Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra stop for NZ289

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Extra stop for NZ289

I see last night's (21/04/18) NZ289 made a stop in CNS on the way over, and the return flight NZ286 is scheduled to make a stop in GUM on the way back. NZ289 today (22/04/18) is also stopping in Guam en route to PVG. Anyone knows the reason behind this? Does it have to do with the ETOPS range on these 789s being limited to 140 min from 330 min?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
ETOPS restrictions and fuel load.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Interesting. I wonder if I’ll get a stop in Guam next month.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
for these stops do you stay on board - or disembark (and if so, do you require US immigration clearance?)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
for these stops do you stay on board - or disembark (and if so, do you require US immigration clearance?)
It's a technical refuelling stop, so you stay on board.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Originally Posted by Top of climb
It's a technical refuelling stop, so you stay on board.
That may be the case today, but it's not as silly a question as you may think. Starting after 9/11, the US required passengers on all technical stops to deplane and have their passports scanned by US Immigration. This affected some flights like Toronto to Hong Kong that stopped in Alaska for fuel when westbound. Since the flight didn't originate or terminate in the US, passengers were not required to be admissible to the US and even if they were, were not considered admitted to the US, but they still had to have their passports scanned by a CBP officer to verify that they were not on a "do not fly" list. I never read of that rule having gone away. but it may have.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
That may be the case today, but it's not as silly a question as you may think. Starting after 9/11, the US required passengers on all technical stops to deplane and have their passports scanned by US Immigration. This affected some flights like Toronto to Hong Kong that stopped in Alaska for fuel when westbound. Since the flight didn't originate or terminate in the US, passengers were not required to be admissible to the US and even if they were, were not considered admitted to the US, but they still had to have their passports scanned by a CBP officer to verify that they were not on a "do not fly" list. I never read of that rule having gone away. but it may have.
If there was that requirement surely NZ would be stating it on their 789 update page? To ensure people have their paper work in order?

Particularly after some Media Company's Travel Agent recently didn't know the rules (of LAX transit) and the client made a big song and dance about it.(Assuming business travel at a media company would go through a travel agent, who should know about visa etc as Media need media visas opposed to tourist or standard do business visas). Think NZ would be clear about this type of thing if there was the potential for an issue.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Nz*G
The drama with Barry Soper was so amateur he should’ve been embarrassed!

why would you write about it!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.