Lack of online check-in at SIN?

Reply

Old May 25, 18, 2:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,376
Lack of online check-in at SIN?

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/acce...oarding-passes

According to this page when flying ex-SIN on NZ they don't accept mobile or home printed boarding passes, putting SIN with the likes of IUE and NLK (which you could understand the lack of OLCI there).

Does anyone know the reason why you can online check-in ex-SIN? it seems very dated and old fashioned for NZ not to be providing the service ex-SIN, when they do just about every were else.
cavemanzk is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 18, 5:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Platinum, QR Burgundy, Priority Pass, SQ, AA
Posts: 1,356
Takes two to tango. Was it an Air NZ issue or a Changi airport issue? I see SQ allow OLCI but it is their hub.
NZbutterfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 18, 9:42 pm
  #3  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 70,394
It won't be an airport issue. Plenty of airlines flying out of SIN allow OLCI there.

Perhaps NZ has been burnt by too many people who don't have correct documentation to enter NZ only being identified at the gate. Singapore has been cracking down on access to airside by people not flying.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 18, 11:14 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 490
Has AirNZ ever offered Online Checkin in Singapore?

Though internationally even if I online check in I still swing past the check in kiosks as find the kiosk faster than the humans in the lounge or gate to validate the passport. Would be interesting if the app could NFC to the passport to validate the document. I assume the Kiosks use the passport number, DOB and expiry date in the booking to access the details on the passport or OCR that information from the machine readable portion (the password to access the passport is the DoB, passport number and expiry). If the validation of the signing keys is done there is no real difference between presenting your passport to a checkin kiosk and your phone NFCing to it. As I doubt the checkin kiosk can do anything more than valid the passport details match the booking the keys are correct. AFAIK (save some facial recognition trails to streamline the process from checkin and gate, so only show passport once and your face becomes your boarding pass and even in that scenario there is your face in the passport and that is signed so can't tamper with it) no checkin kiosks are matching face to passport.

That said the US until at least earlier this year never validated the keys on the passport to ensure it was an actual passport https://www.wired.com/story/us-borde...ata-for-years/
nzkarit is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 18, 12:06 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 3,444
I don't see the point of OLCI at any airport where there are kiosks even if I don't have a bag. 30 seconds to use the kiosk saves them having to take your passport at the lounge or gate to validate it.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 18, 2:18 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,376
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
It won't be an airport issue. Plenty of airlines flying out of SIN allow OLCI there.

Perhaps NZ has been burnt by too many people who don't have correct documentation to enter NZ only being identified at the gate. Singapore has been cracking down on access to airside by people not flying.
Could be the case - do seem to remember an few years back there was some issues people from certain Asian countries having fake/incorrect visa's for New Zealand from around that region.

Although you would think they could at least offering it for NZ/AU passports if that was the case/

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I don't see the point of OLCI at any airport where there are kiosks even if I don't have a bag. 30 seconds to use the kiosk saves them having to take your passport at the lounge or gate to validate it.
Does NZ have access to Kiosks in SIN? Its more with it being pain with it being an 8:50am flight that you are required to be at the airport earlier. Basically had I known I would of just taken the SQ operated flight on the same day.

Probably something NZ should tell you when booking, its kinda of an expected product these days.
cavemanzk is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 18, 2:31 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 2,913
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Could be the case - do seem to remember an few years back there was some issues people from certain Asian countries having fake/incorrect visa's for New Zealand from around that region.

Although you would think they could at least offering it for NZ/AU passports if that was the case/
I don't think that's an issue now. Airlines checks visas electronically with Immigration NZ and the boarding pass will only be issued if they pass the automated system check. Agents do not need to physically sight visas anymore.
Xiaotung is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 18, 12:32 am
  #8  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 70,394
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Does NZ have access to Kiosks in SIN? Its more with it being pain with it being an 8:50am flight that you are required to be at the airport earlier. Basically had I known I would of just taken the SQ operated flight on the same day.
Given how efficient SIN immigration is, I wouldn't feel a need to check in particularly early on NZ.
samyoull likes this.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread