Air NZ to codeshare with Qantas

Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
im reality there is nothing that should in theory stop QF for selling an standalone AKL-WLG on an QF code on an flight operated by NZ.
You're forgetting competition and cartel laws.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You're forgetting competition and cartel laws.
How is any different to an travel agent selling you AKL-WLG? Qantas is effectively an IATA travel agent, so is really no different that say buying you ticket on expedia.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Might be one of those articles but I did read it included reciprocal SP/SC earn which NZ never had with VA. Was only APD. I think the most I ever earned in economy was 4 APD so I'm expecting SP earn to be abysmal. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

If they're going to go like for like then Elite should get the domestic business lounges. I expect EP1 to get Chairmans Lounge, and NZ Gold and Koru to access the Qantas club for the Qantas club members and their own gold members.
Busy lounges never really bothered me, I see the lounges getting busier with the codeshare agreement.
No comment yet from those who complained about this in the past.
I guess this is what many are all willing to put up with for a larger lounge network.

If NZ's alliance with CX / SQ etc. are anything to go by, I expect SP earn on QF metal to be equally stingy, like for like.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NZ/VA competed with QF/QF or EK/QF for through flights to domestic Oz.
In NZ NZ/VA competed with QF/JQ for through flights.
IME QF never offered JQ NZ flights in conjunction with TT QF flights. But at times EK did.
For the most part JQ operates separate to QF

.. I think I read QF codeshare with CI from Oz - TPE already so the extension TT makes sense to me so QF will be competing against NZ's AKL-TPE starting November. There's still competition.
CI / QF already codeshare CHC-MEL-TPE but QF will not sell me a QF coded CHC MEL ticket on CI operated flight (I have asked). During summer CI is my most common airline MEL<--->CHC. A schedule that suits me, prices low and at times business class can be a little than NZ economy.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 1, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
IME QF never offered JQ NZ flights in conjunction with TT QF flights. But at times EK did.
For the most part JQ operates separate to QF

CI / QF already codeshare CHC-MEL-TPE but QF will not sell me a QF coded CHC MEL ticket on CI operated flight (I have asked). During summer CI is my most common airline MEL<--->CHC. A schedule that suits me, prices low and at times business class can be a little than NZ economy.
Did you try booking with CI? I booked AKL-BNE with them. I'm not sure CI are flying MEL-CHC anymore or in the coming summer. Had a quick look at CI's website randomly Nov 26 and basically codeshares listed with JQ/QF/NZ/VA/QF. No prices just X's and planes. Must be some negotiations taking place. Checked a Dec date also. But no actual CI aircraft listed. The link I posted was from May 30, 2018 planned for June 1, 2018 so you may need to check your options later. Just credit it to CI or your SkyTeam programme of choice.

Anyway, in light of this QF/NZ tie up, I don't think it would be fair if Qantas codeshares with CI as well. They would have every alliance in their back pocket AND EK on SYD-CHC, leaving VA out in the cold (as if the QF/NZ tie up wasn't enough of a blow).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic

Did you try booking with CI? I booked AKL-BNE with them. I'm not sure CI are flying MEL-CHC anymore or in the coming summer.
Have been a frequent passenger on CI57-CI58 MEL<---->CHC from late Nov to late March for several years. Only runs in the summer.

on topic
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

How is any different to an travel agent selling you AKL-WLG? Qantas is effectively an IATA travel agent, so is really no different that say buying you ticket on expedia.
How many travel agents also own the main competitor to the product being sold?

For AKL-WLG in conjunction with trans-Tasman QF offers both NZ & JQ (usually for the same fare). I nearly always pick NZ - better schedule and if anything goes wrong there are plenty of other flights to be moved to.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
off topic

Have been a frequent passenger on CI57-CI58 MEL<---->CHC from late Nov to late March for several years. Only runs in the summer.

on topic
Yes but the info I read and linked is new so doesn't apply to the past. If you check google flights for a whole week across the seasonal period (I chose Nov for a week), CI doesn't show up, and I just tried random dates on CI's website across Nov Dec Jan and now it just gives an error message. That doesn't look promising for your future MEL-CHC CI flights. It just doesn't look like they're operating that route anymore. I checked CHC-MEL-TPE and basically routes you CHC-AKL on NZ then AKL-BNE-TPE on their own metal. As it stands today it doesn't look like CI is flying that route anymore. It might be they're working out codeshare options with QF on the Tasman routes as per the link in a previous post.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For AKL-WLG in conjunction with trans-Tasman QF offers both NZ & JQ (usually for the same fare). I nearly always pick NZ - better schedule and if anything goes wrong there are plenty of other flights to be moved to.
Mwenenzi if you check Qantas site from Sydney to Napier where JQ fly it comes up with JQ onwards. Try Sydney to Tauranga where JQ don't fly but NZ do, you'll find NZ flying the domestic leg. Just examples.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Ausralia and New Zealand have an SAM (Single Avation Market) agreement - meaning that either airlines form either side of the Tasman have full rights and access to the other country.

im reality there is nothing that should in theory stop QF for selling an standalone AKL-WLG on an QF code on an flight operated by NZ.

If that's the case, why is anything in this thread even newsworthy?

The SAM is about which airlines are permitted to operate international service between the two countries. It makes no provision as regards allowing all participants to codeshare on all other participants...that is a commercial decision which each individual airline will make for themselves.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:10 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's newsworthy because they are the two dominant local airlines (domestically in respective countries and also for trans-Tasman) with extremely complementary networks.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Because for most of this century so far they've been direct enemies. Air NZ investing in Virgin (and then investing heavily just to keep them afloat) caused potentially billions of dollars of financial impact to Qantas in their home market as both airlines fought each other and dumped capacity on routes. Jetstar entering the NZ market was seen as a response to that solely to hurt NZ in their home market, with no real evidence to suggest than the NZ operations are at all profitable despite some media suggesting they are - NZ domestic operations are not broken out fully in financial results as they're run by Eastern Australian airlines.

The QF/EK partnership on TT routes was also seen as a way to hurt NZ, and the introduction of AA on the AKL/LAX route in conjunction with QF was also a direct hit on Air NZ.

They were enemies - and the fact they're now best friends has certainly come as a shock to lots of people. As part of the bigger picture however what they're going is very logical, and during both the '70s and '90s QF and NZ codeshared on each others services on the TT routes.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
More info on the codeshare agreement:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/earning-air...tm_source=hero

No status points on domestic QF flights even when they have an NZ Number.

No Qantas Club access for Koru members.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I wasn't expecting any SP earn. The VA alliance didn't have that either.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I wasn't expecting any SP earn. The VA alliance didn't have that either.
There is SP earn on Virgin as an NZ ticketed passenger. I have done several flights with them and earned the same SPs as I would have on NZ.
Correction- that is for my TT flights, you are correct for internal. Having said that NZ have given me SP's on internal VA flights when they have put me on VA after a disrupt.

Last edited by edmm; Jul 23, 2018 at 1:06 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
This codeshare and FFP agreement is only useful to a very small portion of travellers. Just as their AR agreement, it is very difficult to take advantage if any of the available benefits on the other carrier.

I can't really see the QF relationship going further. When the VA management changed hands, it would be so much easier to switch back to VA and would make much more sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.