Price of Wifi

Old May 11, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by bce1
FSM said some of his recent flights no one had purchased at all.
NZ will quickly figure out their price point.
I recall that the in flight phone service went away before a price point acceptable to AirNZ and customers was reached.

watching with interest,
Old May 11, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Just got notified my IAH - AKL flight is Wi-Fi enable and will be available after take off. NZ29 departing shortly
Old May 11, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by bce1
FSM said some of his recent flights no one had purchased at all.
NZ will quickly figure out their price point.
I wonder if it'll be like the phones you could use on the A320s a few years ago that nobody ever seemed to use and the result was that they were removed after a while?
Old May 11, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
I wonder if it'll be like the phones you could use on the A320s a few years ago that nobody ever seemed to use and the result was that they were removed after a while?
I think wifi is one of those features where Air NZ can't afford to be left behind. More and more airlines have it and more are rolling it out. Customers will come to expect it. Can't be last to the game!
Old May 13, 2018, 1:31 am

You can pay with Airpoints dollars. I can imagine for some less frequent travellers this may be a welcome addition.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Well I am about to board an air nz flight to Sydney from Christchurch. Would love WiFi even if it does cost $40 but don't think they have added it to our planes.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Well I am about to board an air nz flight to Sydney from Christchurch. Would love WiFi even if it does cost $40 but don't think they have added it to our planes.
Correct none of the current A320CEO’s have wifi fitted, when the A320/321NEO start arriving later this year they should come installed with it.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
So they are charging J passengers? Welcome to 1999, are they going to enable the in seat phones in J too?
LH/UA/AA charge passengers in J for WiFi. Not sure why NZ would be any different - if you're traveling for business, it's just another business expense.

$40 for a trans-Pacific flight, while high compared to competition (UA/AA), is well within what I would pay. Not realistic for a Tasman flight.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Wifi Pricing

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12054228

Apologies if been posted before, $40 a sector
Old May 18, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is another discussion on here about it. The NZ Herald is printing old news though - it's been $30 per flight for a couple of days now. Since there has been no official launch per se and no official pricing set I suspect Air NZ are simply testing the waters with different price points to see what uptake is at varying prices. Their comms team was a little vague when approached today about why pricing has dropped already.

For the NZ Herald to even suggst somebody who tested it said it was "dialup" speed is also complete and utter rubbish. You experience "dialup" speed on Emirates with their free L band solution that only supports around 384kbps total to the aircraft so 56kbps (dialup) speed is possible. Speeds on Air NZ during my testing, and that of other people I know who have used it has been no slower than around 2-3Mbps which is 50x faster than dialup.

Last edited by sbiddle; May 18, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Old May 19, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: NZ*G
My experience of the free trial was very good. There were no dropouts, I was able to download docs attached to emails and website access was smooth. When working on long haul flights $30 is actually very good value to me and I'll definitely use it. Kudos to Air NZ for taking the time to put in place a robust system, particularly for business travellers.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: NZ *G
For me, the analogy is to hotels. 10-15 years ago you paid a lot for bad WIFI, if it was available at all. Now, the quality is much better and many places have it free. In 5 more years it will likely be free everywhere. I expect that will happen with NZ in time, inevitably starting in J, but it won’t be as quick as many passengers will like.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by gratn
For me, the analogy is to hotels. 10-15 years ago you paid a lot for bad WIFI, if it was available at all. Now, the quality is much better and many places have it free. In 5 more years it will likely be free everywhere. I expect that will happen with NZ in time, inevitably starting in J, but it won’t be as quick as many passengers will like.
The thing is NZ isn't cheap in J - they are one of the most expensive airlines out there for J for an overopriced hard product from the early 2000s.
Bub001 likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold
a colleague and I used it Auck-LAX last week, consensus was it was pricey but fine for a flight that long.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Johnnynz
a colleague and I used it Auck-LAX last week, consensus was it was pricey but fine for a flight that long.
Is it $40 per device, or could you and your colleague share it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.