Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trent woes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by henrus
It might have something to do with the 9000+ people who've had flight changes, cancelations etc over the last few days (which isn't that bad when they carry an average of 43700 passengers per day)
This engine issue is affecting 18% of air New Zealand’s customers! on a daily basis. Wow.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
This engine issue is affecting 18% of air New Zealand’s customers! on a daily basis. Wow.
When you consider that most people fly there / back, it is likely to impact over 30% of people on a per trip basis (non-trivial to calculate as it depends on what route they are flying, etc.).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I do think we might see NZ starting to look on the market for a couple of used 77E's to get them through to 2020 - this issue is probably going to take an while to clear, and now probably hinders the launch of ORD.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I do think we might see NZ starting to look on the market for a couple of used 77E's to get them through to 2020 - this issue is probably going to take an while to clear, and now probably hinders the launch of ORD.
And whilst using Hi Fly in the short term will help, it may impact branding, so getting an aircraft type that can work as an Air NZ flight, with branding, crew, catering, etc. will make a big difference to the brand impact.
I wonder who will end up paying for it? I wonder if this is covered by Rolls Royce?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I will avoid HiFly, and for the first time in years opt for QF on TT
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:45 am

There is a video kinda explaining the problems they're having at the top of the news story posted by the NZ Herald (it should be the top link)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Air+...Zealand+Herald

Not really...

The 9000 people affected is a number from TVNZ based on people directly affected by cancelations and delays over a 5 day period (there are a lot more people if you count all the aircraft changes) but it's roughly 1800 people per day.

Air NZ carries on average 43700 passengers per day however of that ~65% are domestic passengers (28400 per day) traveling on domestic A320 or regional routes.

A further 9700 passengers per day travel on Air NZ short-haul routes (aka the seat to suit routes) and 5500 on long-haul flights to Asia, the Americas, and London.

The Trent issues are only causing problems on the international network which carries an average of 15200 passengers per day and if TVNZ's figure is right then it's only ~11.8% of international passengers that are impacted by the flight time changes, delays, and cancelations.

Take tomorrow for example just a return journey from Auckland to Sydney is canceled and was scheduled to be operated by a 777-200 which can potentially carry 312 passengers. In addition to that, there are scheduled delays or time changes to NZ92 (275 ppl), NZ6 (312 ppl), NZ28 (275 ppl), NZ89 (312 ppl) and NZ3 (342 ppl) which in total is 1828 people in total affected by time changes and cancelations (a figure that is similar to what TVNZ had)

In addition, there are also 13 flights with aircraft changes which (assuming each seat is taken) will affect another 3684 people and when added with the number above it means that 36% of those traveling tomorrow on Air NZ international flights will in some way be affected by the 787 Trent engine issues.

Last edited by henrus; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:32 am Reason: fixing link
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:32 am

The link doesn't work direct, but if you go the the NZ Herald, business section, then it is one of the top stories.

Your example about an AKL-SYD flight being cancelled is actually real, with the one originally scheduled for a 9am departure (with me ideally on it) being a 772. The result is that people were distributed across all the other flights and there are currently no seats available for an Air NZ / VA flight AKL-SYD tomorrow. Although I noticed one yesterday which was over $1000 (within a few dollars of what BP was selling about a week ago).

I've an RU in, but I'd put the odds of it clearing as close to zero.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
The link doesn't work direct, but if you go the the NZ Herald, business section, then it is one of the top stories.

Your example about an AKL-SYD flight being cancelled is actually real, with the one originally scheduled for a 9am departure (with me ideally on it) being a 772. The result is that people were distributed across all the other flights and there are currently no seats available for an Air NZ / VA flight AKL-SYD tomorrow. Although I noticed one yesterday which was over $1000 (within a few dollars of what BP was selling about a week ago).
I've changed the link to a google search result which should show the article as the first result.

I just had a look right now and there are a few seats but very expensive, I flew to Japan for $380 return on Jetstar last November meanwhile these NZ seat only one way fares are $800 from Sydney to Auckland. I'd hate to be needing to get from SYD to AKL tomorrow without someone else paying...

Qantas still has seats in Economy on all 4 of their services for $876 each
LAN and Jetstar's flights are full
Air NZ's 9:50am flight has some seats in PE ($981) and J ($1346) but full in Y
Air NZ's 5:50pm flight on an A320 is $801 for a seat only and the 6:55pm B772 service has some seat only tickets for $501.
Meanwhile, Virgin's two flights still have tickets for $851 in Y, however, these are only bookable on the VA website (they've been removed from the NZ website)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
there are lots of 747 laying around United and Delta just parked 40 planes.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by flybit
there are lots of 747 laying around United and Delta just parked 40 planes.
Though would need to find a wet lease flight and cabin crew, which is same scenario as HiFly not good for brand. Getting 777-200ERs means AirNZ can use Flight and Cabin Crew which are currently type rated, so can provide NZ brand.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Though would need to find a wet lease flight and cabin crew, which is same scenario as HiFly not good for brand. Getting 777-200ERs means AirNZ can use Flight and Cabin Crew which are currently type rated, so can provide NZ brand.
these 787 problems are going to be years not months, so NZ better start looking for planes hopefully not the ghetto 747s. ( however its very heavy premium cabin for NZ that does not sell a lot of J class.
Lots of airlines are going to be looking for 777 planes that are ETOPS so i expect very shortly there wont be any. One advantage of the 747 is no ETOPS issues however clearly its way to many seats for a small airline like NZ.
Good thing the Govt owns NZ, because compensation from RR might be a problem as this seems to be a huge issue now.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I have trips to USA yet to be booked for 26/6 and 22/7 and November this year Not liking those premium economy fares. Usually get a deal around 4K return on Air NZ. Now it is closer to 5.2k

Air NZ revenue managing and can not even think about IAH as an entry point.

“Please be patient with us in our troubles and in turn we will show our appreciation by gouging you”
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:53 pm

these 787 problems are going to be years not months, so NZ better start looking for planes hopefully not the ghetto 747s. ( however its very heavy premium cabin for NZ that does not sell a lot of J class.
Lots of airlines are going to be looking for 777 planes that are ETOPS so i expect very shortly there wont be any. One advantage of the 747 is no ETOPS issues however clearly its way to many seats for a small airline like NZ.
Good thing the Govt owns NZ, because compensation from RR might be a problem as this seems to be a huge issue now.
Yes understand the need for a dry lease due to time frame. But a 747 isn't helpful, to NZ, as the cost of setting up a plane for one or two planes is too expensive. Need to do initial training of flight crew, cabin crew, create current SOPs, etc does NZ still have the 744 sim or would they need to find sim time overseas? Getting a 777-200ER or 777-300ER with the same engines as current fleet and putting it on the current AOC, means can use currently trained crews and current SOP.

BA is talking about bringing back 744 makes more sense as they still have trained flight crew, cabin crew and a current SOP.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
however its very heavy premium cabin for NZ that does not sell a lot of J class.
I'm not sure you you have the impression NZ does't sell a lot of J class. The situation is anything but.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I have trips to USA yet to be booked for 26/6 and 22/7 and November this year Not liking those premium economy fares. Usually get a deal around 4K return on Air NZ. Now it is closer to 5.2k

Air NZ revenue managing and can not even think about IAH as an entry point.

“Please be patient with us in our troubles and in turn we will show our appreciation by gouging you”
They had some $4k return fares in March for around that time. The dates weren't just for later in the year, they were for as early as June I believe (I booked one for June). So perhaps if you wait you'll be able to get a good deal. Always a risk though!

The PE fares in the New Years sales is always pretty nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.