Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheaper to fly from Sydney!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chocfish
So, upon attempting to book SYD-LAX return using the Australian Air NZ site, it seems I either have to click back to the NZ site in order to login to my Airpoints or, alternatively, choose to continue on the Australian site without the ability to log into Airpoints. Is there a booking method I'm missing? Or do I need to book over the phone?
Try not logging in then manually put your airpoints number into the booking
You just cannot use your NZ Airpoints account for a flight unless the flight starts from NZ
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Beano
Try not logging in then manually put your airpoints number into the booking
You just cannot use your NZ Airpoints account for a flight unless the flight starts from NZ
@Beano. I think I posted the same information.

@chocfish. No idea on how the return would post. You may lose the LAX-AKL airpoints, as well as the AKl-SYD.

You have to decide what is the most important aspect of making such arrangements !
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
By hopping off at AKL you're breaking a journey. As Airpoints earn is all journey based you should assume you will get no SP or APD. If you do it'll be a bonus.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
I used to regularly use this hack when i lived in NZ too.
Another thing that people havent seemed to picked up on is that if you fancy a couple of separate trips to Australia you can usually do this by effectively only 'paying' for one return trip to Aus. Can even do a multistop booking say ex SYD and return to MEL to go to 2 different cities if that makes sense.

Dependant on fares etc, but just an example:

5 August SYD-AKL
31 August AKL-LAX
10 September LAX-AKL
28 September AKL-MEL

Then just book an AKL-SYD on say 3 August for a long weekend in Sydney
Then a MEL-AKL on 30 September for a long weekend in Melbourne
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints silver, Koru member
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Another thing that people havent seemed to picked up on is that if you fancy a couple of separate trips to Australia you can usually do this by effectively only 'paying' for one return trip to Aus.
Ah! I never thought of that! Plus, it would negate the additional hours of reposition flying at either end of the AKL-LAX-AKL flights. How long can stopovers generally be?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

Ah! I never thought of that! Plus, it would negate the additional hours of reposition flying at either end of the AKL-LAX-AKL flights. How long can stopovers generally be?
As long as it falls within the validity of the fare, as long as you like. In some cases very many months.

You’d need to check the fare conditions carefully.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 23, 2018 at 5:34 pm Reason: correcting apple auto-mangle....
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I know people who have purchased RTW fares and used them in conjunction with some O/W fares for multiple holidays across the validity of the fare which is normally one year. Depending on the fare you can get free changes as well.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Even though you pay less you still get similar airpoints, similar SP and get your two per dollar myers points! ....when you use the Australian website
chocfish likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beano
Even though you pay less you still get similar airpoints, similar SP and get your two per dollar myers points! ....when you use the Australian website
That's a WIN WIN!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:44 am

That's a WIN WIN!
so spend A $4k get $80 of vouchers at Myers
just sure you enter your myers card when you purchase
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Another thing that people havent seemed to picked up on is that if you fancy a couple of separate trips to Australia you can usually do this by effectively only 'paying' for one return trip to Aus. Can even do a multistop booking say ex SYD and return to MEL to go to 2 different cities if that makes sense.
Pepsi1336, I want to thank you for this advice. I've done exactly as you've said and booked two long weekends either side of the main trip to the States. And so has a friend who couldn't believe the difference in fares too.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I think the positioning flight is best booked separately. Then book the flights needed ex-Australia. You will need to consider how much of a buffer you are willing to have between arriving and departing Syd, and you may have to collect bags and re-check them. You'll carry the risk in the event your positioning flight is delayed (travel insurance would be useful).

You already have forum member's thoughts on short checking the bag on the return. You could make it a multi-trip just to build in a stopover in AKL on the return - that would make the short checked bag easier, but may increase the fare.

Tell us how you get on...
I do this all the time for Aus/US/UK flights from HK - leaving Ex-TPE and flying through HK and on... Regarding the positioning flight, my technique to avoid missing the flight in TPE is to fly in on the same aircraft you will fly back on. Given how few AirNZ flights there are into Syd, this surely cannot be hard to work out. However it does only work if you fly with hand luggage only - not enough time to pick up and recheck bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.