Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trent woes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: United 1K
We received an email on August 31 notifying us that our flight to Auckland would be impacted by the leased aircraft. However, our route is LAX - AKL (with a trip from IAH-LAX on United to connect). However - there is no listing of our flight NZ5 being impacted by the leased aircraft. The operators at Air New Zealand aren't sure. Was it just emailed in error or is the LAX - AKL route impacted?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
We received an email on August 31 notifying us that our flight to Auckland would be impacted by the leased aircraft. However, our route is LAX - AKL (with a trip from IAH-LAX on United to connect). However - there is no listing of our flight NZ5 being impacted by the leased aircraft. The operators at Air New Zealand aren't sure. Was it just emailed in error or is the LAX - AKL route impacted?
With some recent flights to Perth I found the emails etc ahead of updates on the site. There seems to be many independent systems that need updating and the change does not propagate through all the system automatically.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
When is your flight? I recently booked my husband on NZ6 AKL-LAX for early January. When I selected the flight a pop-up window came up informing me this flight would be operated by an EVA 777, even though the travel alert page does not state that this route will be affected (https://www.airnewzealand.com/travel-alerts). The later flight (NZ2) did not have the same warning and also said that skycouch is available, so it seems they plan to use their own metal for that flight. You could go to NZ's website and search on your date and see if you get the same message, but if your flight isn't within a few weeks, I assume this could all change anyway. Are you able to select seats?

I also booked AKL-PPT recently and did not receive the pop-up message, but since booking it has changed from a 777 to 787 and I was able to buy a skycouch after the change (which I couldn't while originally booking), but the travel alert says this *is* an impacted route during that timeframe.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The EVA 77W was scheduled to fly NZ5/NZ6 services from late October and this was on the Air NZ travel alerts page about a month ago. It would seem like so many fleet changes at present that constant change occurs and nothing is guaranteed!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:10 pm

Here's the announcement on routesonline https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-29aug18/
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The EVA 77W was scheduled to fly NZ5/NZ6 services from late October and this was on the Air NZ travel alerts page about a month ago. It would seem like so many fleet changes at present that constant change occurs and nothing is guaranteed!
seemed to gave dodged this substitituion by sheer luck - chose NZ1 instead on one of the affected days (without doing any research!)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
seemed to gave dodged this substitituion by sheer luck - chose NZ1 instead on one of the affected days (without doing any research!)
May not be happening now though, it's not on the Air NZ website any longer.

I had been told it was going to end up on AKL-YVR, but even that's only listed for short periods of time.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
That $40 mil figure isn't new. It was announced last month during the annual report.
​​​​​​​I'll assume that Bloomberg didn't read that report then.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
​​​​​​​I'll assume that Bloomberg didn't read that report then.
Lol. You'd hope they had.

The figure quoted by Luxon in the analyst call and in the annual results presentation was "between $30 - $40 million"
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Lol. You'd hope they had.....
I forgot to include an emoji at the end of my post.

I'll assume that Bloomberg didn't read that report then.

As for the fan blades deteriorating faster that first thought etc, I was speaking with a couple of pilots in HKG recently, and one quoted me data on the serious impact this is having on NZ, saying it was disproportionately more than some of the other airlines with these engines. He mentioned the number of NZ aircraft affected relative to fleet size.

Question for you, and the forum:
While RR is paying some of the costs related to the repairs/replacement of the engine parts and perhaps the leasing costs for the BR and SQ aircraft (?), could RR run out of money to pay for all this and of the costs paid by NZ, will fares have to rise to cover it all?

Thanks.
​​​​​​​.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 30, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:20 pm

I forgot to include an emoji at the end of my post.

As for the fan blades deteriorating faster that first thought etc, I was speaking with a couple of pilots in HKG recently, and one quoted me data on the serious impact this is having on NZ, saying it was disproportionately more than some of the other airlines with these engines. He mentioned the number of NZ aircraft affected relative to fleet size.

Question for you, and the forum:
While RR is paying some of the costs related to the repairs/replacement of the engine parts and perhaps the leasing costs for the BR and SQ aircraft (?), could RR run out of money to pay for all this and of the costs paid by NZ, will fares have to rise to cover it all?

Thanks.
​​​​​​​.
RR and AirNZ would both have insurance to cover this so won't run out of money per se. So if(/when) their insurance costs go up there will be a knock effect. the RR one will be slower as AirNZ won't see the price hike until they have to renew the leases on the engines. (Pretty the Trents on are on pay by the hour contract opposed to owned)
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:22 pm

The impact is disproportionately significant for NZ (and LATAM as well) primarily due to their long flights and reliance on ETDO operations.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
My Fiji flight has just changed from 772's to the Eva Air Plane - notified via email. This is after it has been retimed twice. The PE looks far inferior to the seats on the 772.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound
My Fiji flight has just changed from 772's to the Eva Air Plane - notified via email. This is after it has been retimed twice. The PE looks far inferior to the seats on the 772.
The PE seats are the same - just different seat covers and soft-fittings.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:21 am

Someone has been forgetting to update the fleet page with all these new aircraft NZ is receiving... Don't worry Air NZ, I've got your back and I've done it for you

Obviously, the above image is a joke and didn't make an appearance in this month magazine
jawnbc, princeville, royng and 1 others like this.

Last edited by henrus; Oct 2, 2018 at 1:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.