Important: Online Check-in Unsuccessful

Reply

Old Aug 20, 18, 11:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Posts: 247
Question Important: Online Check-in Unsuccessful

Got this at check-in for my flight tomorrow:

Is it because:
A) I have traveled to New Zealand 7 times already this year (I must be up to something!)
B) They mistakenly granted my star alliance mileage upgrade to business and they want it back
C) Air New Zeland hates me
D) Something else?
dav3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:34 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,112
D)

Out of curiosity what are your reason(s) for using OLCI? I'm always curious why people use it when it doesn't offer any benefits to lots of pax.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 18, 11:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,541
Do you have an ticket out of New Zealand on the same ticket?
cavemanzk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 18, 1:01 am
  #4  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 810
Where from and where to?
nzkarit is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 18, 1:20 am
  #5  
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Posts: 247
1) I like the security of being checked in. OLCI has saved my bacon at the 2-hour window before. It is also a habit from my United travel where check-in time is the tie-breaker for certain upgrades.

2) Yes. I am flying USA to New Zealand, (seperate) side-trip to OZ and back, then back to the USA.

3) SFO-AKL (AKL-PER, PER-AKL) AKL-SFO
dav3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 18, 11:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,541
Originally Posted by dav3d View Post
.

2) Yes. I am flying USA to New Zealand, (seperate) side-trip to OZ and back, then back to the USA.

3) SFO-AKL (AKL-PER, PER-AKL) AKL-SFO
99.9% likely to be your issue - take it your not traveling in an Australian or New Zealand passport?

NZ is very OCD when it comes to passport checks, and validation of your trip to New Zealand fitting within the rules....

Recently at SIN I had to go up to the gate for passport verification, traveling to New Zealand on an New Zealand Passport.
cavemanzk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 18, 11:49 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,112
You always need to get your passport physically validated when using OLCI, which is one of the reasons using it serves no purpose for most pax.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 18, 1:34 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 15,281
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
You always need to get your passport physically validated when using OLCI, which is one of the reasons using it serves no purpose for most pax.
Exactly my experience. OLCI not available to AKL (my route was YYZ-SFO-AKL) - even with passport validated for both outbound flights. On the return AKL-LAX-YYZ, as soon as passport check done in AKL, the OLCI worked and mobile BP added to Wallet.
24left is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:30 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
You always need to get your passport physically validated when using OLCI, which is one of the reasons using it serves no purpose for most pax.
i tend to disagree. Itís great to check in, miss queues and have less paper. The bit I find annoying is in CHC international lounge who canít /wonít validate passports (other lounges do), so then need to go to gate agent.
Markhm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:42 am
  #10  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 810
Originally Posted by Markhm View Post


i tend to disagree. Itís great to check in, miss queues and have less paper. The bit I find annoying is in CHC international lounge who canít /wonít validate passports (other lounges do), so then need to go to gate agent.
I think Wellington (before the refurb at least (have always used the kiosk since then)) the keyboard in the international lounge didn't have OCR reader for the machine readable block on the passport, so had to go to the gate to do the passport stuff.
nzkarit is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,019
OLCI is useful when you are connecting in an outstation. Last year I had a 5 hour airside connection between AC and NZ at EZE. The transit desk only opens like 1 hour before departure. Had I not had a mobile boarding pass in my app, I would not have been able to visit the lounge.
Xiaotung is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:59 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,112
I'm still not aware of the WLG lounge being able to validate passports.

Saw a woman taking them away last month after calling half the lounge to come to the front desk with passports.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:14 pm
  #13  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 810
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I'm still not aware of the WLG lounge being able to validate passports.

Saw a woman taking them away last month after calling half the lounge to come to the front desk with passports.
Don't know why they don't do passport verification with the phone app. Would have a similar level of trust as the kiosk.

I assume the kiosk reads the machine readable portion and then use that to access the chip. And validates that.

Given the data on the chip is signed and there is public key cryptography involved could build a server side system that could trust the passport data coming from the mobile app as much as the kiosk. If do the full key chain validation you would know that the data is signed by the passport issuers and hasn't been tampered with. You can then send the passport a nonce to sign to prove the passport is actually in communication with the phone and not just a replay attack. This would the same trust you can get out of a kiosk. as there is no human looking at it.
nzkarit is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,112
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Don't know why they don't do passport verification with the phone app. Would have a similar level of trust as the kiosk.

I assume the kiosk reads the machine readable portion and then use that to access the chip. And validates that.

Given the data on the chip is signed and there is public key cryptography involved could build a server side system that could trust the passport data coming from the mobile app as much as the kiosk. If do the full key chain validation you would know that the data is signed by the passport issuers and hasn't been tampered with. You can then send the passport a nonce to sign to prove the passport is actually in communication with the phone and not just a replay attack. This would the same trust you can get out of a kiosk. as there is no human looking at it.
It's not just about validating the passport is legit - it's validating that against the APP system for travel to NZ and for travel from NZ to Australia or vice versa. This validates you are entitled to enter either country,
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:37 pm
  #15  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 810
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
It's not just about validating the passport is legit - it's validating that against the APP system for travel to NZ and for travel from NZ to Australia or vice versa. This validates you are entitled to enter either country,
Which the the app (well server side components) could do as well.
nzkarit is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread