FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Lack of online check-in at SIN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1911152-lack-online-check-sin.html)

cavemanzk May 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Lack of online check-in at SIN?

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/acce...oarding-passes

According to this page when flying ex-SIN on NZ they don't accept mobile or home printed boarding passes, putting SIN with the likes of IUE and NLK (which you could understand the lack of OLCI there).

Does anyone know the reason why you can online check-in ex-SIN? it seems very dated and old fashioned for NZ not to be providing the service ex-SIN, when they do just about every were else.

NZbutterfly May 25, 2018 5:39 pm

Takes two to tango. Was it an Air NZ issue or a Changi airport issue? I see SQ allow OLCI but it is their hub.

Kiwi Flyer May 26, 2018 9:42 pm

It won't be an airport issue. Plenty of airlines flying out of SIN allow OLCI there.

Perhaps NZ has been burnt by too many people who don't have correct documentation to enter NZ only being identified at the gate. Singapore has been cracking down on access to airside by people not flying.

nzkarit May 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Has AirNZ ever offered Online Checkin in Singapore?

Though internationally even if I online check in I still swing past the check in kiosks as find the kiosk faster than the humans in the lounge or gate to validate the passport. Would be interesting if the app could NFC to the passport to validate the document. I assume the Kiosks use the passport number, DOB and expiry date in the booking to access the details on the passport or OCR that information from the machine readable portion (the password to access the passport is the DoB, passport number and expiry). If the validation of the signing keys is done there is no real difference between presenting your passport to a checkin kiosk and your phone NFCing to it. As I doubt the checkin kiosk can do anything more than valid the passport details match the booking the keys are correct. AFAIK (save some facial recognition trails to streamline the process from checkin and gate, so only show passport once and your face becomes your boarding pass and even in that scenario there is your face in the passport and that is signed so can't tamper with it) no checkin kiosks are matching face to passport.

That said the US until at least earlier this year never validated the keys on the passport to ensure it was an actual passport https://www.wired.com/story/us-borde...ata-for-years/

sbiddle May 27, 2018 12:06 am

I don't see the point of OLCI at any airport where there are kiosks even if I don't have a bag. 30 seconds to use the kiosk saves them having to take your passport at the lounge or gate to validate it.

cavemanzk May 27, 2018 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 29797754)
It won't be an airport issue. Plenty of airlines flying out of SIN allow OLCI there.

Perhaps NZ has been burnt by too many people who don't have correct documentation to enter NZ only being identified at the gate. Singapore has been cracking down on access to airside by people not flying.

Could be the case - do seem to remember an few years back there was some issues people from certain Asian countries having fake/incorrect visa's for New Zealand from around that region.

Although you would think they could at least offering it for NZ/AU passports if that was the case/

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29797910)
I don't see the point of OLCI at any airport where there are kiosks even if I don't have a bag. 30 seconds to use the kiosk saves them having to take your passport at the lounge or gate to validate it.

Does NZ have access to Kiosks in SIN? Its more with it being pain with it being an 8:50am flight that you are required to be at the airport earlier. Basically had I known I would of just taken the SQ operated flight on the same day.

Probably something NZ should tell you when booking, its kinda of an expected product these days.

Xiaotung May 27, 2018 2:31 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 29798095)
Could be the case - do seem to remember an few years back there was some issues people from certain Asian countries having fake/incorrect visa's for New Zealand from around that region.

Although you would think they could at least offering it for NZ/AU passports if that was the case/

I don't think that's an issue now. Airlines checks visas electronically with Immigration NZ and the boarding pass will only be issued if they pass the automated system check. Agents do not need to physically sight visas anymore.

Kiwi Flyer May 29, 2018 12:32 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 29798095)
Does NZ have access to Kiosks in SIN? Its more with it being pain with it being an 8:50am flight that you are required to be at the airport earlier. Basically had I known I would of just taken the SQ operated flight on the same day.

Given how efficient SIN immigration is, I wouldn't feel a need to check in particularly early on NZ.

cavemanzk Aug 21, 2018 11:21 am

So flew out of SIN last week on NZ.

Irroniclly at the airport there was an counter for “Online Check-In” bag drop for NZ!

Although the thing I noticed the most confusing is the NZ app doesn’t seem to handle an airport that doesn’t have online check-in. At 24hours out the APP switches to saying Check-In has closed for your flight - rather than check-in at the airport.