Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Impossible Burger

LAX to AKL on J

anyone keen?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Can't wait to give it a go but unfortunately I'm not back in the US till October.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...the-impossible

As a consumer - taste will be the deciding factor. But given they're in reportedly 2500 restaurants, they've probably got that covered.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Will let you know. Friday 13th July
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I have eaten the Impossible Burger a few times at restaurants. It's... okay. I definitely notice that something is a bit 'odd' about it, but I've fed it to colleagues without them noticing. Not something I would order outside of the novelty factor - and I doubt I would want to order it on a plane.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
I'm vegetarian and would LOVE to have options like this onboard. The vege food can be pretty disappointing, even in J. We're flying J from AKL>LAX>LHR in late September and then returning via Singapore so it looks like I'll miss out. So close.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:06 pm

Why do the vege people have to eat something that looks, tastes and bleeds like meat but will not eat it or condemn those who do? Eat meat or do not, pretending is hypocrisy and NZ are just as bad for not promoting Kiwi produce over GM rubbish.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:29 pm

Because causing animal suffering to satisfy a taste preference is bad? I'm not going to argue it on a flying forum but if you're genuinely interested you could read Animal Liberation by Peter Singer, where the facts about factory farms and the ethical arguments for and against vegetarianism are set out in detail.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Why do the vege people have to eat something that looks, tastes and bleeds like meat but will not eat it or condemn those who do? Eat meat or do not, pretending is hypocrisy and NZ are just as bad for not promoting Kiwi produce over GM rubbish.
My understanding is it is extracted from plant sources and there is no genetic modification involved. It is an identification, isolating, extraction and refinement process.

As for why not a Kiwi product? I am not aware of any Kiwi manufacturers of such products. Most NZ R&D in the protein sector is about improving livestock yield be that meat or diary. NZ just isn't doing the research to create such a product.

Its a growing market segment to serve. AirNZ are trying to capture the market and get some press to get more bums on seats from the non NZ markets. Being the first airline to carry this product is creating news articles. AirNZ promotes NZ as a destination so can fly people to NZ, as to promoting NZ produce there isn't such a strong business or shareholder drive. E.g. they only carry Japanese Beer (Lion) not any NZ beers.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:38 pm

I go to Melbourne a fair bit and when there recently was going to buy a burger from ‘Lord of The Fries’ but didn’t when I found out that none of their burgers had real meat - synthetic beef, synthetic chicken. Did a bit of research and found out that there is an Israeli originated machine where burger patties can be 3D printed. For now I prefer the real meat! As cost pressures are applied to increase profits who knows what will be used to make synthetic meat!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's totally a GMO product https://grist.org/article/the-impossible-burger-wouldnt-be-possible-without-genetic-engineering/

While I have no issues eating GMO products I'm surprised none of the media who got free trips to try it bothered to mention this considering the outcry in NZ regarding GMO.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's totally a GMO product https://grist.org/article/the-imposs...c-engineering/

While I have no issues eating GMO products I'm surprised none of the media who got free trips to try it bothered to mention this considering the outcry in NZ regarding GMO.
I would say no, as nothing that you are eating is genetically modified.

Last edited by nzkarit; Jul 3, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
It's fairly hard to visit the US and not eat GMO foods. GMO foods like soy are well embedded in their food supply chains. So people flying to the US and refusing to eat the burger so as to avoid GMOs best not go in first place.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Beckett66
Because causing animal suffering to satisfy a taste preference is bad? I'm not going to argue it on a flying forum but if you're genuinely interested you could read Animal Liberation by Peter Singer, where the facts about factory farms and the ethical arguments for and against vegetarianism are set out in detail.
No problem that wrong for animals to suffer, but why do you need something that mimics meat? Maybe however better than the breakfast wrap NZ served on NZ 46 in J. Could have done with Veges would have made it palatable .
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:18 pm

I like the taste of meat. I just choose not to eat it.
jawnbc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.