APD and Status earn on regionals

Old Jul 18, 18, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
APD and Status earn on regionals

I know that NZ cut their regional earn rates in half for reasons only known to them - perhaps to clear out some of the Koru Lounges?
However, I have some travel regionally and the whole earn rates seem to be illogical. For travel in October:
DUD-CHC $65 fare earns AP$1 and 8SP
$118 AP$1 8SP
$141 AP$4 12SP
DUD-PMR $131 AP$1 4SP
$174 AP$1 4SP
$195 AP$1 4SP
$222 AP$1 8SP
$304 AP$2 10SP
CHC-TRG $125 AP$1 4SP non-stop flight
$146 AP$2 16SP via AKL
$173 AP$2 8SP non-stop
$173 AP$4 17SP via AKL

I have to pay three times a Grab-a-Seat rate to get the same earning. For $63 more I don't earn as much as an ATR trip to DUD. If I transit AKL I earn disproportionately more than on the non-stop.
The whole earn rate is a mess. I will still qualify for elite but this earn rate will distort my choice of flight and routing.
Old Jul 18, 18, 7:35 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Ever thought about just forgetting status and earn rates? Just fly. If need be, just buy koru?

If you're going to start putting yourself out by flying weird routings then it really is time to take a good hard look at what is worth it and what's not. I just think, at times there's plenty of other stuff that goes wrong with travel, trying to think your way through and around SP APD etc is just an added headache you probably don't need.

I'd probably prefer the jet from CHC-AKL then the short hop to TRG than the ATR direct but also depends on schedule etc.

I realise it doesn't fix NZ's earn formula but I really don't believe any postings here are going to change it either.
Old Jul 18, 18, 8:03 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, and former *G
Welcome to the world of the regional flyer these days .. as NZbutterfly suggests I now focus on where I want to go and getting there as efficiently as I can, rather than maximising earn (which would drive me mad).
Old Jul 18, 18, 8:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Airpoints is one of the most complex FPPs in the world and I don't even think Air NZ know how earn works.

APD and SP earn is a complex formula based on route, aircraft type and fare paid. I suspect even Einstein would struggle to understand it.
Old Jul 19, 18, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly View Post
Ever thought about just forgetting status and earn rates? Just fly. If need be, just buy koru?

If you're going to start putting yourself out by flying weird routings then it really is time to take a good hard look at what is worth it and what's not. I just think, at times there's plenty of other stuff that goes wrong with travel, trying to think your way through and around SP APD etc is just an added headache you probably don't need.

I'd probably prefer the jet from CHC-AKL then the short hop to TRG than the ATR direct but also depends on schedule etc.

I realise it doesn't fix NZ's earn formula but I really don't believe any postings here are going to change it either.
This is FlyerTalk - the home of airline loyalty earn and burn - not TripAdvisor - the home of sensible tips for saving money on travel.
Old Jul 19, 18, 6:13 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
I know that NZ cut their regional earn rates in half for reasons only known to them - perhaps to clear out some of the Koru Lounges?
However, I have some travel regionally and the whole earn rates seem to be illogical. For travel in October:
DUD-CHC $65 fare earns AP$1 and 8SP
$118 AP$1 8SP
$141 AP$4 12SP
DUD-PMR $131 AP$1 4SP
$174 AP$1 4SP
$195 AP$1 4SP
$222 AP$1 8SP
$304 AP$2 10SP
CHC-TRG $125 AP$1 4SP non-stop flight
$146 AP$2 16SP via AKL
$173 AP$2 8SP non-stop
$173 AP$4 17SP via AKL

I have to pay three times a Grab-a-Seat rate to get the same earning. For $63 more I don't earn as much as an ATR trip to DUD. If I transit AKL I earn disproportionately more than on the non-stop.
The whole earn rate is a mess. I will still qualify for elite but this earn rate will distort my choice of flight and routing.
Absolutely agree, as sbiddle says it is a very complex system, and in my opinion, very broken and unfair. As a "provincial" Elite I find it very unfair that I pay significantly more for fares than those on "main-trunk" services, and earn less SP's for that higher fare. It is also interesting to do a search for provincial centres to SYD in J via AKL, versus doing the same search from WLG, same international flights. You invariably pay significantly more and get the same or less SP's than the WLG flyer.
I doubt you'll hear too many complaints from the main-trunk flyers about the issue because any changes would most likely disadvantage them, and I doubt NZ cares because of their virtual monopoly.
Ellice likes this.
Old Jul 19, 18, 6:27 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
This is FlyerTalk - the home of airline loyalty earn and burn - not TripAdvisor - the home of sensible tips for saving money on travel.
Well , you could just tally up earnings at 10 months and hopefully know future 2 month travel patterns, then do a status run?

Or do a massive status run some time during the year then cruise for the rest of it?

Alternatively if you enjoy the thought processes & planning around maximizing earn throughout your year then Air NZ just made the game a lot more interesting for you.
Old Sep 6, 18, 2:30 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, and former *G
It’s all crazy...!

I earned 10 SP today for a regional ATR flight, and will get 13 SP tomorrow for the return. Much more generous than recent trips, and these were not expensive fares.

Compare this with my next booking (ZQN to MEL) in a couple of weeks, the works, where I will only receive 12 SP each way for short haul international, which in dollar terms cost several multiples of todays domestic trip.

who can figure it ....
Old Sep 6, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
SP/APD earn excludes taxes. Remember the first $180 - $200 of your flight to Aussie is tax so for a $350 - $400 return flight the 8 SP you get each way is similar to domestic earn on a $75 - $100 O/W flight.
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:27 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly View Post
Exactly what I have ended up doing. It just got ridiculous in the end. Hard being a provincial FF nowadays! Plus being that I also fly a lot with the likes of Sounds Air and Air Chats.

Interestingly I brought cheap ($19) GAS WLG-ZQN-WLG, with both sectors earning 10SP...... Odd being that all other GAS seem to be 4SP
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:06 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi View Post
Exactly what I have ended up doing. It just got ridiculous in the end. Hard being a provincial FF nowadays! Plus being that I also fly a lot with the likes of Sounds Air and Air Chats.
Its just hard to be an loyal NZ FF these days at all, if only it was Qantas Link (not JQ) flighting the Q300s around the country. I've got to the point of really just taking the cheapest flight, there is little point being loyal to NZ anymore.
Old Sep 8, 18, 9:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Rewards Spire Elite, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS
In the last 2 weeks I have noticed my actual earn per flights for A$ and SP have been higher than the potential earn indicated. This for jet flights. Probably by about 5% I reckon. But in saying that I have noticed a reduction in both A$ and SP for a long time booked and paid for Business and PE return freight AKL SGN 22/9 - 6/10.

Old Sep 8, 18, 10:14 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I flew DUD-PMR (via WLG) on seat + bag recently and earned 1APD and 4SP....couple of days before that I flew DUD-AKL on a dirt cheap sale fare (seat only) and got 1.4APD and 8SP. DUD-PMR isn't cheap and 4SP is a bit of an insult.
Old Sep 8, 18, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Its just hard to be an loyal NZ FF these days at all, if only it was Qantas Link (not JQ) flighting the Q300s around the country. I've got to the point of really just taking the cheapest flight, there is little point being loyal to NZ anymore.
Are JQ even that bad, or any worse than NZ? I feel like they are get an unfair go these days as IME they have improved a lot in terms of reliability
Old Sep 8, 18, 10:49 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by brenrox View Post
Are JQ even that bad, or any worse than NZ? I feel like they are get an unfair go these days as IME they have improved a lot in terms of reliability
Yes but when they do have IRROPS it is much worse as they don't have the frequency to recover quickly. And NZ over lunch & early afternoon don't push tight turnarounds on every flight so can catch up on some morning delays, while JQ has tight turnarounds all day. AirNZ with enough empty seats on other flights can cancel a flight to get the plane & crew back on schedule (had that a month or so back actually got on a flight 30min earlier, saw notification was already enroute to airport so rang up gave them the flight number they wanted and was home 30min early)

Did hear the idea for JQ to run Q300 between WLG/AKL so could up frequency. Slightly slower plane though faster boarding & disembarking makes up the time difference. Would mean they could handle IRROP better & get more Govt travelers who have to pick cheapest flight in hour window (think it's an hour), know some who pick travel times to ensure JQ not in window

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: