789 swapped to 772

Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles
789 swapped to 772

Hi All

Well it has happened. Our upcoming flight from ADL to AKL on NZ192 has been swapped from 789 to 772. As a result I can't access seat selection and the website just says seat selection will be made at check-in.

As I have already paid for seat selection in 34J and 34K on the 789, am I likely to be automatically seated in a similar seat on the 772 or should I get to the Airport early to secure a good seat?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Seat maps are usually locked for an couple of days after an aircraft change while they re-seat everybody that has already selected an seat. That message your getting is pretty normal, it will probably go away in the next few days.

They try to re-allocate seats for like, and if they will refund the seat select fee.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
772 is a much better plane and experience. You'd be asked to confirm the flight change and seats usually?

I still don't understand the appeal with the 789s

Last edited by dadig; Jun 29, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by dadig
...I still don't understand the appeal with the 789s
Me neither. A bit quieter - maybe.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
772 is a much better plane and experience. You'd be asked to confirm the flight change and seats usually?

I deliberately choose 777 flights TT in J rather than 787 where at all possible, because I don't like the narrower J seats in the 787 (even though I am small), or their configuration. Thus the regular aircraft changes are annoying.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:27 pm

Only if the time/flight number changes - if not they don't have to tell you.

PE on the 789v1 is pretty much the only reason to like the 789, its 2-3-2 PE with only 22 seats and two cabin crew providers for an much nicer experience than the 77W.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles

We never head anything from Air NZ, but our booking now shows us allocated 36AB with 36C as occupied. Wishful thinking I know, but as the HJK side of the aircraft is showing plenty of availability could this mean that C is just blocked because we were moved from the pair on the 789?

Strangely all the ABC seats from 35 to 46 are showing as unavailable but HJK is quite open.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by soak01
We never head anything from Air NZ, but our booking now shows us allocated 36AB with 36C as occupied. Wishful thinking I know, but as the HJK side of the aircraft is showing plenty of availability could this mean that C is just blocked because we were moved from the pair on the 789?

Strangely all the ABC seats from 35 to 46 are showing as unavailable but HJK is quite open.
Rows 36-44 on a 777-200 are normally sold as a combination of *G and Skycouch seating, hence theyre often blocked for this purpose.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
The inventory from AKL to HNL for late July to September has all been moved to special 777 that they leased from Boeing.

Has anyone done it in J? Am considering this for my pregnant wife - need a good lie flat business class
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
The inventory from AKL to HNL for late July to September has all been moved to special 777 that they leased from Boeing.

Has anyone done it in J? Am considering this for my pregnant wife - need a good lie flat business class
Its previous operator was SingaporeAirlines (SQ), the cabin still features SQ Long-Haul product. So Bussiness is in an 1-2-1 config, probably better than the current NZ J seat.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk

Its previous operator was SingaporeAirlines (SQ), the cabin still features SQ Long-Haul product. So Bussiness is in an 1-2-1 config, probably better than the current NZ J seat.
It has the 2006 J product so is at least a step up from the regional J seats used WLG-MEL-SIN. Whether it's better than NZ is really a matter of personal opinion.

I think it's an inferior product for sleeping, but if you're on a day flight there is more space and it's more comfortable for sitting for long durations.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Very impressive follow-up. 1-2-1 SQ sounds great, but 2006 J product doesn't sound good.

This would be overnight flight for pregnant wife, so it sounds good to avoid since the major issue is for her to be able to get some sleep / stretch out.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
+1
Better than current AirNZ J product.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
+1
Better than current AirNZ J product.
I agree, particularly 787 J. Great for sitting, and pretty good for sleeping.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:21 am

I think we might have a similar situation. We are on NZ91 from AKL to HND on March 24, 2019.

I did have C seats reserved on the 787. Now I am unable to (re)select them or open the seatmap on airnewzealand.co.nz. It still says that it's going to be a 787, but at least on Expertflyer and on CheckMyTrip the seatmap shows the 777-200 configuration.

Also the flight times have been slightly adjusted (only a couple of minutes).

Would you think that this means a change from 787 to a 772?

Thanks!

Last edited by boeder; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:25 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.