Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland Koru Lounge a playground

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I disagree with half the minimum requirement being too easy. The programmes work differently. Lets translate this to dollar value, it's easier comparisons.

$3k on flights eg AKL-LAX return sale PE with Air NZ might get me 254SP with Air NZ which is still only half of the flying requirement to NZ Gold. If I flew AKL-PER return with QF on a DSC offer in J for $2.9k that's ~640sc. It's 700 to attain gold and 600 to retain with QF.

I suppose this might come down to which routes you want to spend your money on but most people are flying predefined routes due to a holiday or work destination, but that's just off the top of my head. Despite the credit card link I still think NZ is tougher to earn status with than other programmes.

Edit: And don't even get me started on VA. A family trip is the equivalent of a quadruple status run! And that's available year round (to those with families). I'm sure there's a domestic return route where 4 people can earn 500 / 400sc to retain gold.
It sure does come down to routes and class of travel. To get to NZ Gold, you probably need 1 and a half AKL-LAX return trip in the cheapest Business fares and probably just 1 return trip if you are paying full fares. QF Gold requires almost 2 return SYD-LAX trips in Business, discount or not.

The qualification threshold (900 Status Points) hasn't changed comparing now with pre credit card era. How many people wouldn't qualify without the help of a credit card? With VA's Family Pooling, at least it helps them put butts in seats, airlines' core business.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by nzkarit
The Wellington international lounge will notice it as will be removing a 1/3 of the flights that use the lounge. Though suspect the 2x daily on VA will drop to <=1 NZ, so depending on when in the day it should be better in there. Likewise BNE in the evening there were 3x VA and 1x NZ. Will drop the 3x VA and get maybe 1 or 2 more NZ so will only end up with 75% of the people.

Though that also assumes VA doesn't pick up the NZ lounge as a contract lounge.
True, but at least VA Gold/Plat folks won't be able to access the lounges on NZ services. I assume a lot of them earn their status through flying NZ which they can no longer do post alliance.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:51 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
...Have to admit I've never seen the QF F lounge in Auckland overcrowded but there are things I don't like about that lounge as well. Food being one.
The one time I was in the AKL QF F lounge it was nearly full and I found that the EK lounge had better offerings.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
It sure does come down to routes and class of travel. To get to NZ Gold, you probably need 1 and a half AKL-LAX return trip in the cheapest Business fares and probably just 1 return trip if you are paying full fares. QF Gold requires almost 2 return SYD-LAX trips in Business, discount or not.

The qualification threshold (900 Status Points) hasn't changed comparing now with pre credit card era. How many people wouldn't qualify without the help of a credit card? With VA's Family Pooling, at least it helps them put butts in seats, airlines' core business.
But if you fly regional domestic you would require 225 flights at 4 sp per flight or 112.5 flights with around $101k spend on CC as well. Someone flying this many fights surely meets your earlier assertion re a person ‘flying more’ is more eligible and someone flying half this number of regional flights probably fly’s more often than most but wouldn’t come close to gold. Not every Frequent flyer flys long haul and someone purchasing 112.5 regional flights would almost certainly spend more than in your example. The problem is that the current system doesn’t satisfactorily reflect frequency of flying OR in fact spend. One could argue that the SP for Business fares and Long Haul fares are too generous and should be reduced to be relatively closer to those earned by regional and Short Haul Economy flyers. That would reduce the congestion in the lounges!
Old May 23, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: NZ *E
They have to wait on airport to update terminal

Last edited by ace86; May 29, 2018 at 6:28 am Reason: wrong information
Old May 23, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: NZ *E
Nice spreadsheet. Do you know if Auckland Airport were able to lease more space to Air NZ? Or did Air NZ decline it?
They were but the space has asbestos...
Old May 23, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ace86
They were able to get more space but couldn't expand the space due to asbestos. They have to wait for construction to finish on new airport
Yikes! I'm happy to wait for the new airport in that case.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung

But if I spend 3k with Air NZ I don't come anywhere near being half way to NZ Gold with my example (and flying PE), I get only 28% of 900, whereas 3k with QF I can fly J to Perth which isn't even as far and get 640sc during a DSC offer and be 91% towards QF Gold with one trip. The spend is the same.

The DSC and also 50% sc offers are perks to the QF programme just like credit card SP earn is to Air NZ. I still have to fly more with Air NZ to reach status even with the cc earn. There is no way around it with Air NZ. There is with VA and QF.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Comparing NZ and QF can be difficult as QF has lower requirements for Gold (700 vs 900), but offer lower status credits on higher booking class fares and higher status credits lower booking class fares. For example, MEL-SYD earns a minimum of 10SC's and a max of 20 for a full Y fare. NZ WLG-AKL earns a minimum of 8SC's but a max of 34SC's on a FlexiPlus Y fare. Trans-tasman is much the same. Minimum earn of 20SC's with QF and only 8 SC's with NZ. So QF is much better if you are travelling on cheaper fares as you get more status credits at a lower threshold. Whereas NZ can work out if taking higher fare classes. YMMV.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:02 pm

Since the easy to attain VA Platinum won't be able to get me into the NZ lounge anymore. Just signed up to Aegean and got to star allaince gold now only 12,000 miles needed to retain gold makes the NZ program look like a joke in comparison to retain status.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
What sort of miles did you earn from which class, thinking this could be sensible for my folks i when they visit from Europe.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by AU25
Since the easy to attain VA Platinum won't be able to get me into the NZ lounge anymore. Just signed up to Aegean and got to star allaince gold now only 12,000 miles needed to retain gold makes the NZ program look like a joke in comparison to retain status.
Which is exactly why Air NZ are clamping down on this.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:57 pm

200% on J fares with TG. 150% on J fares on NZ. 100% on all economy classes with SK. Redemptions are also very cheap for star alliance compared to NZ and you can do it all online none of this call to try book a star alliance award through the call centre.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Which is exactly why Air NZ are clamping down on this.
Not on star alliance gold they aren't If NZ was serious about reducing pax in the lounges they would cut Koru or increase the price significantly to make it less attractive however think the $$$ are more important to them. Children in my opinion she be counted as a guest if over 2 most other carriers have stricter policies in regards to children.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by AU25
Not on star alliance gold they aren't
Yes they are. The current FQTV/FQTS policy is a result of people milking the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.