows that provided by ieuan1, rams home the consequence of daring to consider NZ actually a fully participating member of the Star Alliance:

In the event that Airpoints Dollars and or Status Points have been accrued to your Account for travel that you also used to gain frequent flyer or loyalty benefits under another Airline's loyalty or frequent flyer programme, we will remove the relevant Airpoints Dollars and Status Points from your Account

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:53 pm Reason: editing...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Strangely the lounge access rules on NZ direct star alliance gold holders to the star alliance lounge access rules website. Which implies to me, that the benefit is a star alliance benefit, not a frequent flyer programme benefit.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion
Strangely the lounge access rules on NZ direct star alliance gold holders to the star alliance lounge access rules website. Which implies to me, that the benefit is a star alliance benefit, not a frequent flyer programme benefit.
I don't see any conflict and neither do the 99% of people who travel and have no issue with lounge access - because they're not trying to exploit FFPs because they don't try and mix and match FFPs to suit their own requirements.

​​​​​​To everybody who says the *A rules don't say your can't mix FFPs - they don't say you can either.

Like every month when this very same topic comes up there isn't really much else to add. I'm well aware of why these changes have been made and don't share the same views as others who believe what they're doing is kosher.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the key point is, at least for now, is that NZ is an outlier in terms of its practices compared to other *A members. Rightly or wrongly remains open.

I will say NZ has generous policies in allowing *G members access to preferred seating - this is an uncommon, and very welcome, aspect. So it isn't all bad as a non-NZ *G member.

Anyway time to leave this topic alone, until perhaps a real world face-face discussion over a refreshment one evening in the future :-)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
...Anyway time to leave this topic alone, until perhaps a real world face-face discussion over a refreshment one evening in the future :-)
About time something is organised!!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by WLG Base
Don’t tell sbiddle he can come, and don’t tell him he can’t come.
sbiddle, Thai-Kiwi and kyanar like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by WLG Base
It's been a number of years since the last meetup in Wellington which I unfortunately missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.