How comfortable is ANZ premium economy?

Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Somewhat related query. Just looked at some dummy bookings AKL-SIN in PE.

I hold TG*G and can always access the frequent flyer seats. However, on the 789 (both versions) the seat maps don't show any frequent flyer seating. No problems with the 772/77W on other dummy booking to HKG for example. I fiddled around with dates to find examples where no seats were allocated in the 789 PE cabin. [edited to add] Also, no problems accessing the Y frequent flyer seating on the 789.

So, has Air NZ removed frequent flyer seating in the PE cabin of the 789 for all *G/Koru HVC? If so, and despite the smaller cabin in one of the versions, this seems slightly odd.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
How is is avoidable? Only the last row on the 77W is 2 in the middle. So all the rest of the PE will still have some one climbing over you or asking you to stand up. So there is still social interaction required and potentially getting woken up. At least with things like Sky Couch there is no extraneous social interaction required to sit there.
Well that's one thing that's a positive. With the bulkhead there is plenty of space for whomever is next to you to get up without climbing over or bothering you.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Somewhat related query. Just looked at some dummy bookings AKL-SIN in PE.

I hold TG*G and can always access the frequent flyer seats. However, on the 789 (both versions) the seat maps don't show any frequent flyer seating. No problems with the 772/77W on other dummy booking to HKG for example. I fiddled around with dates to find examples where no seats were allocated in the 789 PE cabin. [edited to add] Also, no problems accessing the Y frequent flyer seating on the 789.

So, has Air NZ removed frequent flyer seating in the PE cabin of the 789 for all *G/Koru HVC? If so, and despite the smaller cabin in one of the versions, this seems slightly odd.
Its been a while but I dont recall any yellow FF seating in PE on the 789. Just pink for preferred (extra charge), black for airline/airport control? And remaining white seats. Such a small cabin compared to 777s, (V2 bit bigger I guess) would seem a bit pointless having FF seating options.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think you are right! I do recall the NZAgent web seat maps showing the various ff allocations for each type, however nothing allocated for ff seating on the 789 (either version):

https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/assets/...-july-2015.pdf
https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/assets/...-july-2015.pdf
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by nzkarit
How is is avoidable? Only the last row on the 77W is 2 in the middle. So all the rest of the PE will still have some one climbing over you or asking you to stand up. So there is still social interaction required and potentially getting woken up. At least with things like Sky Couch there is no extraneous social interaction required to sit there.
I said getting stuck in the middle yourself was generally avoidable, unless you have last choice of seats. I didn't say that having someone else stuck there and needing to get past you was avoidable, and I agree that's an irritation. Having said that, I can get out (usually from a window seat) past someone in the aisle without touching or disturbing them, unless their tray table is down (in which case, chances are they are at least awake).

But I do take your point - which is why I said the 2+2+2 config was a key part of the SpaceSeat's appeal. I just thought it was deeply compromised in so many other ways that, personally, matter more to me - but YMMV.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
https://samchui.com/2023/10/27/which...economy-seats/

PY really is NZ's shining star.
About half my NZ travel is booked in PY with the hope of an upgrade, however I am never disappointed when the upgrade fails, as their PY product really is superb for this 6'4" frame.
Seat recline allows for rest without impinging on the personal space of person behind (they sometimes need a friendly reminder the screen is touch and not push, my seatback is not a pull-up bar).
So much legroom.
Premium meal and drink service.
Dedicated cabin that is curtained off.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by taupo

About half my NZ travel is booked in PY with the hope of an upgrade, however I am never disappointed when the upgrade fails, as their PY product really is superb for this 6'4" frame.
Seat recline allows for rest without impinging on the personal space of person behind (they sometimes need a friendly reminder the screen is touch and not push, my seatback is not a pull-up bar).
So much legroom.
While I agree that PE is likely the best current offering on ANZ in the context of optimized value, personally I do not like the seat for trans Pacific long hauls. The recline is not enough and there is always risk of being relegated to middle seats, especially on the 777 with its 2-4-2 configuration. I sat in the first row of PE on the 777 twice now recently and was underwhelmed on a 14 hour journey. If budget permits, business class on the likes of JAL/UAL/Qantas/Air Fiji A350 /true Delta One Suites (which sadly is not what they offer to AKL) is far more comfortable. I guess it boils down to, , like everything else in life, your perspective. If you are a regular ANZ flier because of convenience and/or status,, PE totally makes sense when choosing amongst ANZ cabins. But for me, if sleep is a priority and you can afford the fare, business class on the right carrier is legions better.

Last edited by WandertheWorld; Oct 31, 2023 at 6:15 am
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite

So much legroom.
Isn't the drink selection basically just the regular economy booze now?

I know they were serving a Rose as the bubbles as when we drank the 777 dry of champers to Sydney last month as that was all that was left - and it was disgusting.
taupo likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")

So much legroom.
Totally agree with all of this except "Premium... drink service". I know it's a relatively trivial complaint, but the Y wines really let the side down relative to the very high standard of everything else (if they served the calibre of wines that were in Y a decade or so ago, it would be less of an issue...). But that's a minor blemish on a highly competitive product. The pricing, on the other hand, is generally not so competitive...
taupo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.