Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance considering new status tiers tiers above gold.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance considering new status tiers tiers above gold.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
Originally Posted by LondonElite
But think about it a different way. If you're HON or PPS, how much non-premium flying do you do on other *A airlines to really warrant this additional tier? Probably not a huge amount.
I think the value would be more for the SENs (and other new possible equivalents from other air lines). If SEN becomes *P and results in better lounge access or even just calmer SEN lounges due to exclusion of *G, this would be massively appreciated. Many SENs fly Domestic/European in Y and this would be a real benefit.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dschaimz
I think the value would be more for the SENs (and other new possible equivalents from other air lines). If SEN becomes *P and results in better lounge access or even just calmer SEN lounges due to exclusion of *G, this would be massively appreciated. Many SENs fly Domestic/European in Y and this would be a real benefit.
I would think the most likely is just an exclusion of *G from SEN, and instead move *G's to business and *P's with SENs. I'm pretty sure LH isn't keen on opening up their first class lounges to a whole load of new people in the newly created top tier. Imagine all those *P, or whatever the top tier will be, from those giveaway programs joining HONs in their exclusive lounge.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
I would think the most likely is just an exclusion of *G from SEN, and instead move *G's to business and *P's with SENs. I'm pretty sure LH isn't keen on opening up their first class lounges to a whole load of new people in the newly created top tier. Imagine all those *P, or whatever the top tier will be, from those giveaway programs joining HONs in their exclusive lounge.
But that is my point. These programmes (HON, PPS, possibly GS, etc) are not giveaway. They require a lot of premium travel and/or direct revenue. I'm not sure you'll be doing much ramming, but I do agree with you generally that LH will not want to expand access to FCT/L.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
As a SEN this could potentially be yet another death knell in the already gutted M&M program. LH SEN is already just about the most difficult *G status to get.
I don’t think SEN is that difficult to earn, certainty not more or less difficult than AC SE, UA 1K. In fact with up to 325% miles it is actually pretty easy as long as you book the right fare classes.

As for another level in *A it could help to improve status recognition across the member airlines. Right now *G does not get you much on some airlines. OW is way more consistent here and differentiates much better. Depending on what kind of *G one has this could or could not be an improvement.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I mean, with all the talk about LH lounges, I think it is just unlikely LH would be interested. My understanding is that in *A, the FFP pays for lounge access. Since SEN lounge is above business lounge, I would expect LH charges more for SEN lounges. Therefore, despite very minor extra expenses, LH comes out ahead by 'allowing' *G into SEN lounges instead of mere business. Also, whenever a *G member flies business class, LH is still able to offer them the status based lounge instead of the class based lounge, so even if they charged the same for both, (which I would not expect to be the case) whenever a business class flyer uses a SEN lounge, LH presumably still gets to charge the FFP. Therefore, this seems like a change that LH would not be interested in, as I would expect this policy to be a big money maker for Lufthansa. Also, look at the industry, every year, airlines are reducing or completely getting rid of first class. I mean, I believe only 8 out of 27 *A members offer a first class after the end of this month. And if they were to reduce current *G benefits any further than they already have, I imagine many would be tempted to see if the grass is greener elsewhere or just no longer be loyal.

And ultimately, doing something like this requires the will of the member airlines, and I can't imagine many airlines seeing any profit in a new higher tier. If any changes were forthcoming, I would expect them to improve silver a bit before adding a higher tier. Whether it is priority boarding or priority luggage or something that doesn't cost much to the carriers that would be competitive with OW and ST, because that is the level of flyer that I imagine is least interested in *A. People who are receiving a status above basic *G are presumably flying largely with one carrier and are primarily interested in the benefits they receive on their primary carrier, which typically greatly exceed basic *G requirements.

So ultimately, despite this idea floating around from time to time, I would be quite surprised if it were to happen in the near future. Just my two pennies' worth...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djsflynn

Everything he’s quoted as saying in the article is tangible. It’s under discussion, and sufficiently so that more than one above-Gold tier is being considered (and this ‘might be more than one tier’ comment by Goh was something he volunteered, I simply asked about a level above Gold).

Star is obviously aware of the potential ‘disconnect’ between the top tier of member airline schemes and Gold, and aware obviously that Oneworld has a better-than-Gold tier which could be seen as a competitive advance.

Agree. I value my QF.Plat more than my NZ*Elite because QF:P = OW:Emerald (with access to comforts & F&B of premium lounges of OW member airlines). The best *A I have with NZ*E is *AGold (no access to premium lounges). Unreciprocated measly NZ SP earn on *A member's tin does not help either, feels like spending more to get less. I am inclined to put more spend on OW members.
libertyuk and mckma8 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
It appears to me that because the alliance expansion is over in terms of adding new members, they are doing all these things to fill their time at the *A HQ.

Another one. They are also investigating dynamic award pricing across the alliance. If this happened, it could mean the end of frequent flyer programmes. We all know what happened to Airpoints when it moved to dynamic pricing. Redemption tied to any fares for sale and near zero reward seat availability to partner airlines. All very negative. I have never thought of any reason to switch alliance, but this could be it.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/star-allian...tm_source=hero
One ups where airlines squeeze a bit more $ out of people also contributed to this but other airlines are playing in this space also. I think that helped reduce availability. Staff on another airline have had their staff travel affected by a similar process.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: delta, united,
united lounges

The fact that United doesnt allow its own elites in polaris lounges means nothing. In EVERY domestic United lounge their own elites flying economy aren't allowed while any other *G is allowed. Fact is you can fly less than half the miles you need for 1k on a variety of other *G and get into United lounges in USA while a 1k with triple or quadruple the miles flown wont get in.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by markesq6
The fact that United doesnt allow its own elites in polaris lounges means nothing. In EVERY domestic United lounge their own elites flying economy aren't allowed while any other *G is allowed. Fact is you can fly less than half the miles you need for 1k on a variety of other *G and get into United lounges in USA while a 1k with triple or quadruple the miles flown wont get in.
That's why I attribute all my flying to NZ and not to United, like I did before. The advantage for me, based in the US, is that I get access to United lounges, such as they are.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by markesq6
The other way of looking at this is that UA gives its elites free domestic upgrades which other *A programmes don't. What would you rather have?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Agree. I value my QF.Plat more than my NZ*Elite because QF:P = OW:Emerald (with access to comforts & F&B of premium lounges of OW member airlines). The best *A I have with NZ*E is *AGold (no access to premium lounges). Unreciprocated measly NZ SP earn on *A member's tin does not help either, feels like spending more to get less. I am inclined to put more spend on OW members.
Totally agree. For me it’s BA and not QF but I like that I am consistently recognized on other OW carries and get very good treatment. *G does not give me anything except for lounge access and some airport priority perks which are nice but not consistently offered.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
The majority of my flights are too and within North America, and United give me a free bag each time which is appreciated. I also got free economy + seating yesterday, a perk I didn't realize existed. It was assigned to me and my partner who wasn't *G was assigned a normal seat and had to pay to sit next to me.

I will hit gold status with Qantas this year, but I doubt I will keep it next year. Earning on non-Qantas flights is shockingly bad. I get far better returns on most of my alliance trips with Air ANZ. In fact some of my cheapest SP is going to be flying alliance partners ($6-7 per SP, I am sure many of you get much cheaper SPs though haha)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:41 am

I joined just to reply...

All the talk so far has been of a derivative additional tier, but it needn't be like that. The new tier could be revenue based for example.

Secondly the benefits need not be lounges or boarding, not the traditional things. We are into an era of upgrade auctions. So what if the platinum / diamond tier members were given a 24h window at the end of the auction to bid for upgrades at the precise minimum price to secure an upgrade. It would be the sort of benefit top elites would value (while simultaneously grumbling) but it would cost the airlines very little. The number of such insightful bids an elite could make in a given period could easily be restricted.

If I was on the Star Alliance Board I would also be taking a hard look at premium credit cards like Amex Platinum and looking to see which of those benefits I could duplicate for ultra-elites.

​​​​​Airlines have gone to sleep on this. They made miles redemption less valuable but not concentrated on loyalty while allowing Priority Pass to reduce the value of lounge benefits. Personally I would be looking at things like taking the load off busy lounges by handing out vouchers for reductions at restaurants at check-in (redeemable on the day by showing the matching *A card).

Just matching OWE would be a very weak move. Nor would it fit very well with the diverse *A airlines. It is time to be imaginative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.