Wiki Posts
Search

Cheaper to fly from Sydney!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints silver, Koru member
Cheaper to fly from Sydney!

In searching for a good PE deal to LAX, I've found that it's more than $1000 cheaper to book SYD-LAX return (via AKL), than it is to book AKL-LAX return. The AKL-LAX-AKL sectors are exactly the same flights. Presumably though, one can't book the SYD-LAX ticket and then just board in AKL because the ticket would be forfeited if not originated in SYD? Such a shame!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Not at all unusual. From the US I find it's much cheaper to go to Melbourne via Auckland than just to go to Auckland.
Eltham likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is nothing unusual about this and it's been happening for years.. It's so common that the mainstream media even picked up on it last year!

You can also regularly pick up QF flights from NZ to the US via Australia cheaper than Australian customers pay for the the same flights to the US.

While you can't fly from AKL as you've discovered you can short check your bags on the return sector or book a stopover of more than 24 hours which will result in bags being short checked to AKL meaning you don't need to fly the last sector to Australia.
chocfish likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
There is nothing unusual about this and it's been happening for years.. It's so common that the mainstream media even picked up on it last year!

You can also regularly pick up QF flights from NZ to the US via Australia cheaper than Australian customers pay for the the same flights to the US.

While you can't fly from AKL as you've discovered you can short check your bags on the return sector or book a stopover of more than 24 hours which will result in bags being short checked to AKL meaning you don't need to fly the last sector to Australia.
Excellent news! Is it accepted practice to request luggage to be short checked?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chocfish
Probably frowned on by airlines, but those who are prepared to 'throw away' the final segment are happy to do so.

I suspect that if the practise became wide-spread then airlines would try and make changes to eliminate this - although not sure how.

I looked at exactly this (to MSY) - waaaay cheaper MEL-AKL-IAH (or LAX/SFO) in PE than same flights (and fare class) ex-AKL and I would quite prepared to fly Y to MEL/SYD/BNE to 'position'.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:38 am

When I was in the UK circa 2002 there were people who used to get caught out by T&C in either the cross channel ferries or Eurostar (I don't actually remember what one is was) who would sell cheap day return tickets for cheaper than one way tickets - with the catch being they reserved the right to charge you full fare if you didn't use the return journey on the same day. People who had paid by credit card for these tickets suddenly found a surcharge on their credit card bill!

Technically you haven't paid entry fees into NZ if you simply short check your bag, so technically you in a the wrong if you do enter NZ.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
In searching for a good PE deal to LAX, I've found that it's more than $1000 cheaper to book SYD-LAX return (via AKL), than it is to book AKL-LAX return. The AKL-LAX-AKL sectors are exactly the same flights. Presumably though, one can't book the SYD-LAX ticket and then just board in AKL because the ticket would be forfeited if not originated in SYD? Such a shame!
You could turn it into a mileage run and fly to Sydney first.

I did it with Emirates once and they would not give me mileage for the return journey so it sometimes has consequences.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Sadly common. In the BA forum they call it "Ex-EU" meaning "departing the EU" (often AMS) for cheaper fares even though they end up flying back through Heathrow in their case. Inside the US, on a business class seat I have saved over $1000 by getting myself to LAX (from Phoenix, 6hr drive, 70 minute flight) on a separate ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

So, upon attempting to book SYD-LAX return using the Australian Air NZ site, it seems I either have to click back to the NZ site in order to login to my Airpoints or, alternatively, choose to continue on the Australian site without the ability to log into Airpoints. Is there a booking method I'm missing? Or do I need to book over the phone?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, upon attempting to book SYD-LAX return using the Australian Air NZ site, it seems I either have to click back to the NZ site in order to login to my Airpoints or, alternatively, choose to continue on the Australian site without the ability to log into Airpoints. Is there a booking method I'm missing? Or do I need to book over the phone?
I assume you are a NZ-based Airpoints member. The system probably expects you to be an Australian member since you originate in SYD.

I suppose you can book without your Airports number, and then add it in afterwards using the manage my booking.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I assume you are a NZ-based Airpoints member.
Yes I am. I'm trying to capitalise on the significantly cheaper Air NZ flights to LAX from Sydney compared to AKL. Even attempting to book a multi-stop trip to include getting myself from AKL-SYD isn't working.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I am. I'm trying to capitalise on the significantly cheaper Air NZ flights to LAX from Sydney compared to AKL. Even attempting to book a multi-stop trip to include getting myself from AKL-SYD isn't working.
I think the positioning flight is best booked separately. Then book the flights needed ex-Australia. You will need to consider how much of a buffer you are willing to have between arriving and departing Syd, and you may have to collect bags and re-check them. You'll carry the risk in the event your positioning flight is delayed (travel insurance would be useful).

You already have forum member's thoughts on short checking the bag on the return. You could make it a multi-trip just to build in a stopover in AKL on the return - that would make the short checked bag easier, but may increase the fare.

Tell us how you get on...
chocfish likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:47 pm

I wouldn't expect the multi stop booking engine to allow this for a number of reasons that would be complex to explain, but mostly because it's illogical to offer such a routing as a journey.

You will need to book any such flight as a standalone and be fully aware of the risks of doing this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add, building in a stopover in AKL on the return doesn't affect the price at all:

SYD-LAX 9 Sep // LAX-SYD 16 Sep AUD 2499 (PE 'A' class)
SYD-LAX 9 Sep // LAX-AKL 14 Sep // AKL-SYD 16 Sep AUD 2497 (PE 'A' class)
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Just to add, building in a stopover in AKL on the return doesn't affect the price at all.
Interesting re the stopover - it certainly would make short-checking the bag easier. Would you still expect the Airpoints for the return flight to be awarded seeing as the flight isn’t technically completed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.