Wiki Posts
Search

No flights to Bali - Trent woes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
No flights to Bali - Trent woes?

I am looking at booking flights to Bali next year from Christchurch (not sure dates yet, potentially March/April) and surprised to see no flights from Auckland to Bali. Didn't NZ run this route in the past? It must be popular. Is it because of the trent woes? Will the flights come back? Right now it's pretty much a no go, unless you feel like transiting in Singapore...

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Aug 2, 2018 at 5:03 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:57 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I am looking at booking flights to Bali next year from Christchurch (not sure dates yet, potentially March/April) and surprised to see no flights from Auckland to Bali. Didn't NZ run this route in the past? It must be popular. Is it because of the trent woes? Will the flights come back? Right now it's pretty much a no go, unless you feel like transiting in Singapore...

Bali is Seasonal - June to October refer AirNZ Bali.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I hate tent woes!
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WLG Base
That surprises me, but good to know! Thank you
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:58 pm

EK made a big deal saying they offer the only year round Bali to AKL service when that route was launched.

And EK is probably a bigger plane on the route, than AirNZ does. Will be interesting to see what load factor is like.

Last edited by nzkarit; Aug 2, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
EK flies daily from AKL direct. Superior to NZ in every way.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by WLG Base
I think they code share with Garuda's A330 on the route out of season though and stop via Sydney or something?

Originally Posted by Eltham

Bit subjective but everyone has their own preferences.

Do EK offer any twin seats (extra seat) in economy like Air NZ? Only saw twin seat being sold like NZ sells preferred seating. EK don't have PE either. Their wifi is pretty slow in comparison to NZ's although NZ yet to roll out across the whole fleet. And if you don't credit to EK which I think is a tough programme then, NZ APD are just easier to accrue for kiwi's. Could spend APD on a grabaseat fare like AKL-WLG $39. There is QF but I suspect more kiwi's participate in Airpoints. Crew wise I'll take NZ over EK. EK 777 a bit noisier and more drying than NZs 787. Not sure I'd be a fan of the 2-3-2 business layout on EK. Dislike the idea of a potential middle seat but it might pip NZ in that class. First class they'd win as NZ don't have one.

Would probably prefer a 2-4-2 A330 layout with Garuda in economy also vs 777. Haven't looked into their J product though.

Just my own preferences.
AviationNZ and ps107 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
Had a colleague on the EK flight to Bali earlier this week. He got a good deal so was sitting in First - the FA told him that there were only 33 other passengers on board - the entire flight! Not sure how long that route will continue with loads like that?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fleet7
Had a colleague on the EK flight to Bali earlier this week. He got a good deal so was sitting in First - the FA told him that there were only 33 other passengers on board - the entire flight! Not sure how long that route will continue with loads like that?
with so few people onboard did they let your friend shift from economy to first ?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum

EK is superior to every airline in every way.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:21 am

Getting off topic but I guess my recent experiences with EK hasn't reflected that of its diehard fans, not that NZ has been perfect either.

Incidentally, I haven't transited DPS for about 25 years. It was horrible then, is it any good now?

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 3, 2018 at 11:31 am Reason: Renoved OT
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by mellon
EK is superior to every airline in every way.
No, SQ is but they don’t fly direct to DPS from AKL so not a sensible choice.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Bit subjective but everyone has their own preferences.
Of course it’s subjective. What else could it be?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:18 am

Nearly...
Hard product EK > NZ
Food EK > NZ
Beverage EK > NZ
FA NZ < EK (less important to me, but very important to others)

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
NZ APD are just easier to accrue for kiwi's. Could spend APD on a grabaseat fare like AKL-WLG $39. There is QF but I suspect more kiwi's participate in Airpoints. Crew wise I'll take NZ over EK..
Depeding on destination, you may be surprised. Had to book Europe....
NZ Business (IMO not so 'Premier') = $12k+ (about 90% of EK First fare) via LAX (no thanks!) or with partner LH/SQ with severely penalised SP earn. ...We all know paltry APD earn these days.
QF J on EK tin was $7k+ (and SP earn was >50% of my required Platinum requal)
+ options with other airlines.
...needless to say, it was a no brainer!
agree EK FA < NZ crew

No, SQ is but they don’t fly direct to DPS from AKL so not a sensible choice.
EK wines are far superior to any airline I've flown...even SQ. They mass curate and serve excellent cellared wines you can't normally buy (except from maybe collectors).
In the quantities they serve, it is only logistically possible to buy in large quantities now, to be served on 5 - 10+ years time.
But big let down IMO is the amount of annoying bling and gold trim on EK tin, SQ is far superior here!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I'd much prefer Air NZ. With Elite, I could take advantage of APD upgrades. But oh well! Good to know about AKL-Bali flights with Emirates. Surprised that it didn't show up on Kayak leaving from Christchurch. No codeshare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.