PE cheaper than seat only

Old May 9, 18, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
PE cheaper than seat only

Odd seat only $438 29th of July Auckland to Cook Islands but PE is $399
Old May 9, 18, 4:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Book it before it goes! It happens on occasion.
Old May 9, 18, 4:46 am

If you after SP then get lot more on economy than PE
Old May 9, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Odd seat only $438 29th of July Auckland to Cook Islands but PE is $399
I assume that economy is heavily sold, but not (yet) PE. Not too unsurprising, and when this happens worth it if the budget suits.
Old May 9, 18, 4:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Yes, this happened to me a few days ago. PE was slightly cheaper than economy on flight to Narita. I think because it coincided with school holidays so families had booked out economy. I got in quick and snapped up PE, and only 2 days later they bumped up the PE price to higher than economy.

But yes i get fewer status points.
Old May 10, 18, 1:34 am

Programs: NZ*GE
This happens a bit
Old May 10, 18, 4:17 am

Programs: DL, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Me too. Last month, I managed to get PE sale fare that was over 100 less than Economy. It only lasted about a day.

Status points? I'd rather pay less and sit in PE. I'm going to make silver this year either way.
Old May 10, 18, 5:18 am

This definitely happens a bit. Two weeks ago on my APW-AKL flight BP was $100 cheaper than seat only economy. Of course I jumped on it right away
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old May 10, 18, 2:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by akl_cat View Post
This definitely happens a bit. Two weeks ago on my APW-AKL flight BP was $100 cheaper than seat only economy. Of course I jumped on it right away
yes, this happens quite a bit. I've seen it happen on AKL-APW-AKL and AKL-RAR-AKL most commonly. Mainly seen it during school holidays when families etc. book out economy.
Old May 10, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
yes, this happens quite a bit. I've seen it happen on AKL-APW-AKL and AKL-RAR-AKL most commonly. Mainly seen it during school holidays when families etc. book out economy.
AKL-MEL / AKL-BNE too on busy weekends it can be cheaper to fly PE. Coming back from MEL-AKL in the January peak was $399 in PE or $450 Seat Only!
Old May 10, 18, 4:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
The overlap in the long term and promo fares means the most expensive economy fares (typically Y class) will always be more expensive than the cheapest A class PE promo fares, and typically priced around the same as E class PE fare.

I was looking at flights to the US the other week and during school holidays the difference between economy and PE was only $200 as discounted A class PE was available but there were no economy specials due to school holidays.
Old May 10, 18, 4:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
I have been looking further away from NZ recently as well. I just had a flight in China Eastern Business, for close to the same price as Fully Flexi Economy on Air NZ...
Old May 10, 18, 4:59 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by stick1 View Post
Yes, this happened to me a few days ago. PE was slightly cheaper than economy on flight to Narita. I think because it coincided with school holidays so families had booked out economy. I got in quick and snapped up PE, and only 2 days later they bumped up the PE price to higher than economy.

But yes i get fewer status points.
Exactly the same experience booking AKL to HKG kast month also. Checking back out of interest a few days later fares had normalised again.
Old Jun 26, 18, 5:10 am

Programs: AirNZ S*, AirAsia Black
Similar situation flying from AKL>RAR. Seat $963 Premium $674 (potential booking was 3 days in advance)
Rung to confirm, as I didn't want a post-booking phone call to kick me in the pants because I'd bagged a nice error price, told it was true and correct and to capitalise.

Last edited by mcgma760; Jun 26, 18 at 5:16 am
Old Jun 26, 18, 2:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I had a last minute trip over to Samoa earlier in the month. It was $1049 in BP, somewhere around $1071 in economy and over $1200 in PE.
ps107 likes this.

Search this Thread