Carry-on Hand luggage bne

Old Aug 3, 18, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Carry-on Hand luggage bne

Does Air nz still provide the green sticker tags to put onto your handluggage to show it has been approved ?
i am taking 14kg (10kg and 4kg) in 2 wheelie cases and do not want the airport person pre-security to query the amount (many years ago i was forced to check in when i was 1kg over the 7kg)
i am elite now
Old Aug 3, 18, 7:52 pm

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
I'd have thought that having your elite luggage tags on your bags should be sufficient to avoid issues.
Old Aug 3, 18, 10:52 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Does Air nz still provide the green sticker tags to put onto your handluggage to show it has been approved ?
i am taking 14kg (10kg and 4kg) in 2 wheelie cases and do not want the airport person pre-security to query the amount (many years ago i was forced to check in when i was 1kg over the 7kg)
i am elite now
I think the problem is that the law in NZ limits carry on luggage to 7kg. Therefore, whether elite or not, if you get stopped and your bag weighed and found to be over 7kg, then they can ask you to check the bag. Fortunately, they don't often stop you, assuming one is sensible and not struggling to lift the case. However, you can be unlucky.
I assume, but am happy to be corrected if wrong, that if flying to/from NZ this law applies.
Old Aug 4, 18, 1:05 am

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/elite-benefits

Carry-on bags: Elite members may take two pieces of carry-on baggage, with a combined total weight of 14kg with a maximum weight of either bag of up to 10kg.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/gold-benefits

Carry-on bags: Gold members may take two pieces of carry-on baggage, with a combined total weight of 14kg with a maximum weight of either bag of up to 10kg.
​​​​​​​
I don't think that Air NZ would be offering a benefit which broke NZ law.
Old Aug 4, 18, 2:12 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ieuan1 View Post
I think the problem is that the law in NZ limits carry on luggage to 7kg. Therefore, whether elite or not, if you get stopped and your bag weighed and found to be over 7kg, then they can ask you to check the bag. Fortunately, they don't often stop you, assuming one is sensible and not struggling to lift the case. However, you can be unlucky.
I assume, but am happy to be corrected if wrong, that if flying to/from NZ this law applies.
No NZ law on this AFAIK.

I assume that CAA has Regulations/Rules that require airlines to comply with the aircraft manufacturers’ certification requirements for the cabin overhead lockers.

And of course, under the CAA Act passengers are required to comply with crew instructions - but I doubt this could be applicable to a random airside bag check.

I understand that Auckland Airport employs thise checkers - I was tempted to argue with one when stopped once and get information on who employs them and what is their legal basis for checking, and (importantly) what powers they could possibly have. However I preferred to spend my time in the lounge.......
Old Aug 4, 18, 5:22 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
No NZ law on this AFAIK.

I assume that CAA has Regulations/Rules that require airlines to comply with the aircraft manufacturers’ certification requirements for the cabin overhead lockers.

And of course, under the CAA Act passengers are required to comply with crew instructions - but I doubt this could be applicable to a random airside bag check.
I know most of the overhead bins have labels within they saying an max weight most seem to be 23-32kgs - thinking if they have share with say 9x Y passengers they are more than certainty going beyond the signed limit.

I understand that Auckland Airport employs thise checkers - I was tempted to argue with one when stopped once and get information on who employs them and what is their legal basis for checking, and (importantly) what powers they could possibly have. However I preferred to spend my time in the lounge.......
One would asumme that are employed/contracted by AIAL - who is mostly charging airlines an fee for every checked bag that processed via AIAL equipment.
Old Aug 4, 18, 12:58 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
I stand corrected on the weight limit!
Old Aug 4, 18, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Having the green anz sticker (if they still have them) would stop the airport authority from challenging the size , volume and weight
i am happy with anz as website says 14kg in 2 bags is ok