Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is NZ finally going to improve on Business Premier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *G

The NZ Herald thinks so.

www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12051041
Old May 13, 2018, 9:52 pm

It does say its for the 772 replacement aircraft. Which isn't until 2022 or later. Getting a new seat for the 772 replacement was kinda expected.

Is interesting that the article tips the 777-X and as tag on says the A350 is another contender. I thought the 772 replacement had to be the A359? 787-10 to little range, 777-8X too many pax and too much range (too much range means carrying a lot of structure for higher MTOW and where NZ is located too far to push to Europe non stop). The A359 also an option of the ULR subfleet for US East Coast.

Last edited by nzkarit; May 13, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Old May 13, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Is interesting that the article tips the 777-X and as tag on says the A350 is another contender. I thought the 772 replacement had to be the A359? 787-10 to little range, 777-8X too many pax and too much range (too much range means carrying a lot of structure for higher MTOW and where NZ is located too far to push to Europe non stop). The A359 also an option of the ULR subfleet for US East Coast.
I think the A359 might just be in for the win now - even though the current 789 issues aren't Boeings fault more RR at fault. The general market will put it with 787, we're as if NZ takes the a359 it might help them PR wise which they really need now.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Had a chat with Luxon late last year in the AKL lounge and the only thing he liked about VA was their Zodiac Business seats on the 77W.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Had a chat with Luxon late last year in the AKL lounge and the only thing he liked about VA was their Zodiac Business seats on the 77W.
I'd like to see them come up with something more business suite like rather than the zodiac seat. If you're going to call it business 'premier' then there should be something 'premier' about it. The zodiac is a good seat but I think they can do better.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
\

Huh? They're B/E Super Diamond's not Zodiac seats.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
\

Huh? They're B/E Super Diamond's not Zodiac seats.
You are right. These reverse herringbone seats are all awfully similar.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:57 am

Plot twist...

The new Business class seats will look like this

Apparently Hi Fly and Old Emirates interior staff have been involved with this hanger 22 business...
cavemanzk, AviationNZ and samyoull like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
It is about time Business Premier had a generational update... and if we're thinking that now, imagine how we'll feel about it by 2022! That's a VERY long time in between major upgrades - not too far off 20 years, since the refresh around the 773 introduction was mostly cosmetic + IFE.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Long overdue!

Personally I go out of my way to avoid the herringbone seat...

Have avoided flying NZ long haul for almost 6 years now as I feel the product is just as antiquated now as it was then, however appealing and sentimental the soft product may be. NZ almost always can't compete on business class prices from US/ Europe to NZ or between LHR-LAX, nor can they compete with their hard product - hence the question to book NZ long haul does not enter my mind any more which is a real pity.

For me the seat on a long haul flights is the deal maker or breaker, more than schedule or price (within reason) or soft product features. It is where I will spend a night of my life that I will use as an office, cinema and dining room. It will have a big impact on how I feel the morning after also. Hence I kinda view my choice in long haul airline alongside my choice in hotel.

I prefer/ insist on having the following on my long haul flights:
  • a window that I can look out of
  • good degree of privacy - no disruption from neighbours or movement in the aisles
  • comfortable/ soft padding that supports in all the right places
  • good storage space around my seat, with places for phone, computer, glasses, water etc
  • good shoulder space
  • good adjustable seats, easy recline/ bed transitions
  • convenient charging points for my devices
  • an IFE screen that stays put and can be watched gate to gate
  • for long flights I also greatly appreciate a good massage function (not just a pathetic 'lumbar refresh')
For this reason Alitalia actually offers my preferred standard business class seat (similar to TG only with massage function) ... turn that into a mini-suite (a la QR, DL, WY) and I would happily go out of my way to spend 12+ hours in it, and maybe even pay a reasonable premium to do so.
ruff00 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
NZ almost always can't compete on business class prices from US/ Europe to NZ or between LHR-LAX, nor can they compete with their hard product - hence the question to book NZ long haul does not enter my mind any more which is a real pity.
Your definition of "compete" would certainly differ to NZ. The simple real world reality is that regardless of your views they are incredibly competitive on these routes. It's pretty rare to have BP seats free on NZ1/2 services both from NZ to LHR and the LAX-LHR sectors. Air New Zealand can charge a significant premium over other carriers and still easily fill their cabins. Many would consider that a case of winning in what is a highly competitive market.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:59 pm

Not a fan of aisle facing seats. On789 A seats have greater privacy, but that blank space in front is odd. Herringbone is not an efficient use of space.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Your definition of "compete" would certainly differ to NZ. The simple real world reality is that regardless of your views they are incredibly competitive on these routes. It's pretty rare to have BP seats free on NZ1/2 services both from NZ to LHR and the LAX-LHR sectors. Air New Zealand can charge a significant premium over other carriers and still easily fill their cabins. Many would consider that a case of winning in what is a highly competitive market.
NZ would not be investing in a new cabin if they didn't feel the pinch of competition.

From a consumer's perspective, NZ flights (originating from Europe) are almost always significantly higher than the competition ... quick google flights search for June LON-AKL rr confirms this (e.g. CX EUR 3911, TG EUR 3161, NZ EUR 5495) all with comparable journey times. Why would I pay so much more to get less?

Full cabins don't necessarily mean paid (or highly paid) seats nor do they tell the story of which markets these seats originate from. NZ do a great job filling their planes up front with NZ based corporate accounts and a loyal, home grown customer base. Additionally customers from Australia must generate a good demand since MEL-LAX rr with NZ is only EUR 2791 vs. AKL-LAX rr is EUR 3837 on the same flights, making NZ consistently one of the cheapest options to North America. Presumably because Australian consumers have far more choice in terms of price, product and schedule than New Zealand consumers to tolerate such a "premium".

It is my belief, that as more New Zealanders get to experience other airlines and more foreign competitors land in NZ, consumers there will see what they are missing. Corporate accounts and loyalty will only go so far before they need to start discounting their core market to keep up, and then there goes that premium.

NZ have a great little niche going for them, I just hope they can adapt and sustain themselves into the future.

Last edited by kiwitakingflight; May 14, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: typo
Old May 14, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
NZ would not be investing in a new cabin if they didn't feel the pinch of competition.
I would say weight savings and more seats in same area, while increasing per person usable, are big drivers as well. The Space Seat got pulled because it was too heavy.

Given that Gold RUs get turned down means they are getting enough paid pax up front. And v2 of the 789 has more seats up front because of demand, they wouldn't put more seats up front if their weren't the paying pax.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I flew in VA business class today. Loved it, far superior to what NZ offers. I'll always love Air NZ but I'd seriously consider flying via Australia (which feels less bad since I am from Christchurch so have to connect somewhere anyway) if VA was competitive at the time of booking with their prices.

Something I genuinely appreciated was the bar. I used it as a place to sit and do some work, and it made the whole plane feel a lot more open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.