Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status point accrual

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Status point accrual

Thinking of doing a Perth to Rarotonga J trip. When you book it shows staus points are 236 for Perth to Raro and then only 131 for return trip. If you use SP calculator it shows Perth to Raro max 168 points. So question is, what would i get 236 or maybe max 168 or even 141?
should i ask NZ and get it in writing or book separate tickets?
Separately get 316 for Perth to Akl rtn and another 156 for Akl to Rar rtn, but is $1000 dearer for extra 105 SP
Old May 23, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Interesting. If I do a dummy booking I can see 236 SP on a Z class fare but the airnzpoints site only shows 131 SP against a Z class fare.

I'd be seeking confirmation from NZ
Old May 23, 2018, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi Wayoutwest thanks for getting in touch. When looking at a booking online, the Airpoints and Status Points it states that you will earn is the most accurate information as this takes into account more factors than the Airpoints Calculator. ^??

This from NZ so opens up some good runs.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Hi Wayoutwest thanks for getting in touch. When looking at a booking online, the Airpoints and Status Points it states that you will earn is the most accurate information as this takes into account more factors than the Airpoints Calculator. ^??

Unbelievable. What other factors? Suggest you take a screenshot and keep that email as you are in for a good treat.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by wayoutwest

Wow. What misleading information from Air NZ.

The airpoints calculator website is not less accurate than the booking engine. It is *more* accurate. The booking engine doesn't know about reverse directions or the fact multiple sectors in the same direction are always turned into a journey once complete and so it's routine with many scenarios with multiple flights to be shown earn on the booking engine that is significantly more earn than you will actually get.

Air NZ can't even make the "mix fare" option display accurate SP earn after a few years of the new booking engine. If you select this you'll see totally random SP (and APD) earn for the flight which are way in excess of what you will get. NZ will *not* give this earn to anybody and will tell you that the airpoints calculator website is the definitive site for actual earn.

It really just does how incredibly complex the Airpoints program is when they can't even build a model to accurate show FF earn on their own metal across all the places it's shown!
KiwiSurfer likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Wonder how they can do journey on reverse direction but not initial flight as per my original question.
May have to push this to CC and make complaint about misleading information and bait advertising - telling you about a benefit you can get but then not giving exactly what they said
They would of course say only estimates given but estimates should be realistic not double what they actually “pay”
Old May 24, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Wow. What misleading information from Air NZ.

The airpoints calculator website is not less accurate than the booking engine. It is *more* accurate. The booking engine doesn't know about reverse directions or the fact multiple sectors in the same direction are always turned into a journey once complete and so it's routine with many scenarios with multiple flights to be shown earn on the booking engine that is significantly more earn than you will actually get.
Talking about misleading information, the Airpoints calculator still shows earning rates for VA long haul flights (eg., MEL-HKG). So where do we find reliable information nowadays!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.