Air NZ to codeshare with Qantas

Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
QF frequent flyers get a better deal than Airpoints members... Some QF coded flights within NZ will earn QF points and status credits...

https://www.ausbt.com.au/earning-qan...tm_source=hero
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Both airlines are clearly trying to avoid lounges being swamped with riffraff like the VA deal. I see only GF Gold or higher will get access on NZ domestic flights.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
It's curious that QFF will get status credits on QF codeshare flights with NZ domestically, but NZ Airpoints wont get the equivalent on NZ codeshare flights with QF domestically. Both airlines offer Status Credits on flights by non alliance carriers in specific cases (Emirates for QF, Cathay for NZ, but to do that means bearing the cost of your own frequent flyers using status with other carriers.

None of this encourages me to fly NZ Trans-Tasman connecting to QF in Australia over just flying QF all the way. Arguably this deal means QF is more generous on the domestic NZ leg of a Trans Tasman ticket to its own FFs than NZ is, given the paltry APD and status credit earning rate for domestic add-ons. From my point of view (with regular Trans Tasman on both airlines, often with domestic connections at both ends), it changes little going to Australia (makes QF marginally more attractive if there is no priority checkin or greater luggage allowance if on NZ code), but going the other way QF is now more attractive to me, as I can book QF-NZ (with QF flight number) and get better earning, similar lounge access and greater luggage allowance than on NZ.
Kiwi Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: NZ*G, United.
This from qantas today, whatever it means...

"You can now book a QF flight number on 30 New Zealand domestic routes and earn Qantas Points and Status Credits with Air New Zealand, for travel from 28 Oct 2018. Eligible members also get access to 12 domestic lounges.3 "
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by macdo
This from qantas today, whatever it means...

"You can now book a QF flight number on 30 New Zealand domestic routes and earn Qantas Points and Status Credits with Air New Zealand, for travel from 28 Oct 2018. Eligible members also get access to 12 domestic lounges.3 "
QF codeshare on many (not all) domestic NZ flights when booked in conjunction with QF trans-Tasman flights. Earns points & status credits (more generous earning than NZ's). Also if have Qantas Gold, Platinum or Platinum One then can access the NZ lounge on departure.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
QF codeshare on many (not all) domestic NZ flights when booked in conjunction with QF trans-Tasman flights. Earns points & status credits (more generous earning than NZ's). Also if have Qantas Gold, Platinum or Platinum One then can access the NZ lounge on departure.
Thanks - in a fit of optimism I had interpreted as qantas points with NZ status! doh.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
NZ has now made standalone QF domestic rewards available to book using their online portal, as discovered by AFF.

Believe this is the only time you can book a QF coded flight from NZ. No frequent flyer benefits at all unfortunately.

How strange that NZ don't announce these things as if they don't want you to know.

https://www.australianfrequentflyer..../#post-1989716
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Been like that for an month or so, was looking at it recently for an cheaper way to get between BNE-SYD.

You can also use Qantas Points to book on NZ domestic flights, which are an pretty good deal if the price is high for the time you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.