Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trent woes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
The AirNZ website has been updated till Octoberr with schedule changes. Nothing about PER or HNL, just seems to by the Buenos Aires flights and scattered others. No mention of hi-fly or other lease aircraft. Does that mean at least in the next few months that the schedule is unaltered for these destinations?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
They had some $4k return fares in March for around that time. The dates weren't just for later in the year, they were for as early as June I believe (I booked one for June). So perhaps if you wait you'll be able to get a good deal. Always a risk though!

The PE fares in the New Years sales is always pretty nice.
I grabbed a $2900 return PE x 2 PAX for July departure AKL - IAH then LAX - AKL, they had a $1100 discount of AKL - IAH at the time.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:23 pm

Being NZ winter season does that mean AirNZ has some more fat in schedule to do it without a wet lease? Or are they making do because they can't source a wet lease at the moment as busy with the northern summer?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm not sure you you have the impression NZ does't sell a lot of J class. The situation is anything but.
lol how much can they sell?
NZ has 787 with 20 business class seats and UA has 48? have a look at the 777-200 of NZ and compare it. So i guess my impression is NZ cant sell it because they really have almost no seats to sell.
I assume you think they sell J class because you have trouble upgrading or the few seats they have are full?
I also assume its because NZ is govt owned they didnt want to put a lot of J seats onto planes?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
The AirNZ website has been updated till Octoberr with schedule changes. Nothing about PER or HNL, just seems to by the Buenos Aires flights and scattered others. No mention of hi-fly or other lease aircraft. Does that mean at least in the next few months that the schedule is unaltered for these destinations?
No, it just means that at this point in time the only changes that have been made for the next few months is to the aircraft for EZE.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I would say there are many more changes to come over the next few months - all that is current loaded is what they have an known solution for.

If you have say an 22hour stop-over in Asia (single ticket) and NZ reduces your stop over - what are you rights? I've lost this once before with NZ 12hours in PVG been less than 5hours. They claimed that you couldn't have done anything in 12hours and refused to move me to the next day.

Just thinking with my up coming trip to LHR via HKG, if they shorten the 22hour transit do I have any rights to demand they change my flights?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by flybit
lol how much can they sell?
NZ has 787 with 20 business class seats and UA has 48? have a look at the 777-200 of NZ and compare it. So i guess my impression is NZ cant sell it because they really have almost no seats to sell.
I assume you think they sell J class because you have trouble upgrading or the few seats they have are full?
I also assume its because NZ is govt owned they didnt want to put a lot of J seats onto planes?
You really don't seem to have a clue in the world about what you're talking about, do you? Apples and oranges are not the same thing.

I'd opt for Air NZ's 1-1-1 789 layout any day of the week over UA's 2-2-2 with no direct aisle access. Comparing the Air NZ Code 1 789 with a UA 789 is also completely meaningless as Air NZ don't fly they aircraft on premium North American routes, it uses the 77W with once again a vastly superior 1-2-1 config with 44 seats in BP and more importantly 54 in PE meaning that 28% of the aircraft is true premium seating. On other routes they use the Code 2 789. Maybe I might need to mention the 1-1-1 seating again with direct aisle access in case you missed it.

You're the one who things they have trouble selling BP seats, not me. The fact that you can have flights where close to 40 of the 44 BP seats are fully paid pax vs upgrades delivers revenue figures (remember NZ are not cheap, they're at the high end of the market) most other airlines would simply dream of. Air NZ sell PE to the US for more than AA sell their business class for - that truly gives you an indication of how they have no shortage of people wanting to pay for premium seats.

I'm also unsure of what relevance the NZ Government owning 51% of the airline has to anything. They have no day to day input into the running of the airline.
libertyuk, AviationNZ and mikeyf like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I've paid OOP for business class fares and will likely pay for them again. Why? Because they fill up from people buying them. Getting upgraded on USA routes, especially LAX, is a genuine gamble.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
But that didn't happen. You didn't turn up at the airport, and were fully aware of the changes in advance - albeit because you looked rather than a notification, but looking at my flights is something every FF I know does regularly anyway before they fly.

Had you turned up at the airport and your plans disrupted due to Air NZ's failings you'd be well placed to accuse them of poor service, but right now it seems your major complaint is having to pay more to fly QF because the alternatives offered by NZ didn't suit.

There are thousands of passengers affected and it's clear for reasons unknown that you didn't get a notification despite others getting SMS, email and app notifications fine. In light of this I'm not sure what "better communication" you could expect when it's clear something was obviously incorrect in your booking that stopped notifications being sent out. If Air NZ didn't know about this they obviously aren't going going to be able to contact you.
Was at a function over the weekend and there was a senior Air NZ exec there. Spoke to them about being bumped of original flight and having to pay the fare difference and not being contacted. Agreed that should not have happened considered I was originally booked on the same flight all along. Agreed that it was very poor and was contacted today from them to apologise. They confirmed they had the correct details and that there was no excuse for not contacting me. More than happy with compensation I have been offered.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I would say there are many more changes to come over the next few months - all that is current loaded is what they have an known solution for.

If you have say an 22hour stop-over in Asia (single ticket) and NZ reduces your stop over - what are you rights? I've lost this once before with NZ 12hours in PVG been less than 5hours. They claimed that you couldn't have done anything in 12hours and refused to move me to the next day.

Just thinking with my up coming trip to LHR via HKG, if they shorten the 22hour transit do I have any rights to demand they change my flights?
According to their own policy, they won't be flexible unless you've miss connect. However, I'd be pushing hard if you're unhappy with the new times and want them changed to a day later. At this point in time, Air NZ is waiving change fees however fare differences apply so again, in theory, they could provide an extra day in HKG but a fare difference may apply.
https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/787-9-schedule-changes

Most of my NZ trips in recent times have been point to point trans Tasman or domestic services so I've got little experience with IROPS but if airlines like EY, VA, SQ and QF (all of which I've had experience with flight times changes) can make the change for free without fuss when the flight times change then I don't see why a quality airline like NZ couldn't as well.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
You really don't seem to have a clue in the world about what you're talking about, do you? Apples and oranges are not the same thing.

I'd opt for Air NZ's 1-1-1 789 layout any day of the week over UA's 2-2-2 with no direct aisle access. Comparing the Air NZ Code 1 789 with a UA 789 is also completely meaningless as Air NZ don't fly they aircraft on premium North American routes, it uses the 77W with once again a vastly superior 1-2-1 config with 44 seats in BP and more importantly 54 in PE meaning that 28% of the aircraft is true premium seating. On other routes they use the Code 2 789. Maybe I might need to mention the 1-1-1 seating again with direct aisle access in case you missed it.

You're the one who things they have trouble selling BP seats, not me. The fact that you can have flights where close to 40 of the 44 BP seats are fully paid pax vs upgrades delivers revenue figures (remember NZ are not cheap, they're at the high end of the market) most other airlines would simply dream of. Air NZ sell PE to the US for more than AA sell their business class for - that truly gives you an indication of how they have no shortage of people wanting to pay for premium seats.

I'm also unsure of what relevance the NZ Government owning 51% of the airline has to anything. They have no day to day input into the running of the airline.
wow hit a soft spot, but sure 20 J seats on a 787 is impressive, clearly there is a huge market for Business class
Ellice likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
787's now swapped out for 777-300's and 777-200's in AKL - IAH . . . . . have just seen it on my bookings but not updated on the Travel Alert page . . . (past 6th May)
Old May 1, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
787's now swapped out for 777-300's and 777-200's in AKL - IAH . . . . . have just seen it on my bookings but not updated on the Travel Alert page . . . (past 6th May)
What date? My bookings for 1 June / 9 June are still showing 787-9 v2.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
If they have free'd up some 77W's I wonder if some LAX-AKL or SFO-AKL service will be temporally operated by UA?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by West45
What date? My bookings for 1 June / 9 June are still showing 787-9 v2.
5th May 777-300, 6th of M.ay 777-200, also flight showing 9th May 777-200, 11th may showing 787 again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.