Wiki Posts
Search

Different routes appearing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Different routes appearing

For a Wellington to Philadelphia itinerary, the Air NZ search gives me options via San Fran with an 11h lay over or a few hours in Houston, one with no PE one with no BP available. When I do the search from Auckland I get the Chicago route appear.

Seems a bit odd give the fairly routine and very regular WLG-AKL connection, just wondered if any one has any ideas why the internet search does this, both from a route perspective and available classes (when looking at individual flights all are available this far out).

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
You could try the multi-city tool to try and build the route and force Chicago?

The booking engine seems to have ‘limitations’ when providing routing options. Or maybe just a feature of the programming logic and fare rules for joining sectors into a journey.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
And you can only get to Nashville through Houston . . . .
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, tried that to no avail, its awfully limited, I usually have these issues when transiting Europe but find this a bit odd given the UA presence! Perhaps I'll just head via Chicago from Auckland and get an early flight from welly and mooch or see if they'll wave the phone booking fee if they can sort.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The search tool will typically show you the cheapest and quickest ways to get to the destination. It will not give all routing options (and never has) that can be validated within the fare rules.

As to why it shows different options from AKL and WLG is probably related to the married domestic fares and the limitations they impose on what flights can be used for a domestic connection now.

If you want to build a complex itinerary you can use the multistop tool which will give some additional options, or build your own itinerary within the fare rules and get a travel agent or Air NZ call centre to ticket it.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
And you can only get to Nashville through Houston . . . .
Valid routing options for Nashville are

‐HOU/CHI‐NZ/UA‐BNA
‐LAX/SFO‐UA‐DEN/CHI/HOU‐UA‐BNA
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Use multistop tool but enter AKL as stopover (but select the same dates). It should then bring up more options for the international portions although may require a longer connection in AKL (which itself isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Use multistop tool but enter AKL as stopover (but select the same dates). It should then bring up more options for the international portions although may require a longer connection in AKL (which itself isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Thanks, yeah tried everything. Looks like the major issue was the UA availability for domestic connections, explained why some routes only had BP available as they only had 1st allocations apparently. Just had to go a day early and back a day later, got my RUs locked in though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.