Skytrax - Best Premium Economy

Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
Skytrax - Best Premium Economy

Air New Zealand has just picked up the best Premium Economy award from the 2018 Skytrax World Airline Awards.

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/w...my-class-2018/

Also was ranked 17th in the 2018 Worlds Top 100 Airlines up from 19th last year.

Well done to the Air NZ team - punching above our weight yet again!
AviationNZ likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
How does the airline that gives you there welcome drink in PE in an plastic cup, win?
wayoutwest, drajknox and Bub001 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I really don't understand why people care that it comes in a plastic cup?

Glad to see that Air NZ gets the recognition it deserves for PE.

Almost booked VA in PE earlier this year... glad I didn't.
AviationNZ and smc333 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Because the plastic cup cheapens the entire experience, especially for bubbly.

Not to mention due to biosecurity issues on international flights I'm pretty sure all the plastic cups are still simply dumped in landfills so it's not as though they're even recycled (not that China wants NZs plastic waste now anyway). For an airline that has a focus on sustainability and can even cull prawns from their menu as a result, handing out more plastic when a glass that can be washed could be used seems a little strange.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle

Not to mention due to biosecurity issues on international flights I'm pretty sure all the plastic cups are still simply dumped in landfills so it's not as though they're even recycled (not that China wants NZs plastic waste now anyway). For an airline that has a focus on sustainability and can even cull prawns from their menu as a result, handing out more plastic when a glass that can be washed could be used seems a little strange.
Suppose plastic can go in the bin during collection. Opposed to stacking trays in carts, between door close and cabin secure for take off.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Suppose plastic can go in the bin during collection. Opposed to stacking trays in carts, between door close and cabin secure for take off.
PE welcome drink is typically done straight after take-off - which really cheapens the whole product, when only minutes later you then get an drink in real glass.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:16 pm

The plastic cup is only to save on glassware - nothing else. Obviously using glass would mean anther 21-54 glasses depending on the aircraft as during subsequent drink and meal services many people don't change glasses.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:37 pm

And maybe save weight?

I miss the white linen! I remember them when PE was first introduced. That was classy.

No prizes for Business Class huh? I guess the aisle facing herringbone layout with LED laser beam light in your eye from opposite seat, did no favours for NZ ... : p
Thai-Kiwi and Bub001 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny

No prizes for Business Class huh? I guess the aisle facing herringbone layout with LED laser beam light in your eye from opposite seat, did no favours for NZ ... : p
Skytrax awards are scoffed at by many in the industry (as are many of the awards from other sites such as airlineratings) due to the methodology involved. I really don't think you can really directly compare the product or service between many airlines, especially when there are different cultures involved. Many people for example see the laid back hospitality on NZ as a big plus, yet you'd have other people see this as poor.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Skytrax awards are scoffed at by many in the industry (as are many of the awards from other sites such as airlineratings) due to the methodology involved. I really don't think you can really directly compare the product or service between many airlines, especially when there are different cultures involved. Many people for example see the laid back hospitality on NZ as a big plus, yet you'd have other people see this as poor.
I agree - but I also note that the Airlines will have no hesitation in mentioning such 'success stories' in advertising and in onboard announcements to hapless passengers ;-)
poopbunny and Bub001 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I agree - but I also note that the Airlines will have no hesitation in mentioning such 'success stories' in advertising and in onboard announcements to hapless passengers ;-)
Like all awards the people that win them rave about them while the ones that don't win just go on about how meaningless they are.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
The plastic cup is only to save on glassware - nothing else. Obviously using glass would mean anther 21-54 glasses depending on the aircraft as during subsequent drink and meal services many people don't change glasses.
Probably correct. A third class of service was installed and reconfigured on what was originally a two class aircraft with a finite amount of space. Overlook this one small detail realizing that it is not Business Class and their PE is pretty decent.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

Cheapens the "entire" experience?

I think that's taking it a bit far. Granted there are apparent differences in taste in the air, and in certain glasses but we're talking one drink on a plane here.

Agree with the recycling issue though and that may well be a driver for change in the future.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Cheapens the "entire" experience?

I think that's taking it a bit far. Granted there are apparent differences in taste in the air, and in certain glasses but we're talking one drink on a plane here.

Agree with the recycling issue though and that may well be a driver for change in the future.
I'm not meaning it cheapens the experience of the wine (which it kinds does though - super cold Duclet in a glass is actually not too bad, but in a plastic cup it's pretty average), I'm meaning it cheapens the Premium Economy experience as a whole.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Probably correct. A third class of service was installed and reconfigured on what was originally a two class aircraft with a finite amount of space. Overlook this one small detail realizing that it is not Business Class and their PE is pretty decent.
All of NZ's 77E, 77W, 789's were delivered with PE from the start PE was introduced around 2004 on 744s major refit. The 77W and 77E's have since had an complete cabin refit with new seats.

PE has its own full size galley on the 77E is between 2L/R, on the 77W its between 3L/R and on the 789s its between 2L/R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.