Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland Koru Lounge a playground

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yes they are. The current FQTV/FQTS policy is a result of people milking the system.
I thought that was resolved...

Anyway, IMHO they'd do well to take the SQ route and push partner *G/koru into another lounge and keep the flagship lounge for NZ frequent fliers, and J pax.

UA are starting to this with Polaris, and LH have been doing a variation on it with the Senator vs Business lounges in MUC/FRA.

(dreams are free)
Old May 24, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by samyoull
I thought that was resolved...

Anyway, IMHO they'd do well to take the SQ route and push partner *G/koru into another lounge and keep the flagship lounge for NZ frequent fliers, and J pax.

UA are starting to this with Polaris, and LH have been doing a variation on it with the Senator vs Business lounges in MUC/FRA.

(dreams are free)
We spent time in the SFO Polaris Club a few days ago because of a disrupt. It was excellent. Lots of room, different areas, a variety of seating and quiet areas. Also good a la carte food and good drinks. I think the Business only with no guests makes for a much better, quieter lounge.
I wish NZ would do the same.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Yes they are. The current FQTV/FQTS policy is a result of people milking the system.
I think I stole some milk a few times quite recently then - I usually enter the lounge with my TG*G number, then change the FF# to Airpoints if it is worth the APD/SP (ie if it earns 0 on TG, then I'll credit to NZ).

Actually, we still disagree on this phrase 'milking the system' - I see it as a core benefit of the *A (or any alliance) to enjoy the benefits such as priority check-in, lounge access and preferred seating across the 'system'. There is no 'doubling dipping' since, in my case, the mileage/SP/APD earn is (and can only) be with one *A carrier. But I absolutely believe that the *G benefits should be equally accessed by status holders irrespective of which account mileage is accrued into.

Lunch time.......if only I could have my cake and eat it too
drajknox likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by AU25
Since the easy to attain VA Platinum won't be able to get me into the NZ lounge anymore. Just signed up to Aegean and got to star allaince gold now only 12,000 miles needed to retain gold makes the NZ program look like a joke in comparison to retain status.
To retain A3*G with just 12k miles, you need to go to Greece to take at least four A3 (or OA) flights. Otherwise it's 24k to retain.

If you are based in New Zealand and fly Economy, it can be difficult as the majority of NZ fares don't qualify.
Ellice likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Wellington Intl Koru was a zoo this afternoon. Sign up saying no guests or lounge vouchers but it was at capacity with people standing.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
After the BNE VA flight left the lounge was half empty.

Again clearly Koru members are likely to be turned down if this this near capacity incidents keeps accelerating
Old May 24, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

That sign is up permanently in Raro yet there are normally spare seats and plenty people allowed in who do not have to scan BP, have to wonder why, but nothing done about it by those in position to fix the blatant misuse.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
200% on J fares with TG. 150% on J fares on NZ. 100% on all economy classes with SK. Redemptions are also very cheap for star alliance compared to NZ and you can do it all online none of this call to try book a star alliance award through the call centre.
Yes the A3 *A award tool is just great. Just booked a TT ow on AIRNZ in Nov for 12500 miles plus $55 tax. Had availability the whole month and all times/flights. Confirm was instant. Another A3 advantage is they have Booking.com as hotel partner. The return is around 1.3 miles per NZ dollar spend or 130 miles per 100 dollars. While only reward miles mounts up and thus able to be used for reward flights.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I think I stole some milk a few times quite recently then - I usually enter the lounge with my TG*G number, then change the FF# to Airpoints if it is worth the APD/SP (ie if it earns 0 on TG, then I'll credit to NZ).

Actually, we still disagree on this phrase 'milking the system' - I see it as a core benefit of the *A (or any alliance) to enjoy the benefits such as priority check-in, lounge access and preferred seating across the 'system'. There is no 'doubling dipping' since, in my case, the mileage/SP/APD earn is (and can only) be with one *A carrier. But I absolutely believe that the *G benefits should be equally accessed by status holders irrespective of which account mileage is accrued into.

Lunch time.......if only I could have my cake and eat it too
Don't you just need *A gold with one *A airline to enter *A lounges?
Is the *A programme you accrue to relevant?

I have no status with SQ but get into the SQ lounges with NZ status. I've switched my FF# to SQ in the SQ lounge for the subsequent SQ flight because I want to accrue to SQ for future redemptions and it may not earn much with NZ.

Would I be denied entry if I had my SQ FF# in the booking but showed my NZ *A gold card at the door? I'm not sure that's the case. I entered the Wellington International NZ lounge with an SQ booked flight, SQ metal to fly to CBR and showed my NZ *A card. Accrued to SQ fine. Confused the agent a bit but they worked it out.

I would also enter the NZ lounge by showing NZ card and accruing to VA while building status with VA. Sometimes I changed the number in the lounge, sometimes not. Depended on the proposed SP earn from my TT flight. Low I flick to VA for higher sc earn and high SP earn I keep with NZ. They have/had an alliance on that route.

Even if you split FQTV/FQTS you still have status with *A so I'm not sure splitting is even relevant. I've never actually split these. You can't have status with every *A airline. I don't think Air NZ or SQ can force me to accrue with a particular programme eg dictate if I accrue to NZ or SQ. I just need to earn *A with one carrier for lounge access (and other benefits), and I can choose who I accrue to. I'm too lazy to read the rules but that's how I figure they work because that's what I've been allowed to do on multiple occasions. Only a couple of agents blinked at it but they sorted it out.

I'm not sure what would happen if I were to fly Swiss, show my Air NZ card, but then accrue to SQ whom I have no status with. Having 3 different airlines involved in the equation does my head in. Maybe they would make me accrue to Air NZ as I'm using Air NZ's status to obtain lounge access.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I split with OW all the time, earning on QF, using Emerald status on BA to get better lounge access than on QFF. AFAIK it works because QF bills BA for the lounge access as Emerald status, even though it credits to my QF account with FFPs (this was explained to me some time ago).

Is *A different? On this basis, NZ would bill the other *A carrier for lounge access using its card, but credit airbucks/status credits to Airpoints.

In any case, even if NZ didn't allow it, it wouldn't make a material difference to NZ lounge occupancy. The end of the VA alliance might make a small difference at the international lounges, if VA didn't pay NZ for its status pax to get access to its lounges, although it may yet still do so for VA flights at least in some locations.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:08 pm

Well I agree they tried to stop this however it is not milking as long as you credit to one scheme. This one has backfired on Air NZ though as some agents will still do this so its not really strictly enforced. If they won't a quick reference to the star alliance lounge access policy normally fixes things Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Old May 25, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Don't you just need *A gold with one *A airline to enter *A lounges? Is the *A programme you accrue to relevant?

I have no status with SQ but get into the SQ lounges with NZ status. I've switched my FF# to SQ in the SQ lounge for the subsequent SQ flight because I want to accrue to SQ for future redemptions and it may not earn much with NZ.

Would I be denied entry if I had my SQ FF# in the booking but showed my NZ *A gold card at the door? I'm not sure that's the case. I entered the Wellington International NZ lounge with an SQ booked flight, SQ metal to fly to CBR and showed my NZ *A card. Accrued to SQ fine. Confused the agent a bit but they worked it out.

Well I agree they tried to stop this however it is not milking as long as you credit to one scheme. This one has backfired on Air NZ though as some agents will still do this so its not really strictly enforced. If they won't a quick reference to the star alliance lounge access policy normally fixes things Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
This issue has been extensively discussed in this thread, with some reports of pax being turned away unless accruing into the program they hold *G status in. read on...... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1878236-end-fqtv-fqts-entry-fields.html

I have always managed to make adjustments in the KC/Lounge if necessary. As an Airports Jade member, I have yet to try to enter the KC with only my TG*G card to see what would happen.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by libertyuk
I split with OW all the time, earning on QF, using Emerald status on BA to get better lounge access than on QFF. AFAIK it works because QF bills BA for the lounge access as Emerald status, even though it credits to my QF account with FFPs (this was explained to me some time ago).

Is *A different? On this basis, NZ would bill the other *A carrier for lounge access using its card, but credit airbucks/status credits to Airpoints.

In any case, even if NZ didn't allow it, it wouldn't make a material difference to NZ lounge occupancy. The end of the VA alliance might make a small difference at the international lounges, if VA didn't pay NZ for its status pax to get access to its lounges, although it may yet still do so for VA flights at least in some locations.
I know it's OT but I have actually been wondering if I can use QF status but accrue to AA, but fly QF still although I still value QF points for EK's network.

I tried to credit AA flight to AA and had AA# on the boarding pass but it still showed up in the QF account! That confused me! It was my original FF# in the booking but I changed it and it showed up on the boarding pass so I figured it was changed. Didn't make much sense to me so I haven't really ventured into trying to split status and accrual between programmes with OW. Showed QF card for access.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
This issue has been extensively discussed in this thread, with some reports of pax being turned away unless accruing into the program they hold *G status in. read on...... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1878236-end-fqtv-fqts-entry-fields.html

I have always managed to make adjustments in the KC/Lounge if necessary. As an Airports Jade member, I have yet to try to enter the KC with only my TG*G card to see what would happen.
Thanks for the reference. I feel Air NZ is running a fine line of breaching the star alliance lounge policy if that is the case.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Thanks for the reference. I feel Air NZ is running a fine line of breaching the star alliance lounge policy if that is the case.
This has also been discussed fairly extensively in multiple other threads over the past 18 months since this policy came into place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.