Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Successful/unsuccessful RU/elite APD upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful RU/elite APD upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Date: October 17th
Route: AKL-BNE
Class upgrade: Y - PE
Type of upgrade: Elite APD
Confirmed immediately
Current Status : Confirmed
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Date: October 28th
Route: AKL-PER
Class Upgrade: Y-PE
Type of Upgrade: RU

Date: November 2nd
Route: PER-AKL

I booked paid PE for Mum same flights but need to use my RU's somewhere (lost one when Silver to Gold). Not very confident about PER-AKL as apparently PE fairly full but I'll be peed off if neither clear - have called and "joined" bookings to see if helps.
My ticket is Wgtn-PER return, Mum's was multistop (AKL-PER-PER-WGTN) and the PE was a well priced add-on (< $200 per leg as I recall).
Can't upgrade my cabin online PER-AKL (maybe as I've lodged RU?) which probably my best option.
Will see what happens unless any ideas anyone.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by freemark
Date: October 28th
Route: AKL-PER

Date: November 2nd
Route: PER-AKL

I booked paid PE for Mum same flights but need to use my RU's somewhere (lost one when Silver to Gold). Not very confident about PER-AKL as apparently PE fairly full but I'll be peed off if neither clear - have called and "joined" bookings to see if helps.
My ticket is Wgtn-PER return, Mum's was multistop (AKL-PER-PER-WGTN) and the PE was a well priced add-on (< $200 per leg as I recall).
Can't upgrade my cabin online PER-AKL (maybe as I've lodged RU?) which probably my best option.
Will see what happens unless any ideas anyone.
Apart from mid winter I find that route pretty busy. Been declined upgrades before so wouldn’t hold my breath. I see your return date has 2 direct flights but one has sold out in PE already and the other gone up in price. All I can say is fingers crossed and if you’ve got other flights in the future you can put the RUs towards then do that.

What you could do is call up to see if you can upgrade a cabin. Tell them your mum is flying PE too. I think it helps. It’s still a trans Tasman trip so they should waive the fee and just tell them you can’t do it online.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Date: 31st May 2019
Route: AKL-IAH
Class upgrade: PE - J
Type of upgrade: Elite RU
Confirmed immediately

Date: 7th June 2019
Route: IAH - AKL
Class upgrade: PE - J
Type of upgrade: Elite RU
Confirmed immediately
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly

Apart from mid winter I find that route pretty busy. Been declined upgrades before so wouldn’t hold my breath. I see your return date has 2 direct flights but one has sold out in PE already and the other gone up in price. All I can say is fingers crossed and if you’ve got other flights in the future you can put the RUs towards then do that.

What you could do is call up to see if you can upgrade a cabin. Tell them your mum is flying PE too. I think it helps. It’s still a trans Tasman trip so they should waive the fee and just tell them you can’t do it online.
Yeah, cheers. I noticed the PE prices going up hourly for the evening flight. Not sure why they don't put on a 777 for this route as I bet it's a great revenue generator with the FIFO's cash rich and looking for a bit of comfort. I'll see what I decide to do - maybe just get suitably anaesthetised in the Perth Lounge (haven't been to the new one) and bear the cheap seats if all else fails.
I used to fly this leg quite often back in the late '80's/early '90's in a British Airways 747. Top deck was often Y Class and those were the days when you could get the odd cockpit visit in.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite*G; Skywards Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Date: 25 Sep 18
Route: SYD - AKL
Class upgrade: Y - J
Type of upgrade: Elite Short Haul RU
Current Status: Confirmed 7 days before departure
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: NZ*E
My wife and I have seat only fares, Apia to Auckland, next July. I rang and tried to upgrade to BP with RUs but unable to get confirmed upgrades, so accepted confirmed upgrades to PE (which is fine for a short trip). It included no bags however, so a bag was added to one of the Seat Only fares.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Seems odd that PE has no bags, it should have 2 each, plus an extra for being Elite.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yip you'll get a 2 bags each for a PE fare. This would have been updated at the time of upgrade clearing.

I have however seen on occasion historically the eticket doesn't update to show the new baggage allowance, but it shows in the app and myairnz flight summary.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yip you'll get a 2 bags each for a PE fare. This would have been updated at the time of upgrade clearing.

I have however seen on occasion historically the eticket doesn't update to show the new baggage allowance, but it shows in the app and myairnz flight summary.
Thanks. I don't have the app (I'm one of those dinosaurs that don't have a smart phone), but the flight summary definitely showed "no bags" until I purchased one a few days later.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Date: October 7th
Class upgrade: PE - BP
Type of upgrade: 1xAPD upgrade
Not confirmed at time of request 24th August.
Current Status : Declined at check in, lounge, gate

Date: October 16th
Route: SFO - AKL
Class upgrade : PE - BP
Not confirmed at time of request 24th August
Current Status : Pending
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:02 pm

Hi,

I would like to upgrade 2 seats to PE
I have 1 recognition upgrade and I am keen to make an offer on OneUp as well.

How should I play this out ? Make the Recognition upgrade for 1 seat and a OneUp offer for 2 seats at the same time ?
What if my recognition upgrade is accepted and my Oneup to PE as well ? Will I get 1 seat upgraded to BP from the reco upgrade ?

thanks
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by aaaa
Hi,

I would like to upgrade 2 seats to PE
I have 1 recognition upgrade and I am keen to make an offer on OneUp as well.

How should I play this out ? Make the Recognition upgrade for 1 seat and a OneUp offer for 2 seats at the same time ?
What if my recognition upgrade is accepted and my Oneup to PE as well ? Will I get 1 seat upgraded to BP from the reco upgrade ?

thanks
I'm quite confused reading this. You can't stack upgrades except for RUs (and need 2x RU to go to BP).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
10/10/18
NZ191 AKL > ADL
Y > PE
Elite APD
Request lodged a couple months out
Declined - full in both J and PE but sparse in Y

12/10/18
NZ114 SYD > AKL
Y > J
SH Recognition Upgrade
Request lodged couple months out
Confirmed at check-in at ADL
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Date: October 7th
Class upgrade: PE - BP
Type of upgrade: 1xAPD upgrade
Not confirmed at time of request 24th August.
Current Status : Declined at check in, lounge, gate

Date: October 16th
Route: SFO - AKL
Class upgrade : PE - BP
Not confirmed at time of request 24th August
Current Status : Approved at 24 hours prior to departure

Updated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.