FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Re: NZ elite hotel benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1904520-re-nz-elite-hotel-benefit.html)

NZbutterfly Apr 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Re: NZ elite hotel benefit

If Accor status entitles you to an upgrade, anyone have success upgrading further with the NZ elite hotel vouchers?

Keep forgetting they exist so never used it. I understand the restrictions.
And is it specific to Mercure or say the Auckland property was refurbed and renamed to Grand Mercure so I'm guessing the voucher can't be used there?

Thai-Kiwi Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm not sure stacking upgrades in this way can be achieved, but don't have personal experience.

OT (slightly), for my upcoming stay at Novotel AKL I had previously contacted the hotel directly to signal interest in upgrade (I am Accor Gold). A few days ago I received an email essentially offering 2 kinds of 'up-sell' to the room, the first level was for $0, presumably because it is a status benefit.

dadig Apr 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Good point raised here - However I keep forgetting to bring the voucher and I've had a stack of these on the occasion I end up staying at an Accor

NZbutterfly Apr 18, 2018 2:40 am

Looks like the uptake on the vouchers isn't that great (as I expected). I have mine in my wallet and still can't remember to use them. Well if anyone remembers to use it would be good to hear how it pans out.

gratn Apr 18, 2018 2:48 am

Personally, I find these a waste of time. I never use them.

drajknox Apr 18, 2018 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 29653309)
I'm not sure stacking upgrades in this way can be achieved, but don't have personal experience.

OT (slightly), for my upcoming stay at Novotel AKL I had previously contacted the hotel directly to signal interest in upgrade (I am Accor Gold). A few days ago I received an email essentially offering 2 kinds of 'up-sell' to the room, the first level was for $0, presumably because it is a status benefit.

I received a similar email for a NZ Novotel when I was Accor Gokd but it stated charges for any upgrade - I replied that my upgrade should be complementary if avail as Accor Gold and that I was pleased to see that upgrades were available - on checkin I had been upgraded :)

i tried to to use the NZ upgrade voucher last weekend at Novotel Wellington but was told as they were fully booked their was no upgrade available as I had already booked a Premium View room. I wonder how well the hotels are reimbursed by NZ when upgrades are allocated.

NZbutterfly Apr 18, 2018 3:59 am

Originally Posted by gratn (Post 29654737)
Personally, I find these a waste of time. I never use them.

Is this because you forget to use them? Or don't use Accor?

Originally Posted by drajknox (Post 29654796)
I received a similar email for a NZ Novotel when I was Accor Gokd but it stated charges for any upgrade - I replied that my upgrade should be complementary if avail as Accor Gold and that I was pleased to see that upgrades were available - on checkin I had been upgraded :)

i tried to to use the NZ upgrade voucher last weekend at Novotel Wellington but was told as they were fully booked their was no upgrade available as I had already booked a Premium View room. I wonder how well the hotels are reimbursed by NZ when upgrades are allocated.

Love your well worded reply.

I have to admit I have never looked up the participating hotels but the voucher says Millennium, Copthorne, Sofitel and Mercure. Didn't realise it would apply to Novotel also. Is it the whole Accor range? I had a quick look on the NZ website but under elite and with regards to hotel vouchers there wasn't exactly a list of hotels. And then under hotel partners I figure that's just APD earning and unrelated to the voucher?

drajknox Apr 18, 2018 4:44 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 29654861)
Is this because you forget to use them? Or don't use Accor?

Love your well worded reply.

I have to admit I have never looked up the participating hotels but the voucher says Millennium, Copthorne, Sofitel and Mercure. Didn't realise it would apply to Novotel also. Is it the whole Accor range? I had a quick look on the NZ website but under elite and with regards to hotel vouchers there wasn't exactly a list of hotels. And then under hotel partners I figure that's just APD earning and unrelated to the voucher?

Just had a look at one of my vouchers and it says Milennium/Copthorne/Sofitel/Novotel/Mercure.

Markhm Apr 18, 2018 4:51 am

I am Platinum Accor so receive upgrades anyway. In a case of the proverbial gift horse, I have never tried to stack upgrades. I must admit, if they were e upgrades they would be more appealing than paper. Similarly, additional koru parking days would add more value to me.

NZbutterfly Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox (Post 29654932)

Just had a look at one of my vouchers and it says Milennium/Copthorne/Sofitel/Novotel/Mercure.

That's so strange. I have 4 yrs worth here and none of mine say Novotel. I wonder if it's to do with membership year although I received my pack in March. I think I took vouchers out of there (or may have put it in the bin without looking around the rest of it?). I stay at more Novotels than the other chains listed. Anyone know when Novotel was added to the cards?

Originally Posted by Markhm (Post 29654948)
I am Platinum Accor so receive upgrades anyway. In a case of the proverbial gift horse, I have never tried to stack upgrades. I must admit, if they were e upgrades they would be more appealing than paper. Similarly, additional koru parking days would add more value to me.

True my wallet stretched with cards so now things fall out but I'm reluctant to get anything larger as I'm trying to be compact as it helps for travel etc. That would be great if we could swap the rental car and hotel vouchers for something we valued like parking and those in the regions could maybe swap it for a hotel voucher or something else (although that still probably won't sound like a great offer).

I receive upgrades but I have to admit most of them are higher room or different view but I don't really notice it that much. Some hotels are better than others at upgrades to something more spacious like a suite which I really appreciate but that hasn't been my usual experience. Have Platinum currently but not loyal enough to keep it (of course they bring in free breakfast when I'm on my way out!) Have slept my way to gold though.

gratn Apr 19, 2018 3:22 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 29654861)
Is this because you forget to use them? Or don't use Accor

I don’t tend to stay with them, but when I do it’s invariably during the week, not at the weekend.

NZ_Flyer Apr 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 29653309)

Yep the email takes into account your status and will offer you the next category up for free if you are Gold or Platinum. A little trick is to say yes and accept the free upgrade as the hotels often get confused and upgrade 1 room category again from your already upgraded room when you go to check-in

Markhm Apr 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Righto,
I just had a look at some of mine in my wallet.

The old yellowish vouchers (correct as at 31 Oct 2008) has sofitel, novotel, mercure

voucher from couple of years ago (white) (correct as at 1 August 2016) has sofitel and Mercure (no Novotel)

drajknox Apr 21, 2018 3:32 am

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a5b7132ff8.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ead7edd6b.jpeg

Here’s a photo of an 0816 version which has Novotel.

Originally Posted by Markhm (Post 29666248)
Righto,
I just had a look at some of mine in my wallet.

The old yellowish vouchers (correct as at 31 Oct 2008) has sofitel, novotel, mercure

voucher from couple of years ago (white) (correct as at 1 August 2016) has sofitel and Mercure (no Novotel)

​​​​​​​

JayKiwi Apr 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 29657539)
That's so strange. I have 4 yrs worth here and none of mine say Novotel. I wonder if it's to do with membership year although I received my pack in March. I think I took vouchers out of there (or may have put it in the bin without looking around the rest of it?). I stay at more Novotels than the other chains listed. Anyone know when Novotel was added to the cards?

Coincidentally, I used one of these for the first time the other day at AKL Novotel. It was touch and go in terms of room availability to upgrade to, but I did indeed move up a room category [around 100 bucks worth of upgrade based on advertised price]. I was very happy with that - I hold no Accor membership.