Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand hikes international fares by up to 5%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

Some long-haul fares will be pushed up by more than $100 and the airline is blaming the increases on higher operating costs. The increases come into force from Thursday.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business-...lery_id=194279
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It was to be expected. Can't expect fares to stay low when the cost of fuel is going up.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:53 pm

So that’s why they suddenly runningendless ads on tv, to justify the price increase.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I just flew NZ 6 AKL-LAX and then onward elsewhere.

Departure was mayhem and I have my opinion on who to blame and it's not NZ, but given this thread is about an additional cost on some fares, I'm going to guess or suggest that some or all of the cost might be to pay for a new procedure NZ had to introduce to meet the demands of some new U.S. policy.

I had no idea about this stuff until I arrived for the flight.

According to staff, when the new rules came into place 3 weeks ago regarding flights to the U.S., NZ had to spend money to meet these requirements, some of which included moving departing flights to pier B (e.g. gates 16-18) which for some people was easily a 20 minutes walk from the lounge.

Further, NZ has to pay to hire all these new security screeners, all contract workers, and even though I don't live in NZ, I was not amused.

I don't know if this is where the higher costs are coming from. Perhaps someone else here does know or can speculate.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Secondary screening has occurred to the US for many years now. This started off with randomly selected pax from a paper list and then moved onto those were those who got the the dreaded SSSS on their boarding pass.

The new changes for the US came in in April when AIAL finished all their extension to support this. All passengers are subject to secondary screening by private security contractors to meet the US requirements. There have been a few mentions on here about it.

Boarding at AKL can a nightmare at the best of times, and the reason there has probably been very few mentions of the "mayhem" is because it isn't really that different from the norm.

As for "paying for the security" you pay for security regardless and much of it is just hidden in taxes - just be thankful that taxes flying to the US are still around 25% cheaper than flying to Australia.

Last edited by sbiddle; Jun 20, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Further, NZ has to pay to hire all these new security screeners, all contract workers, and even though I don't live in NZ, I was not amused.
Friendly reminder that these "security screeners" do not operate under NZ Civil Aviation law.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Friendly reminder that these "security screeners" do not operate under NZ Civil Aviation law.
I had no illusions. And if I could, I would have brought some popcorn because it was security theatre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.