NZ/CX alliance entitlements

Old May 31, 2018, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
NZ/CX alliance entitlements

Sorry if asked before by fellow members
Got CX ticketed AKL to HKG on Y wondering if can use NZ premium check-in and lounge as Elite?

thanks
Old May 31, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Not if booked using a CX flight number according to NZ website:

Airpoints Elite and Gold members receive the same benefits when travelling on services operated by Cathay Pacific between New Zealand and Hong Kong when booked with a NZ flight number as they do when traveling on Air New Zealand operated services.

Lounge access

Departing New Zealand to Hong Kong: Elite and Gold members may access the Air New Zealand International Lounge, when departing on a booking with an NZ flight number from Auckland to Hong Kong, including NZ4993, NZ4995 or NZ4999 operated by Cathay Pacific. Usual guest allowance privileges for this lounge apply.

Departing Hong Kong to New Zealand: Gold and Elite members, plus one guest, may access the Cathay Pacific Business class lounges in Hong Kong airport when departing on a booking with an NZ flight number to New Zealand, including NZ4992, NZ4994 or NZ4998 operated by Cathay Pacific.

Connecting between Hong Kong and Beijing or Shanghai: Elite and Gold members, plus one guest, may also access Cathay Pacific/Dragonair Business class lounges in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai when they connect to or from a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight to or from Beijing or Shanghai.
Other benefits

Airpoints Elite and Gold members travelling between Hong Kong and New Zealand on a booking with an NZ flight number operated by Cathay Pacific will receive the same (or materially similar) loyalty benefits they usually receive on Air New Zealand operated flights.

In addition to lounge access, these benefits include:
  • priority check-in
  • priority boarding
  • priority seating
  • priority airport standby
  • extra checked-in baggage allowance (one piece up to 23kg)
  • a carry-on allowance of two bags up to 7kg each
Upgrades are only available on Air New Zealand operated flights.

The above benefits are not available on any other flights operated by Cathay Pacific, such as between Hong Kong and London, or flights booked with a Cathay flight number (starting with CX).
Old May 31, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

thanks Thai-Kiwi
Old May 31, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
CX ticketed but NZ operated? Can't imagine they would turn you away.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP didnt specify whether or not it was CX or NZ metal. Anyway, plenty of clear info on NZ website.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OP didnt specify whether or not it was CX or NZ metal. Anyway, plenty of clear info on NZ website.
Trying to use NZ Premium check-in suggests NZ metal.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Trying to use NZ Premium check-in suggests NZ metal.
I think I it was suggestive of someone who might be KC/NZ*G/NZ*E and hopes to use the benefits of such status.

We could both be right. OP can tell us....
Old May 31, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OP didn’t specify whether or not it was CX or NZ metal. Anyway, plenty of clear info on NZ website.
NZ operated on NZ87 but sold and ticketed as CX thanks all
may still walk into premium for check in first
I know CX pax with status (non-J) can go into AKL intl lounge outbounding to HKG from AKL on CX ticket
hope that goes well

Last edited by mmonster; Jun 1, 2018 at 12:09 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:01 am

The website suggests you can't access the lounge as a NZ Elite, Gold or Koru when flying on NZ87 if ticketed under the CX code. For that reason I have always avoided the CX code.

Please report back on your experience though - if it works then will follow suit in the future.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
I've just got off the phone from Cathay Pacific and I'm now confused about what "priority seating" for Koru members means. I'm booked from HKG to AKL on NZ4994 (operating as CX113) on 086 ticket in October, and was unable to select seats either via NZ or CX websites. NZ rep gave me the CX booking reference and advised me to phone CX. CX rep originally stated that there were no seating benefits for NZ Koru members. I directed her to the relevant Air New Zealand website:

Cathay Pacific travel benefts

Koru members travelling between Auckland and Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific on the following services will enjoy selected Koru member benefits.
  • Air New Zealand codeshare flights numbers NZ4990 - 4995 operated by Cathay Pacific
  • Air New Zealand flight numbers NZ80 - 87 operated by Air New Zealand
  • Air New Zealand ticket numbers starting with 086
Koru benefits available to members on those flights:
  • Lounge access
  • Priority check-in
  • Priority seating
  • Priority baggage
  • Complimentary additional baggage allowance (on a fare that includes checked baggage)
She then stated that priority seating refers to those with disabilities, and eligible Marco Polo or oneworld members. I will have to pay if I wish to reserve a seat (until 48 hours prior to flight when seat selection becomes available for free). My assumption was that "priority seating" in this context would mean I was eligible to reserve a seat in advance for free. I think that the CX rep has interpreted it as priority seating for disabled passengers (which anyone can access regardless of Koru club status). Has anyone had an issue with this previously?
Old May 2, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverTP
I've just got off the phone from Cathay Pacific and I'm now confused about what "priority seating" for Koru members means. I'm booked from HKG to AKL on NZ4994 (operating as CX113) on 086 ticket in October, and was unable to select seats either via NZ or CX websites. NZ rep gave me the CX booking reference and advised me to phone CX. CX rep originally stated that there were no seating benefits for NZ Koru members. I directed her to the relevant Air New Zealand website:

She then stated that priority seating refers to those with disabilities, and eligible Marco Polo or oneworld members. I will have to pay if I wish to reserve a seat (until 48 hours prior to flight when seat selection becomes available for free). My assumption was that "priority seating" in this context would mean I was eligible to reserve a seat in advance for free. I think that the CX rep has interpreted it as priority seating for disabled passengers (which anyone can access regardless of Koru club status). Has anyone had an issue with this previously?

No. However Id expect reciprocal benefits such as MP Silver;

Advance Seat selection

Subject to availability and applicable to paid tickets only.
Members companion can also enjoy this benefit when travelling with the member in the same booking.
Members must check in at least one hour before departure or seats will be released.
Group fares are not eligible.

Priority waitlisting
Preferred seating on Air New Zealandoperated flights
Members who are travelling on Air New Zealandoperated flights marketed by Cathay Pacific between Auckland and Hong Kong can enjoy preferred seating in a dedicated zone located towards the front of the cabin, subject to availability.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html
Old May 2, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
the last time I did the code share from Hong Kong - they tried to charge me for an extra bag. had to show the supervisor on my phone the T&C's that I was entitled to a free extra bag.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Thanks for your help everyone - I contact Cathay Pacific again via online chat and quoted the two websites with reciprocal agreements. Approx 20 hours later I've heard back both via email and a phone call. I've been allocated 40K for my flight from Hong Kong to Auckland at no additional charge!
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by SilverTP
Thanks for your help everyone - I contact Cathay Pacific again via online chat and quoted the two websites with reciprocal agreements. Approx 20 hours later I've heard back both via email and a phone call. I've been allocated 40K for my flight from Hong Kong to Auckland at no additional charge!
No chat feature came up on the CX website for me today. I contacted them via social media and they requested my e-ticket #. I just realised Air NZ actually send you the partner PNR on the e-ticket! I normally book Air NZ then look at the app and don't look at the e-ticket. I had already called Air NZ for the partner (CX) PNR prior but this is good to know. Saves a phone call at least. Plugged in the CX PNR to the CX website but no joy selecting a seat in economy.

Unfortunately CX social media said they couldn't help and to contact Air NZ. I think I'll try the CX call centre to nab a seat in economy. The PE booking automatically allocated me to a seat I think I like so no issues there, it's just the economy seating.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Flying AKL-HKG-PEK. Then returning PVG-HKG-AKL. All legs CX-ticketed / CX-operated. I am NZ*G.

Connecting between Hong Kong and Beijing or Shanghai: Elite and Gold members, plus one guest, may also access Cathay Pacific/Dragonair Business class lounges in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai when they connect to or from a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight to or from Beijing or Shanghai.

I'm guessing the answer "no", but does this mean we can access CX Lounge in HKG when flying on the PEK? And same in PVG when flying to HKG? Or (as I have assumed) it only applies if the other parts of the journey are NZ-ticketed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.