Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Denied lounge access unless accruing to your *G program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied lounge access unless accruing to your *G program

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I do see NZ's point of view on this, and I agree that in the case of some airlines like A3 it's possible to earn *G with extraordinarily little expenditure.

However NZ is at the other extreme with Airpoints, which is surely the worst value program across the entire alliance, which means most savvy flyers (unless NZ based and happy with the home carrier benefits they get with NZ status) won't want to credit to Airpoints. On the other hand, for short-haul flights, most fare classes accrue nothing on the majority of *A FFPs. The FQTS/FQTV fields were at least one way around that dilemma, so you didn't have to choose between NZ's dismal program, or earning zero points/status on your *A FFP of choice.

I guess from NZ's point of view they think they're being clever by closing the door on this - and maybe they are. But for someone like me, who does 4 or 5 trans-Tasman+domestic roundtrips a year plus occasional NZ longhauls, and zero interest in switching to Airpoints, this rule plus the demise of the VA relationship makes NZ incrementally less appealing to me as a carrier, and considerably more likely to book VA or QF. I guess it's time I looked into how the new QF/NZ relationship will work in practice...
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Yes agree the airpoints regime is good for awhile but does force you to look for better value for your loyalty eventually. Especially with the lack of partner awards available to airpoints members, which are where the real value is.

As for the Aegean arrangement. I guess they were able to negotiate that deal as they have the monopoly on that route that *A want as part of their network. Air NZ know all too well about monopoly routes and how to maximise that situation to their advantage.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
A3 increased their qualification threshold a couple of years ago so we can drop the free ride argument. A3*G is still one of the easiest but it requires you to take 4 A3/OA fights which is fair enough.

I recently quoted the SK lounge policy which requires your *G number to be recorded in the booking, similar to what NZ is asking. I visited their CPH and OSL lounges recently and can understand why they are doing this is because their lounge entry is fully automated. You scan your boarding pass to open the gate. I suspect if you approached the staff nearby with a physical card, they would still let you in.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Nothing I'd be willing to post publically. Apparently it was pretty rare for NZ pax to want to mix FQTV/FQTS until A3 started giving away *G, so a really common scenario was (and I have no idea if it still is as I haven't been following what's happening with their program) pax wanting to use their A3 status solely for lounge access.
As you would be unwilling to post any data or written rules publically I have to say your previous statement and prophesy:

I know plenty of you will completely disagree with my views but the reality is you're exploiting loopholes that were never intended to be used the way they are. I know exactly where this is going with *A and have posted that for the last 18 months so since these changes started occurring at NZ. At the end of the day the changes *A are making with the their digital projects will very likely see this loophole be closed for all *A carriers.
is hollow and inconclusive. I can understand that you as esteemed NZ Elite, would speak for NZ's cost-cutting behaviors such as fobidding splitting FQTS/FQTV, which may dilute the benefits during your NZ flights. However, I don't and I suppose most of the users in this forums won't conceive splitting FQTS/FQTV as exploitation or hack or even violation as you implied (even it is, we don't care). It's just unwritten practice and the system of most carriers in *A allows it, that's all. We play it until it's universally over.

BTW, Hoping next time when NZ decides to do additional cost-savings other than this, e.g. reduce benefits of NZ Elite, they would do it after due consideration and care about your feelings. History proves it that as long as customers justify corporations' cost-cutting actions, the latter one would just be encouraged to do more.
Ellice likes this.

Last edited by LuoboTiX; Jul 29, 2018 at 4:33 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
I think I can guess the answer to this but thought I may as well check.
Velocity Plat. Flew Syd-AKL on Virgin but because of flight timings had to choose QF to return AKL-Syd.
Looking at the Velocity website they don't specifically say what airline/partnership I need to be flying, "A same-day travel boarding pass and Velocity or Virgin Australia lounge membership card" - I will have both these, just the boarding pass will be QF..

As lifetime silver QF I think I get an annual lounge pass but no idea where it is as I don't usually plan to travel with them. Would they be able to track this and potentially use it without the physical voucher?

Virgin rules in detail:Virgin Australia lounge members receive complimentary entry into Air New Zealand's Lounge, when travelling on flights between Australia and New Zealand or within New Zealand. Virgin Australia lounge members are not eligible for lounge access prior to any other international services. A same-day travel boarding pass and Velocity or Virgin Australia lounge membership card is required to access lounges operated by Air New Zealand.A same-day travel boarding pass and Velocity membership card is required to access lounges operated by our airline partners or third-party lounge operators.Eligibility for lounge access varies according to class of travel, Velocity membership status and travel destination. In addition, where lounges are operated by partner airlines, or third-party operators lounge access may be subject to capacity limitations imposed by the operator.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
While I express no opinion regarding the NZ's purported policies on this, it is clear to me that when OP decided to credit to NZ, OP was pretty much at the mercy of NZ. I would have to say NZ is within its rights to deny lounge access, correct or not.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Hi, quick question about this (sorry if already mentioned, it's a long thread). If you do the "enter lounge with NZ*E on itinerary, leave, then switch FFP earn at the gate" thing, does it apply to the whole itinerary? or just to flights that haven't happened yet? I'm in a situation where I earn enough over elite to justify earning to UA for some of the domestic benefits like free Y+ seats (which can get super expensive if you pay up front, given how lame the product is) so I was considering trying this out on some upcoming flights.

thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by morepointsplease
Velocity Plat. Flew Syd-AKL on Virgin but because of flight timings had to choose QF to return AKL-Syd.
Looking at the Velocity website they don't specifically say what airline/partnership I need to be flying, "A same-day travel boarding pass and Velocity or Virgin Australia lounge membership card" - I will have both these, just the boarding pass will be QF..

As lifetime silver QF I think I get an annual lounge pass but no idea where it is as I don't usually plan to travel with them. Would they be able to track this and potentially use it without the physical voucher?

Virgin rules in detail:Virgin Australia lounge members receive complimentary entry into Air New Zealand's Lounge, when travelling on flights between Australia and New Zealand or within New Zealand. Virgin Australia lounge members are not eligible for lounge access prior to any other international services. A same-day travel boarding pass and Velocity or Virgin Australia lounge membership card is required to access lounges operated by Air New Zealand.A same-day travel boarding pass and Velocity membership card is required to access lounges operated by our airline partners or third-party lounge operators.Eligibility for lounge access varies according to class of travel, Velocity membership status and travel destination. In addition, where lounges are operated by partner airlines, or third-party operators lounge access may be subject to capacity limitations imposed by the operator.
No, you can't fly on QF and enter NZ lounge under the NZ/VA alliance. The rules don't specify that probably because it's a given.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Hi, quick question about this (sorry if already mentioned, it's a long thread). If you do the "enter lounge with NZ*E on itinerary, leave, then switch FFP earn at the gate" thing, does it apply to the whole itinerary? or just to flights that haven't happened yet? I'm in a situation where I earn enough over elite to justify earning to UA for some of the domestic benefits like free Y+ seats (which can get super expensive if you pay up front, given how lame the product is) so I was considering trying this out on some upcoming flights.

thanks!
Once they finish boarding, close off a flight and the manifest gets printed, it's done. Changing your number at the gate probably will just change the number for that particular flight not the entire itinerary. It will certainly have no effect on any previous flights.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Once they finish boarding, close off a flight and the manifest gets printed, it's done. Changing your number at the gate probably will just change the number for that particular flight not the entire itinerary. It will certainly have no effect on any previous flights.
Are you sure? When I had such a change made, I believe all the remaining sectors were also changed. That may have been the way the lounge staff made the change, and the gate process maybe different (I have not made such a change at the gate).

Edited to add. I think this was on a same-day domestic return on one ticket, and so the lounge change of ffp program was likely applied to the return sector as well.

That experience reminded me to stick with purchasing domestic fares as one-way - since there is no cost difference to buying 1 return or 2 one-ways.
Ellice likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 31, 2018 at 12:55 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Are you sure? When I had such a change made, I believe all the remaining sectors were also changed. That may have been the way the lounge staff made the change, and the gate process maybe different (I have not made such a change at the gate).
I think it may be airline dependent. I have had both with different airlines.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by morepointsplease

With the lifetime silver qf annual lounge pass doesn’t the letter state the pass has been loaded on to your frequent flyer account and you don’t need the letter?

Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I have had odd things happen with this. An example from a few years ago was NRT-LAX-SFO on SQ/VX, where I was crediting the SQ NRT-LAX sector to UA, but wanted to credit the LAX-SFO sector to SQ. I changed only the LAX-SFO sector, at a VX checkin kiosk several hours after the NRT-LAX sector landed. The entire trip credited to SQ.

I have seen similar things happen with NZ.

YMMV.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
In context am currently in Europe and over the last 5 weeks have done a number of *A carrier flights. Accruing on other *A programmes has not been an issue and have been able to access lounges no problem thus based on my experince it is an AIRNZ problem. Really AIRNZ does nothing for thier FF after they re-qualify so maybe they should just let it be. Really the cost to them in administrating it and the dis-satisfaction it causes is just n't sort it.
Fliar likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Hi all,

I am intending to fly on a United ticket: AKL to Halifax, Canada - the first sector will be on AirNZ (AKL to LAX/SFO/IAH are all possibilities). Economy V class.

If I use my AirNZ FF number am I likely to be able to enter lounge at AKL and at US port on way back.

I am Airpoints Elite Partner (only silver in my own right).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.