Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ air point restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANZ airpoints
Thumbs down Air NZ air point restrictions

If it wasn't bad enough to find that the temporary HiFly flight did not have normal business class seats, we later discovered that somewhere deep in Air NZ rules you don't get extra air points when you upgrade to Business Class at the airport. Beware all!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Zardoz88
If it wasn't bad enough to find that the temporary HiFly flight did not have normal business class seats, we later discovered that somewhere deep in Air NZ rules you don't get extra air points when you upgrade to Business Class at the airport. Beware all!
I wouldn't expect to. You don't get points for any upgrades - and the upgrade rates available at the airport are discounted rates that fall into this category.

If you want points you'll need a full paid upgrade into a paid booking class.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zardoz88 Welcome to FT

...we later discovered that somewhere deep in Air NZ rules you don't get extra air points when you upgrade to Business Class at the airport.
That's normal practise for most(all?) airlines
I am not aware of any airline freq flyer program that gives you business class points/status when you upgrade at the airport at checkin. As above, the upgrade will be at a cash discount to the normal fare difference.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:36 am

Echoing the above. However, to be fair Air NZ does not make this clear in most circumstances. I don't believe it's mentioned at all when doing a OneUp, for example.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Zardoz88 Welcome to FT

I am not aware of any airline freq flyer program that gives you business class points/status when you upgrade at the airport at checkin. As above, the upgrade will be at a cash discount to the normal fare difference.
I think EY gives you 10% extra on a bid to upgrade that's successful. Or at least they used to. Not much but a bit of something.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think this is quite well-known for most airlines. Original ticket miles/points.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Zardoz88 Welcome to FT

Actually, BA is one exception here. A paid upgrade will get you the high cabin TP and Avios.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think this is quite well-known for most airlines. Original ticket miles/points.

Actually, BA is one exception here. A paid upgrade will get you the high cabin TP and Avios.
VS, too - cash upgraded a cheap SFO-LHR last year to PE and got triple the miles!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Echoing the above. However, to be fair Air NZ does not make this clear in most circumstances. I don't believe it's mentioned at all when doing a OneUp, for example.
It's definitely mentioned. I remember reading it and sighing about it.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:36 am

CZ op up from Bus to First CHC-CAN ...booked in I (heavily discounted business...lowest value miles), credited with J (full fare Business...double the miles).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Bub001
CZ op up from Bus to First CHC-CAN ...booked in I (heavily discounted business...lowest value miles), credited with J (full fare Business...double the miles).
Wait - a free operational upgrade earned increased miles? That takes the cake!

It does sound like an error or glitch though. Have you read of others with the same outcome?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Bub001
I wonder how CZ First is like? their J is not worth it I think.... as with most Chinese carriers- the likes of CA/MU/FM/HX/HU and I am not putting CX/SQ/(NH/JL/OZ/KE - Asian) there.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:24 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mmonster
I wonder how CZ First is like? their J is not worth it I think.... as with most Chinese carriers- the likes of CA/MU/FM/HX/HU and I am not putting CX/SQ/(NH/JL/OZ/KE - Asian) there.
CZ first has much better seats than business. Food and beverage is almost identical (just a few extra options/touches).

Both first & business on CZ can be vastly cheaper than NZ (e.g. 50% or less).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.