Search

Couples status points?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Get to Gold Elite and Gold Elite Partner your wife
Old May 13, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
As couples, we are both Elite from personal travel. So I would have to disagree on the perceptions on that it is hard to attain. The very fact we give away our annual allocations of Elite Partner to work colleagues who do travel really means the status tiers and benefits system needs to be tightened and quite frankly I see that coming. NZ lounges are not what everyone makes it out to be on social media. Depending on your flight times, you'd be hard pressed finding a seat to relax or a quiet area to work. For domestic main trunks, I'd say 80% of the time I would use the lounge to check in for my flight, get a drink and then walk out. Gone are the days where it is packed outside the boarding gates and one would escape to the lounge to wait, and if you arrive for your domestic flights hours before then you are probably doing it wrong.

Also things could get messy if the couples broke up mid cycle.

The best recommendation for your situation and anyone with *S is to get Koru. The benefits provided are sufficient.

Last edited by dadig; May 13, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Old May 13, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by dadig
As couples, we are both Elite from personal travel. So I would have to disagree on the perceptions on that it is hard to attain. The very fact we give away our annual allocations of Elite Partner to work colleagues who do travel really means the status tiers and benefits system needs to be tightened and quite frankly I see that coming. NZ lounges are not what everyone makes it out to be on social media. Depending on your flight times, you'd be hard pressed finding a seat to relax or a quiet area to work. For domestic main trunks, I'd say 80% of the time I would use the lounge to check in for my flight, get a drink and then walk out. Gone are the days where it is packed outside the boarding gates and one would escape to the lounge to wait, and if you arrive for your domestic flights hours before then you are probably doing it wrong.

Also things could get messy if the couples broke up mid cycle.

The best recommendation for your situation and anyone with *S is to get Koru. The benefits provided are sufficient.
I would very much doubt that there is a high percentage of Elites who (i) achieve it through exclusively personal travel AND (ii) have a wife or partner who also does the same. Just because you and your partner achieve this doesn't mean to say that it is not hard to achieve. If you achieve this through exclusively personal travel you probably are retired or self-employed, do not overly concern yourself with cost, and have plenty of time for long haul leisure travel.

While I have no doubt that there are some Elites who do get there through personal travel most I know would achieve it through a combination of business and leisure travel and there are many who have to do status runs to achieve it.

Without time to do significant longhaul flying there is no doubt that it IS difficult to achieve if you fly mainly TT and domestically. You can be an extremely frequent domestic +/- TT flyer and not achieve Elite.

I doubt that there would be many who would say that it is easy to obtain and neither it should be - that is why it is called Elite. However those who bemoan the fullness of lounges etc should really think twice about giving away their elite Partner privilege to those other than their Partner - especially if as you suggest Elite is so easy for others to obtain. One thing NZ should do is ensure that the Elite Partner has the same residential address as the Elite to prevent this.

To say that just because you and your partner have achieved this means that it isn't difficult is a rather introverted view - I know couples where both are surgeons - does that mean that it is easy to be a surgeon, that everyone can be a surgeon and that their partner can be as well?
Old May 13, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by drajknox
I would very much doubt that there is a high percentage of Elites who (i) achieve it through exclusively personal travel AND (ii) have a wife or partner who also does the same. Just because you and your partner achieve this doesn't mean to say that it is not hard to achieve. If you achieve this through exclusively personal travel you probably are retired or self-employed, do not overly concern yourself with cost, and have plenty of time for long haul leisure travel.

While I have no doubt that there are some Elites who do get there through personal travel most I know would achieve it through a combination of business and leisure travel and there are many who have to do status runs to achieve it.

Without time to do significant longhaul flying there is no doubt that it IS difficult to achieve if you fly mainly TT and domestically. You can be an extremely frequent domestic +/- TT flyer and not achieve Elite.

I doubt that there would be many who would say that it is easy to obtain and neither it should be - that is why it is called Elite. However those who bemoan the fullness of lounges etc should really think twice about giving away their elite Partner privilege to those other than their Partner - especially if as you suggest Elite is so easy for others to obtain. One thing NZ should do is ensure that the Elite Partner has the same residential address as the Elite to prevent this.

To say that just because you and your partner have achieved this means that it isn't difficult is a rather introverted view - I know couples where both are surgeons - does that mean that it is easy to be a surgeon, that everyone can be a surgeon and that their partner can be as well?
I am Elite, mostly from work travel, with some leisure. My wife is also Elite, purely from leisure travel, basically coming with me. It costs us heaps and it not easy for her to achieve. Elite is not easy to achieve now, particularly with the low regional earning rates.
We gift the Partner statuses to 2 of our kids, whoever is likely to benefit from it the most.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Not to mention we now have some dodgy lounge sharing app hanging around.
There's an app for that now? Do you both have to swipe right?

(tinder ref)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.